Hard accell...Slip/bump??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbybob

Reaction score
Ive aquired a new problem here recently,and its kinda strange.Under really hard acceleration in 1st gear,the bike seems to ...slip?..or something.Almost like it jumps outta gear,then right back in,and really snaps the hell outt my neck.I dont know if this is a clutch,tranny,or driveshaft issue?Anybody else out there have this same problem??:ummm:

I did with the stock 150 rear tire and i put a 170 on it and now it just snap's my neck and i love it.

when it pops out symptom is it free spinning like in neutral, wonder if its just clutch plates sticking, maybe a oil chg will help. is there any clunking when it slips out?

I would think if the clutch began slipping under hard accel it would not grab again that harshly full throttle.......................Tom.

Mine has done this too.....but very rarely. Feels just as you described, like running over a tiny bump....lasts for like half a second. I can't help you but as you are, I'm also curious to what some of the Vmax experienced guys have to say.

Last edited:
It's more then likely dogs wearing on the transmission. A worn clutch can grab again but it won't hit in hard like that. Tire spinning could do it but it should be easily recognized with some wiggling in the ass end.

Check to ensure it's full shifting and adjust the shifter.

The shift segment can go bad but that usually leaves you limited on what gears you can shift from or into.

Sean

It's more then likely dogs wearing on the transmission. A worn clutch can grab again but it won't hit in hard like that. Tire spinning could do it but it should be easily recognized with some wiggling in the ass end.

Check to ensure it's full shifting and adjust the shifter.

The shift segment can go bad but that usually leaves you limited on what gears you can shift from or into.

Sean

Im afraid that you may be correct about the tranny.Its definetly not the clutch,and i can tell when the tire is spinning.What usually happens when i leave hard on it,the back tire breaks loose for about a car length,then it does this ..slip grab thing,then hooks and leaves HARD! Im worried about leaving hard on it now!.I wanted to take it to the drag strip for shits and giggles,but i think i will hold off untill i remedy this problem.I dont wanna leave my tranny laying on the strip....:ummm:

I have to revive this old thread as this is exactly what my '97 just started doing.
I will be taking it out this afternoon to test for 2nd gear slippage, but from what I've read, for a bad second gear - when it pops out of 2nd it goes into neutral. My bike has this slip for half a second under acceleration. If I recall it was doing it in 1st, 2nd and possibly 3rd.

I see Sean mentioned to check to ensure full shifting and adjustment. Somewhere else, someone mentioned wearing different boots might have had an influence on the full shift....

At first I thought my Shinko 170 was spinning a bit then catching a grip. This could be as it is no longer a round profile, and has become flatter. Maybe I am getting into a lower coefficient of friction area or harder compound?
I am at 19K on the odometer. I don't power shift, but I do run it to redline a lot. Have not had any missed shifts that I can recall.
May also need to look at the drive line and gear teeth. No recent oil change and I use Shell conventional Rotella.

Any other thoughts or things to check?

I have to revive this old thread as this is exactly what my '97 just started doing.
I will be taking it out this afternoon to test for 2nd gear slippage, but from what I've read, for a bad second gear - when it pops out of 2nd it goes into neutral. My bike has this slip for half a second under acceleration. If I recall it was doing it in 1st, 2nd and possibly 3rd.

I see Sean mentioned to check to ensure full shifting and adjustment. Somewhere else, someone mentioned wearing different boots might have had an influence on the full shift....

At first I thought my Shinko 170 was spinning a bit then catching a grip. This could be as it is no longer a round profile, and has become flatter. Maybe I am getting into a lower coefficient of friction area or harder compound?
I am at 19K on the odometer. I don't power shift, but I do run it to redline a lot. Have not had any missed shifts that I can recall.
May also need to look at the drive line and gear teeth. No recent oil change and I use Shell conventional Rotella.

Any other thoughts or things to check?

Pre 1999 -----
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=10938

Thanks for the link Dragmaxster!

Took a look at the shifter linkage and it had some slop, so I added a piece of 0.005" shim stock and a second thin washer behind the retaining ring. Greased it up with nickel Never-Seez and took off for a test ride on a some empty road.

No issues shifting up or down between all the gears. Narrowed the problem to 2nd gear jumping out at 8,000 RPM while hard on the throttle. Then jumps back into gear. No 2nd gear slip during deceleration.

First and third gears hold until redline.

Looks like I have second gear going.

So I have some choices:
I pick up another engine (that could have the same issue) for a swap.
I fix second gear. (doable and I have the $$)
I live with it by backing off in second gear and getting quickly into third.
Pull the engine and send it to Sean. (maybe get upgrades as well)

I really should have grabbed that salvaged 2009 Vmax for $2K...

Lots of guys have used Damon's cd to fix their transmissions. Put the $ into new parts and undercutting the gear dogs.

Took a look at the shifter linkage and it had some slop, so I added a piece of 0.005" shim stock and a second thin washer behind the retaining ring. Greased it up with nickel Never-Seez and took off for a test ride on a some empty road.

No issues shifting up or down between all the gears. Narrowed the problem to 2nd gear jumping out at 8,000 RPM while hard on the throttle. Then jumps back into gear. No 2nd gear slip during deceleration.

So I have some choices:

So I have some choices:

In the meantime try holding the shifter up with your foot to keep it in gear.

My old '89 did something similar but it was the final drive.

My old '89 did something similar but it was the final drive.

Can you explain this further?

My '85 just started "bumping" in 2nd gear under hard acceleration. I'd like to be sure tranny wear is my issue before I tear a well running engine apart.

Thanks

Chris

I have noticed my 95( just hit 20,000 miles) doing this in second gear last year about once during the first 10 minutes of a ride. I did 300 miles this weekend and noticed it in more than just 2nd gear. First thought I had last year was something was off with the rear wheel, but I put a different one on and it still does it. Also it usually does it as about 2-3k, maybe up to 4k...just like something is missing or spinning.. My 95 has the DD clutch, I have also notice this bike is a lot harder shifting than my 90 (65,000)w/ barnett clutch.... not sure what to look at for the issue.. Think I might take it over to Skip for his opinion....Besides this the bike runs pretty well.... oh and it's not always doing this under hard acceleration, but mild twists...

Back