Clutch slippage problem or transmission?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtfisher1

Reaction score
backstory,

a few weeks ago i though i noticed some "hiccupping" on hard acceleration in at least 2nd and 3rd gear....after reading through the forums I figured it was clutch slippage and decided to change the oil and do the double D modification.... had another clutch spring and added it to the clutch....harder clutch pull but only could feel the "slipping" when accelerating full throttle in 3rd gear....it feels like the bike hiccups or slips or something a few times before I shift to 4th...

back to square one, decided to purchase a complete set of friction plates and replaced those yesterday... buttoned it all back up and test drove, still slipping in 3rd only.....

any ideas?

94 vmax, 50k miles, stage 7, Kerker etc...

thanks!

If the clutch is holding normal in 4th & 5th gear without slipping you may want to investigate rounded gear dogs on 2nd & 3rd?

I would agree. Most likely an issue with the transmission gear dogs not holding under load. A slipping clutch is more noticed in the higher gears when the torque ratios cause the most effort in the clutch.

point me in any place on how to check for rounded gear dogs? is this a "pull the engine and split the cases" issue?

I seem to have the same problem in 2nd and 3rd gear. When accellerating (very) quickly, it's harder to shift. It won't engage like when riding normal. I even had it miss a gear once or twice.

Last week I've replaced the clutch plates, steel plates and did the barnett conversion. I also bleeded the clutch. Problem remains at high revs.

Beyond my mechanical abilities. She may have to go up for sale as is or part her out. Too bad, she is a screamer, but I did pick her up for a good price so probably won't lose out too badly. I assume this is an expensive ($1500 or more) for a mechanic to fix?

Since its only doing it in 3rd on hard acceleration I suppose I could just drive it awhile. Even at 2/3rds throttle is really doesn't do it at all.

Latest posts

Back