Braded brake lines

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da_yammie

Reaction score
I have the 20 year old OEM lines on my 98. They seem ok but I'm changing out my front pads and will be flushing the fluids and getting new braded lines at the same time.

I have blue dot R1 calipers with a xjr1300 master cylinder. As a side note I have been very Happy with the feel, performance and look of the setup. I've been running it for 10 plus years. I wanted to keep the stock reservoir look so went with the xjr setup. As I recall the original vmax lines were a bit shorter than ideal during the initial install and fitting angles were a bit of a PITA. I had shorter drag bars on during the time but have longer ones now and have a small riser (~1.5") I think. Longer bars gave me some extra space for bar end mirrors, larger grips, etc. I also used the xjr clutch master. It has worked great but no noticable difference than stock. Put it on because I got them as a pair and I liked the adjustable levers and suymmetrical look. I'll post some pics later. The reservoirs are at a bit of an odd angle where the fluid level windows are not really useful. The angle is necessary to create the right lever angle. It's also a bit challenging to correctly position the bike for changing the brake and clutch fluid because of the angle. I usually temporarily loosen the brackets to help with that.

I'm leaning towards the two line setup. Double connection at the master and a line direct to each caliper. Anyone else have this setup (meaning blue dots and xjr masters)? Looking for advice on line lengths and fitting types. Read somewhere on here something about a "lateral bend" for the fittings on the calipers. Dug out my old ones to compare but have not had a real close look yet to see the difference.

Cheers
Paul

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I have had that set-up in the past and don't recall having any issues with the angle of the m/c but I have bars with more lift than yours.
Don't have any experience with a two line set-up. Assuming either a two or three line system is properly bled than can't think why there would be any advantage one over the other.
The banjo bolt on the Blue Spot's are at 90 degrees to those on the OE calipers which would require the OE hoses to be twisted to fit. IMHO not a good idea.

As for the length required it is really a 'how long is a piece of string' question...although using a piece of wire would be preferable. Use this to determine how long your chosen set-up needs to be (centre of banjo to centre of banjo) and also the angular relationship between them. Also decide if you want or need to have an angled or strait banjo.

Probably a good idea to talk to your favored supplier first though.

I got my 2 line setup from Sean and it was specifically for use with those calipers. Fit great! Get ahold of him.

Email Sean as he can get you custom length SS lines and in multiple colors!
I have the 20 year old OEM lines on my 98. They seem ok but I'm changing out my front pads and will be flushing the fluids and getting new braded lines at the same time.

I have blue dot R1 calipers with a xjr1300 master cylinder. As a side note I have been very Happy with the feel, performance and look of the setup. I've been running it for 10 plus years. I wanted to keep the stock reservoir look so went with the xjr setup. As I recall the original vmax lines were a bit shorter than ideal during the initial install and fitting angles were a bit of a PITA. I had shorter drag bars on during the time but have longer ones now and have a small riser (~1.5") I think. Longer bars gave me some extra space for bar end mirrors, larger grips, etc. I also used the xjr clutch master. It has worked great but no noticable difference than stock. Put it on because I got them as a pair and I liked the adjustable levers and suymmetrical look. I'll post some pics later. The reservoirs are at a bit of an odd angle where the fluid level windows are not really useful. The angle is necessary to create the right lever angle. It's also a bit challenging to correctly position the bike for changing the brake and clutch fluid because of the angle. I usually temporarily loosen the brackets to help with that.

I'm leaning towards the two line setup. Double connection at the master and a line direct to each caliper. Anyone else have this setup (meaning blue dots and xjr masters)? Looking for advice on line lengths and fitting types. Read somewhere on here something about a "lateral bend" for the fittings on the calipers. Dug out my old ones to compare but have not had a real close look yet to see the difference.

Cheers
Paul

For sure. I usually stock:
2 and 3 lines systems in stock, -1", and -2" lengths
in colors:
Clear/Silver
Black/Silver
Black/Black
and can order a multitude of color combinations.

I'll take some pics and be in touch this week. Tks for the tips everyone

Can someone please post a close-up pic of a stock caliper mounted so I can see the difference in the angle of the banjo fitting and brake line routing? Tks in advance
79967657c7dcf80ae288ea01181f8f16.jpg
0ec69a9eeaccbd97f1397179a981f971.jpg
48eff70942845346dd35e2e87eede98d.jpg
3420d3800f07e41865193cd6c90bd3cd.jpg
a81159d4db26b5fd7650748f37ef7c7f.jpg
a455e6990227bebb698549908a65fda2.jpg
e339f4d6457a76fe13e8e8a86f7c023f.jpg

Looks like pretty normal routing you have there though I usually run under the signal mount.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind when doing the install. It is a bit of a tight fit between the signal lights and the wind screen. Can't remember why I did it that way...

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind when doing the install. It is a bit of a tight fit between the signal lights and the wind screen. Can't remember why I did it that way...

I think actually remember now. Had to follow that path because of the angle the line comes off the xjr masters

If you are using OE brake lines it is the different angle on the R1 calipers compared the the OE jobbies that is the issue and requires a twist to fit (been there done that).
Assuming you are still using it, as far as I can recall there is no issue between the XJR m/c and the splitter.

Latest posts

Back