2nd gear fix advice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That advice above re photos is gold.

Im an ex mechanic and drawings or photos (easy with digital cameras/phones) are the best way to remind yourself of how it used to look. This is esp important if the rebuild will be delayed for whatever reason.
For example if you take valves out punch a length of card with labels for cyl and number etc.
I promise you will spend more time wishing you had later than actually doing it. Ask how I know...............

Photos are good for records yes, but I reckon more for re-assembly.
I also like putting bolts for separate components in separate boxes - and label them. I did this while I was on the tools every day. It helps. And if someone else has to work on it they will love you for it!
I stick bolts back in places where suitable too.

Remember exploded parts diagrams are usually found online if you don't have a book. Yamaha tend to get it right. But I assume if doing a gear you will have a manual.?

Also treat engine sealant very carefully. Less is more. It can block oil ways - very bad news - rattle rattle knock knock boom....

That advice above re photos is gold.

Im an ex mechanic and drawings or photos (easy with digital cameras/phones) are the best way to remind yourself of how it used to look. This is esp important if the rebuild will be delayed for whatever reason.
For example if you take valves out punch a length of card with labels for cyl and number etc.
I promise you will spend more time wishing you had later than actually doing it. Ask how I know...............

Photos are good for records yes, but I reckon more for re-assembly.
I also like putting bolts for separate components in separate boxes - and label them. I did this while I was on the tools every day. It helps. And if someone else has to work on it they will love you for it!
I stick bolts back in places where suitable too.

Remember exploded parts diagrams are usually found online if you don't have a book. Yamaha tend to get it right. But I assume if doing a gear you will have a manual.?

Also treat engine sealant very carefully. Less is more. It can block oil ways - very bad news - rattle rattle knock knock boom....

Sounds like some good advise. It is much appreciated. I think I recall the clymer manual even going so far as to built cardboard templates to insert bolts into as they relate to the engine. That seemed like it would help a lot for re assembly and then you know the bolt that had been in those threads for over 30 years is goin back in the same spot, I thought that was a pretty good idea.
So check it out guys I bought myself some time to do the fix.. by buying another V max...Thank god for tax season and an awesome girlfriend wife and selling my dirt bike combine all of those things and you get an 05. number 0016 of 2000, thought that was pretty cool. Just couldnt pass it up, so now I got the 85 to fix up and probably let my brother ride here and there this summer, do the tranny next winter. Are these bikes like a drug to anyone else too?

Yea, sadly they are. If my second gear popped I wouldnt even think twice about fixing it. Its my scoot so its the only option. Glad you got a replacement, thats gotta take the sting out of it.

Sounds like some good advise. It is much appreciated. I think I recall the clymer manual even going so far as to built cardboard templates to insert bolts into as they relate to the engine. That seemed like it would help a lot for re assembly and then you know the bolt that had been in those threads for over 30 years is goin back in the same spot, I thought that was a pretty good idea.
So check it out guys I bought myself some time to do the fix.. by buying another V max...Thank god for tax season and an awesome girlfriend wife and selling my dirt bike combine all of those things and you get an 05. number 0016 of 2000, thought that was pretty cool. Just couldnt pass it up, so now I got the 85 to fix up and probably let my brother ride here and there this summer, do the tranny next winter. Are these bikes like a drug to anyone else too?

Bummer, i have a 85 that needs a tranny fix as well. Was hoping we could team up and you fix yours while i fix mine. chances are that your 85 will be collecting dust for many yrs to come. just sell it now and get what you can for it.

Bummer, i have a 85 that needs a tranny fix as well. Was hoping we could team up and you fix yours while i fix mine. chances are that your 85 will be collecting dust for many yrs to come. just sell it now and get what you can for it.

I don't think it will collect much dust. I've been cleaning and polishing on it since I got it. The way I see it with two bikes in the garage now they wont get lonely at night. And a couple friends and my brother are going to be riding with me. It should be pretty easy this way to have someone to ride with.
When do you plan on doing your fix? Mine is still very rideable so I wasn't planning on tackling it until next fall or winter.
Brad

At this time the motor is back in the bike, done in the time this thread started.

Attachments

• 20170116_184626.jpg
    20170116_184626.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 20170116_200115.jpg
    20170116_200115.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 20170116_200652.jpg
    20170116_200652.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 20170118_195744.jpg
    20170118_195744.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20170118_205628.jpg
    20170118_205628.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 20170118_205642.jpg
    20170118_205642.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 20170226_152545.jpg
    20170226_152545.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 63
Yes, smooth and as planned, this is the second motor for this bike. Shop rates here are as high as 170/Hr to have some "Tech" learn about your bike..... If you tap the resources at your finger tips, the guys on this forum, get a good factory service manual and a clean organized work area, you can do it yourself and save the $$$$.
My first motor,an 85, was definitely a budget rebuild, paper,rubber, ring and valve. It ran well despite
being a fatigued motor(piston slap etc) but as mentioned I had guys here that you can call/email and get expert advice from when you cant make out a pic in the manual or have an electrical system or carburation question. Pics of the first motor and the second from John at PCW. You get a hell of a sense of pride and appreciation for your machine when you do your own service and repair.

Attachments

• 011212113408.jpg
    011212113408.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Gent Porter 012.JPG
    Gent Porter 012.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 53
I recently purchased a 2000 VMax and within a couple months second gear would slip back to neutral. I don't have the time or ability to attempt a repair myself. I live in South Carolina and would like to know if there is a repair shop in the southease someone could recommend.

I recently purchased a 2000 VMax and within a couple months second gear would slip back to neutral. I don't have the time or ability to attempt a repair myself. I live in South Carolina and would like to know if there is a repair shop in the southease someone could recommend.
I don't know anyone in your area but for an extra 1000 you could ship your intire bike to someone like Sean Morley from this forum who will fix it rite.
I believe it's around $500 each way to ship.
If you don't know someone locally that you can trust to do it right and you don't want to tackle it that may be an option.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Pcw is in New York. They're closer. I took my motor to Sean to do my transmission with him and would again if I was still in Texas. Kyle could also help you with the actual work (if he's available) in Tennessee. Doing the work is not that bad, but is better with a friend.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

This seems like the appropriate place to post this... After having two tries at the starter clutch repair, I was successful %100! :) I got to ride for exactly one week and while attending a local bike rally, a burn out seemed like a good idea in an altered state of mind?? Someone got a great picture for me...IMG_0172.jpg
Bike games were awesome also.
166fec3e9c136ff950df9b0de7d856cc.png

She never ate the wiener, but the bike ate its own third gear during the burn-out :(
I didn’t find out until I packed up and headed home.
e69040f301f3c158c1c3e17daa543fc3.jpg

Third gears just clatters :(
Double shifting into fourth got me home 1hr away.
After a week of reading and careful Insight I decided I was going to start looking into a new transmission and how to do that from the great white north. But first, I want to make sure the engine was still in good shape before making the big investment.
I rode it to a lake 30 minutes away just double shifting through 3rd with no problem. I may have hit 200kmph on the way home, just to be sure the engine was good :)
2nd last turn before my driveway, I came down thru 3rd gear and heard an awful wak! I shifted back up and drove 4 more blocks home. Rolled into my driveway with a bunch of blue smoke. Checked to see what was going on and there was $100 worth of 1 week old 5w 50 Yamalube dripping plentifully onto my driveway :/
I think I broke it !?
IMG_0212.jpg
IMG_0216.jpg
I was expecting a hole in the crankcase somewhere... But can’t find one?
IMG_0213.jpg
I’d like that solution of buying a replacement while I fix the first! Missed an 07 for $6250 by two days :(
Looks like I’m walking for a bit...
Any suggestions on which way to proceed?
Is this looking rebuildable?
If so, should I pull the motor to ship, or just ship the whole bike?
I could go get it and ride it back :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got engine replacement options should you want to go that route. Look along the top left rear of the case where the driveshaft would connect. That can crack if the trans binds or comes apart inside.

Looks like I might be seeing early indications of a second gear problem on my 98. Only happens occasionally when downshifting from 2nd to 1st. Never on an upshift. I thought that I might have just been a bit lazy on the downshift so tried to be more deliberate. I only seem to notice it when gearing down into or through a turn. It usually just goes right into neutral where I immediately feel the loss of engine braking or when I roll on the throttle it's already in neutral. This week for the first and only time I felt it actually pop out of second as I was rolling on the throttle after, down shifting, decelerating and attempting to accelerate out of the turn. I could feel the initial split second of power then nothing but neutral. I've a tank bag on lately that obscures my view of the neutral light so don't know if that was on our not. I've read through some posts and have long been aware of the 2nd gear weakness. Most of what I've read seems to focus more on hard upshifts. Like I said, no indication of that on mine. Even when hammering through the upshifts. I'm just going to keep an eye on it for the time being but would appreciate any input.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

98 was the last year for the old design shift segment assembly. 99 and up had a billet one (that can be retro fit). If you have a pin working loose that MIGHT be what's going on. Worth checking and can be done with it all in the bike. Just have to remove the clutch and baskets to access.

Back