Help break into the 10s tricks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty

Reaction score
Hey guys, a lot of Knowledge on this page and figured you were the ones to ask. I'm trying to get into the high tens. My current best is 11.27 @114.8 mph. I know my launch needs work but am working on that also. Ok, I have a 07 with ufo headers, slash tip exhaust, Morley muscle jet kit, and air box mod. (Still want to dyno tune) The things I have came up with so far are pulling the headlight fuse, pry the rear brake off the disk (and then try not to use it), run a little less psi in rear tire. Currently running a Shinko tourmaster. How low can I go? Do a second gear burn out, instead of first. Get tucked in at the line instead of waiting till after second gear. Buy a strap for the front end, pull it as far down as I can without rubbing. And besides shaving my body and racing naked, or racing on cool days anyone have any other tips? Thanks in advance!

Oh yeah, I've read how to launch a v-max and am trying to practice it. Currently launching at 4500-5000 rpm holding wide open and power shifting through all gears, easing out clutch in first to prevent wheel lift or spin. I get slight wheel lift into second. About 6-8"

What's your 60' time? I'm guessing you're in the 1.8's or worse? Improving there will have the biggest impact on your ET. A poor launch cannot be made up for even with a few more HP.

If you can get your 60' time in the low 1.7's, or 1.6's you are going to knock a couple of tenths off your ET.

Strapping the bike will help.....you'l be able to launch hard without fearing a wheelie.

Other than that losing weight off yourself and the bike will make a difference as well.
If you are close to 200 lbs. you are not going to get there on that Vmax.

Sounds like your technique is pretty much there. Once your 60ft times pick up your ET's will go down. I launch a lot harder than 5000rpm though.Get rid of all the accessories you don't need, mirrors, rear pegs, blinkers anything you don't need on the track.
If you are looking to pick up speed try a stage7 kit or turbocharger.
I run 12 lbs of pressure in the rear and just drop the fork tubes in the triple tree.
Put your chin on the faux tank, feet behind the pegs (get them up asap) slap yourself in the head once you prestage then keep your mouth closed the whole 1/4 mile.OH, and move to Pomona.

No need for center stand, rear pegs, mirror, all removed. and turn signals are very small aftermarket. It has exactrep rear fender with rear seat delete. I thought about dropping the forks in the triple trees but still want to be able to ride comfortably on the road. I'll try to launch harder with less rear pressure with the front maybe lowered and strapped! Thanks!

Tore the house apart couldn't find my time slips... Still looking... edit found the quickest one

Attachments

• 1457725895841660445166.jpg
    1457725895841660445166.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 86
You could buy a gen II , LEAVE IT BONE STOCK ,and run mid tens all day, with practice probably get into high nines.

Hopefully CaptKyle and Sean show up on this thread. They've both run into the 10's.

Your MPH seems low to me. I looked up my best quarter mile time. I remembered your times were very similar to mine. I weighed 190 at the time. My 60 ft was 1.78, a little worse than yours. My 1/8 was 7.20, and my 1/4 was 11.24 at 118.71. That was with just Marks exhaust. no jet kit. In the same night, my best MPH was 121.42. I know Kyle and Sean both broke the 10's with a pipe and jet kit, Stage 7/ morelys muscle respectively. Seat time is giant.

I'm guessing Pomona is the one in California! I'm running at 1500' elevation
66ft at pomona-You would hit the 10's here. Last week a guy selling his in Houston was hitting 10:50's.That is a sea level track also.

Tore the house apart couldn't find my time slips... Still looking... edit found the quickest one

That's a great 60' on a Gen 1 by someone that is not a regular at the track on a bike that is not really modded at all for racing.

If you could knock a tenth off of that 60' (won't be easy) you'll improve your ET by 1.5 to 2 tenths. One tenth in the 60" is worth more at the 1/4 mile mark. That put you in the 11.0's. Very close.

Lose some weight on the bike and find a few HP and you're there.

Your best results would be calculated at 59 degrees at sea level at 0 % humidity and then adjusting your air pressure in the rear tire usually 18 to 10psi depending on conditions. Lots of factors there.

Could switch to a Shorai battery and take about 10lbs off the bike. Ive been running one for a few years now and have zero complaints!

Cool! Thanks for the encouragement! I have until May 15 to wait for the motorcycle open drags! That calculator is pretty cool!

+1 on trump joke!

Latest posts

Back