Help break into the 10s tricks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Practice , practice & more practice is all I can say & 200 lb guy can do it. I was running pretty consistant high 10's & I weighed in at 195 in my Birthday suit . I was leaving the line at around 5500. I had an all stock motor with a Marks 4 into 1 & a stage 7 with the Vboost still active & a heavy ass Kosman 17 inch rear wheel . I had some slips with a little better time but I cant seem to find them. I cant say this one is a good slip the 60ft was terrible !

Attachments

• Max time slip.jpg
    Max time slip.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 55
I'm power shifting about 8500 rpm, it's coming up to about 9000-9250 rpm, am I over revving it? Do I need to shift sooner or can the bike handle it? Completely stock engine with about 5000 miles on it. It does blow out some oil out of crank case relief where oil fill used to be. Just a few drops.

I didn't realise that was bad, compared to mine it's awesome! Guess that's where the practice comes in! Lol

My fastest reaction time is -.0412 faster than the speed of light. Lol I'm kidding I blew it

I'm power shifting about 8500 rpm, it's coming up to about 9000-9250 rpm, am I over revving it? Do I need to shift sooner or can the bike handle it? Completely stock engine with about 5000 miles on it. It does blow out some oil out of crank case relief where oil fill used to be. Just a few drops.

The redlines have changed thru out the years. I believe the earlier ones the "factory" redline was 9500, and the later ones is 9000 (but there is no difference in the motors). Everyone basically believes that the change in redlines was due to people over revving the bikes especially in 1st and 2nd gears because they will rev up quick.

I have dynod mine probably 80 times with the rev limiter (a stock bike doesnt have one) with the rev limiter at 9500, with no issues.

That being said, Dale Walker would shift his at 10200
http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/launching.htm

In the article he talks about reversing your shift pattern as well. Ive done it.....and it is AMAZING. Below is copied from an old V-boost magazine.

The “MASON MOD”:
Reverse shift pattern 1 up 4 down.
This mod will allow for faster and
more precise up shifts.
● COST: under $100
● TIME: under 2 hrs.
● DIFFICULTY LEVEL: 3 out of 10
HOW TO:
● Remove the left foot peg bracket.
● Take note of position of shift pedal.
● Loosen lock nuts on shift rod
(linkage),Top one is left hand
thread.
● Remove the shift rod (linkage)
● Cut about 3/8” off each end of
the shift rod (linkage). A Dremel
tool works well.
● Remove pinch bolt on (splined)
shift lever assembly.
● Pull splined shift lever off of shaft
and rotate it CCW to about half way
between the 9:00 and 10:00 position
+ or - to your liking. Re-install
splined lever and pinch bolt.
● Re-install shift rod (linkage) between
shift pedal and shift lever.
Adjust shift pedal close to original
position.
● Install foot peg with forward
bolt only so peg bracket can swing
for clearance.
● Lift peg bracket up close
to shift lever and mark bracket for
clearence.
● Remove bracket and cut just
enough metal to clear all shift apparatus.
(Dremel tool works well)
● Touch up cut area with paint.
● Re-install peg and bracket when dry.
●Adjust shift pedal to your liking
and tighten lock nuts.
Don Mason VMOA #970

The redlines have changed thru out the years. I believe the earlier ones the "factory" redline was 9500, and the later ones is 9000 (but there is no difference in the motors). Everyone basically believes that the change in redlines was due to people over revving the bikes especially in 1st and 2nd gears because they will rev up quick.

I have dynod mine probably 80 times with the rev limiter (a stock bike doesnt have one) with the rev limiter at 9500, with no issues.

That being said, Dale Walker would shift his at 10200
http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/launching.htm

In the article he talks about reversing your shift pattern as well. Ive done it.....and it is AMAZING. Below is copied from an old V-boost magazine.

The “MASON MOD”:
Reverse shift pattern 1 up 4 down.
This mod will allow for faster and
more precise up shifts.
● COST: under $100
● TIME: under 2 hrs.
● DIFFICULTY LEVEL: 3 out of 10
HOW TO:
● Remove the left foot peg bracket.
● Take note of position of shift pedal.
● Loosen lock nuts on shift rod
(linkage),Top one is left hand
thread.
● Remove the shift rod (linkage)
● Cut about 3/8” off each end of
the shift rod (linkage). A Dremel
tool works well.
● Remove pinch bolt on (splined)
shift lever assembly.
● Pull splined shift lever off of shaft
and rotate it CCW to about half way
between the 9:00 and 10:00 position
+ or - to your liking. Re-install
splined lever and pinch bolt.
● Re-install shift rod (linkage) between
shift pedal and shift lever.
Adjust shift pedal close to original
position.
● Install foot peg with forward
bolt only so peg bracket can swing
for clearance.
● Lift peg bracket up close
to shift lever and mark bracket for
clearence.
● Remove bracket and cut just
enough metal to clear all shift apparatus.
(Dremel tool works well)
● Touch up cut area with paint.
● Re-install peg and bracket when dry.
●Adjust shift pedal to your liking
and tighten lock nuts.
Don Mason VMOA #970
Photos---
http://v4musclebike.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23475

I don't take my Vmax to the track but I do launch it pretty hard at most lights.
I did the Mason Mod (reverse shift pattern) years ago and I love it.
I almost never miss a 1-2 shift now and with 1 down - 4 up it was pretty common.

Attachments

• Vmax-Reverse-Shift-Pattern.jpg
    Vmax-Reverse-Shift-Pattern.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Vmax-Reverse-Shift-Pattern-2.jpg
    Vmax-Reverse-Shift-Pattern-2.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Vmax-Reverse-Shift-Pattern-3.jpg
    Vmax-Reverse-Shift-Pattern-3.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 45
Thanks traumahawk! It always takes me a minute to get used to the shift pattern anyhow (riding old Honda atc's)! I'm gonna try that! Don't get what the 100 bucks is for though? Sounds pretty DIY

Thanks traumahawk! It always takes me a minute to get used to the shift pattern anyhow (riding old Honda atc's)! I'm gonna try that! Don't get what the 100 bucks is for though? Sounds pretty DIY
it should say under $10, which I assume is for the cost of new dremmel wheels.

Exactly the kind of trick I was looking for!, although I understand the importance of practice. Thanks! hell I might be able to knock half a sec off with all this knowledge! Can you see my head growing!

Yep, I dont either. I just used the bench grinder, and then some paint that I had on the shelf to cover up the grinding marks. So....I didnt even spend 10 bucks.

Ha ha ha! Thanks guys! Let some more air out of the rear, pulled the front forks down with a strap, pulled the headlight fuse, burned the piss out of the rear in second in the water box, launched a little harder and some where between a rear tire spinning wheelie, I managed a 10.9491 @ 119.90 mph in the 1/4!!! Just wanted to say thanks! (And maybe brag a little!) Fyi I'm also posting my time slip in fastest thread also!

Attachments

• DSC_0051.jpg
    DSC_0051.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 32

Latest posts

Back