Clutch never fully disengages

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPresident

Reaction score
Getting a 01 vmax up and running from the previous owner disassembling it and i ran into an interesting issue. After doing the carbs, starter clutch(three times), tires, fluids ect I went to ride it and found that with the lever out in 1st i only got minimal power to the ground.

Counted the clutch plates and was one clutch plate and one friction plate short.

Got it back together and now i have full power to the ground but when i pull the clutch it stays 10% engaged. For instance if i rev the engine at a stop in first (with the lever pulled) the bike pulls against the brakes and down shifting while rolling with the lever in causes an RPM increase.

The lever itself wont pull all the way to the handle and stops about a half inch away.

too many plates? bolts on the clutch spring too tight? Plug in the hydraulic line?

What have I done now guys

beginning from the outside of the bike: 7 friction plates. 6 clutch plates. Then the retainer ring....followed by another friction plate - if I remember correctly.

Does the bike have the OEM handlebar master & lever?

Did you get the plates and discs line up with the dots on the clutch basket? Also the pressure plate needs lining up right too.

I lined up the double dots on the clutch plates but the metal friction plates i thought just all had to go one direction (round edge all facing out or in)

Did you by chance install a new clutch lever ? I had an similar issue and had to reuse the original brass fitting.

What about the pushrod?

And yeah, i flushed it entirely because the fluid was horrible. Looked like it was full of rust, so I ran about half a bottle of DOT through it.

Yessir. The pressure plate was lined up too (just that one single dot marking right?)

For six (?) bolts holding down the spring with the spring retainer do those go flush with their holes? or is there supposed to be a gap there.

The spring retainer bolts don't have to be very tight. I think they call for less than 10ftlbs of torque, and if tightened too tightly, the OEM bolts are soft enough that they stretch and/or snap off easily. But, yes, when tightened down properly, they would be holding the spring retainer flat, and with no gap under them.

yeah i basically hand tightened them.

So what it FEELS like is that i pull the lever to expand the clutch and 3/4 of the way thought pulling the lever i hit a wall and the clutch cant open any more so its stuck with 1/4 friction like somebody taped a marble to the inside of my clutch cover and the push rod is having to stop short

And just to be clear there is a friction plate (black material) on as both the first and last plates with the smooth metal clutch plates between them. so it goes half friction first, smooth plate, retainer spring/wire, then friction/smooth/friction/smooth and ending with a friction plate last before putting the pressure plate back on.

And just to be clear there is a friction plate (black material) on as both the first and last plates with the smooth metal clutch plates between them. so it goes half friction first, smooth plate, retainer spring/wire, then friction/smooth/friction/smooth and ending with a friction plate last before putting the pressure plate back on.

Sounds right....given you have the correct number of each. :ummm:

Check this thread.
About halfway thru Blackmax had a similar issue. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=40808

There are also some other suggestions that may be you problem

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
In that thread was the order of where the pushrod was placed #20 I accidently put on the wrong side of #17 and the lever would not pull all the way to the bar.
I would look at yukondaves thread on the segment for step by step.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1996/V-MAX 1200 - VMX12H/CLUTCH/parts.html

Ok, so it looks like ill just have to pull the clutch and make sure all the pushy bits are in the right order.

Thanks a bunch guys ill let you know what we find

More weird news! was checking the order of the push rod and such and noticed that the clutch lever would stop in the usual spot unless i pushed the pushrod back in REALLY hard and forced all the fluid to return. then the lever actions fully.

Ideas?

More weird news! was checking the order of the push rod and such and noticed that the clutch lever would stop in the usual spot unless i pushed the pushrod back in REALLY hard and forced all the fluid to return. then the lever actions fully.

Ideas?
Having a hard time picturing what you are saying- the clutch lever should never be touched while doing any of this.

Latest posts

Back