Help! Mechanics messed up my bike?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sblankert

Reaction score
Earlier I had problems you guys identified as a failed starter clutch, correctly. I managed to get my bike started and took it up to the Yamaha dealership in Raleigh and they didn't call me back to tell me my bike was finished which made me a bit concerned.

When I called today, they told me the mechanic said it was impossible to get the clutch off the flywheel, and that the bike is toast. I told them there is a tool for pulling it off the flywheel, and the guy I spoke to said they broke two of said tools, and that they couldn't get it off. They said that it would cost a fortune to fix the bike because bearings are in the case ?!?!? They also said they are going to have to give me a box full of parts with a partially disassembled bike.

What the heck did they do to my bike? Is a starter clutch replacement going to do all that to it? I need to know, and should I be calling their general manager to complain? Or what do I do about this?

Earlier I had problems you guys identified as a failed starter clutch, correctly. I managed to get my bike started and took it up to the Yamaha dealership in Raleigh and they didn't call me back to tell me my bike was finished which made me a bit concerned.

When I called today, they told me the mechanic said it was impossible to get the clutch off the flywheel, and that the bike is toast. I told them there is a tool for pulling it off the flywheel, and the guy I spoke to said they broke two of said tools, and that they couldn't get it off. They said that it would cost a fortune to fix the bike because bearings are in the case ?!?!? They also said they are going to have to give me a box full of parts with a partially disassembled bike.

What the heck did they do to my bike? Is a starter clutch replacement going to do all that to it? I need to know, and should I be calling their general manager to complain? Or what do I do about this?

I think that they couldn't get the flywheel off and hopefully the box of parts is just the starter gear train. Get through to the owner of that dealership and let him know you're not happy. We're talking routine 1 1/2 hour job, even for someone as slow as me. Sorry you had such a bad experience, but that's what I hear from dealership service regularly.Can ya get in there and take some pics and post them up here? The parts in the box especially. I'd talk to a lawyer before taking the bike back, even though I'd want it out of that shop fast. Most lawyers don't charge for a first time consult and can give you your options. We can talk you or anyone you know, with basic mechanical experience, through this job.
Steve-o

Last edited:
Find my youtube video and show them that. It's not that hard to do. Sometimes they get stuck on there but i've never failed to get one off.

Hopefully you signed a job card which would have entered you into a contract.
They will do the work on the job card and you will pay them.

If they have failed to keep their end of the contract then I would have thought that you should be able to get someone else to complete the job at their expense.

As Steve says, a lawyer may be one option but before you do that I would put in writing what you want done to resolve the matter and the timeframe in which this should happen.

If you get a negative response then legal representation may be necessary.

In the UK we have a Small Claims Court designed to resolve such issues without resorting to lawyers - is there a similar system in the US?

Hopefully you signed a job card which would have entered you into a contract.
They will do the work on the job card and you will pay them.

If they have failed to keep their end of the contract then I would have thought that you should be able to get someone else to complete the job at their expense.

As Steve says, a lawyer may be one option but before you do that I would put in writing what you want done to resolve the matter and the timeframe in which this should happen.

If you get a negative response then legal representation may be necessary.

In the UK we have a Small Claims Court designed to resolve such issues without resorting to lawyers - is there a similar system in the US?

Yes, we have Small Claims Court here in the US also Steve.

Wow, I can pop off my flywheels even with the motor on the bench. Not rocket science. I can't imagine they broke two pullers trying. Poor soft bolts maybe. I'd take them Sean's video and laugh in their faces.

Ok, update to this fiasco:

I talked to the general manager and he is going over there to look at the bike tomorrow (hes from another sister store in Raleigh) .

I got a call from the parts manager, who was quite belligerent, telling me I don't seem to understand the situation. When they pulled the started clutch out of the bike, it disintegrated in their hands. That is the reason junk fell into the case. He said those pieces were probably in the bike before I brought it up there. Is that even possible? Anyway, he said the general manager doesn't understand motorcycles, but they are going to explain to him how the bike was messed up before it even got to them.

The problem is, I started it and drove it 75 miles to their dealership, so I'm not sure if what they are saying is even possible. It had some trouble getting started, but it started.

Is there anyone here who I can refer the general manager to in case they try to snow him? Someone who can talk to him over the phone who knows about these clutches? I can have them send pictures to you showing you the damage and you can tell me if what they are talking about is even possible.

The parts manager is trying to tell me repairing the bike is going to cost more than the bike is worth, but I just got it ( a 2003 with 6k miles on it) 6 months ago, and put 9k miles on it, so I don't think it is as worthless as they are trying to say.

It was a beast bike before the starter clutch started going out, I really don't want to trash it because of some BS. Is there someone the general manager can talk to so he has an outside opinion? A phone number? I would appreciate it, I'd like to rescue my bike if possible.

I'm starting to go through Vmax withdrawal. I've been renting a cage for the past few weeks until this gets sorted out, and just so you know, i haven't driven anything but a vmax for the last 14 years, rain, shine, sleet, or snow (no joke). The 2003 is my fifth vmax. if you guys could help I'd appreciate it.

Have them send pics if they want. Either text 316-619-8411 or better to email at [email protected]

Even if it disentegrated when they took it apart the pieces will fall into the oil pan. That can either be removed to get to those parts (which requires the exhaust to be removed) or sometimes it can be fished out of there.

If you have to pay a dealer their hourly shop rate I would agree that it might be more then you or they might think it's worth. But, if you do the work yourself the parts won't hardly cost much at all.

Let's reserve judgement until we get those pictures.

My starter clutch went bad over the summer. Steve-o (sdt354) came over and helped me replace it. The old one fell to pieces on the way out. I can assure you it didn't break my bike in any way. Lucky for me nothing fell into the case, but even it it did, like Sean said it's just a matter of getting to the pieces.

It may crack and split but disintegrate? Something is really fishy there. A telescopic magnet with a boroscope will allow you to fish any piece that may have had fallen into the sump.

Thanks for the support guys.

I would do the work myself, but I live in an apartment, and the manager does not let me work on my bike in the parking lot. I still do little things myself, but I can't really tear into the bike, or believe me, I would do all my own work.

I'm waiting for the general manager to call me today, and we'll see where things go from there.

I can't believe I RODE a bike in there and they are telling me not only to pick up the bike in pieces, but to settle up for labor.... that grinds my gears something fierce.

Back