Poorly fitted clutch lever

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalbo

Reaction score
I have only had my Max for about 4 months. I had noticed that sometimes the gear changes were a little 'clunky' especially at slower speed. I found that they were a little smoother when accelerating a little harder. Last week, whilst moving the bike on my drive, I slipped and dropped the bike and it went down on the left side. I was very lucky as there was no damage to the bike, other than a slightly bent clutch lever. I removed the lever and I was able to straighten it. This is the first bike I have had with a hydraulic clutch, so I had a look at the mechanism. There was a plastic pin with a spring, that seats into the Master cylinder. The other end of the pin seats into a small round metal insert in the lever. getting it all back together and keeping the washers in place took me a good 30 minutes, as my eyesight isn't so great these days.
Strange thing is, now the bike has much smoother and quieter gear changes. No more 'clunking', its as smooth as chocolate. I can only imagine that the last time someone had removed the lever, something wasn't seated correctly. Funny how something bad happening can result in something good.

Might have to get some pictures? The stock setup doesn't have any plastic in it. It's got a steel push rod with flange. One end fits into the brass bushing at the lever into a slot. The other fits into the master with a small rubber seal around the flanged area and smooth end down inside (the square end faces outboard).

Maybe an aftermarket lever and/or master cyl. from his description?

I have to say that I didn't look closely at the pin. I assumed it was plastic, but it may have actually been metal? I had no idea that the end that went into the rubber seal on the cylinder is 'sided'. Like I said my eyesight isn't great and it was a very hot day. I was just happy that I got it in and located the other end into the lever. I assume if it is sided, if I hadn't got it the right way round it wouldn't have gone in? The insert in the lever wasn't brass, it was steel. Whether I put it back correctly i don't know, but i'm assuming that I couldn't have caused any damage? Anyway it seems to be working fine. Thanks for the info.

Also, from what I can remember, both ends of the push rod appeared to be rounded. I took it out and it looked as though it didn't matter which way round it went back in as both ends were the same. The Master cylinder is the original. Not sure about the push rod or the lever. I guess the lever and push rod may have been replaced at some point, the bike is 30 years old. I wish I'd paid a bit more attention whilst it was apart. I'm reluctant to pull it apart again to check, unless it is likely to cause damage to the rubber seal if I've done it wrong.

If memory serves well the 'collar' on the rod is off-set - one way works as Yameringha intended the other way works...but not very well.

I know this to be true - been there and done it.

Also, from what I can remember, both ends of the push rod appeared to be rounded. I took it out and it looked as though it didn't matter which way round it went back in as both ends were the same. The Master cylinder is the original. Not sure about the push rod or the lever. I guess the lever and push rod may have been replaced at some point, the bike is 30 years old. I wish I'd paid a bit more attention whilst it was apart. I'm reluctant to pull it apart again to check, unless it is likely to cause damage to the rubber seal if I've done it wrong.

One end is rounded the end inside the pin is flat.

Attachments

• 888888.jpg
    888888.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 23
Back