Brake calipers upgrade

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an early model and fitted new (standard size) discs and MT09 calipers but my son made me some spacers to allow fitment

DSC02717.JPG

Does anyone make a bracket.that allows busa caliper.to be ran .on the rear.of an 85 ?
I've already got. 93 forks up front.with r6 blue pots.would like to upgrade the rear.

The front bracket we sell can be modified for the rear fitment. I haven't gotten around to making them specific for the task so you'd have to cut and grind one of them to fit. The rear usually have plenty of power and don't need much more. I have kits to fit the stock on to large rotors. I have brake caliper mounts to fit the R1 4 piston on stock or larger rotors as well.
If you do the Busa on the rear you also need a little longer line which I also keep on hand.

Sean

I have 2000 Vmax, it is sense to upgrade brakes? I have all ready 4 spot calipers, but I'm thinking about 6 pot sumitomo from fzr1000.

They do function better wit more pad surface and piston volume for more power and feel. It will have more lever travel though so keep that in mind. I do have some good used pairs on hand or you can source your own. Email me at [email protected]

Can I swap my 85 calipers for a 2004 Yamaha vmax calipers. Will the calipers on a 2004 fit on the 1985 vmax?

Can I swap my 85 calipers for a 2004 Yamaha vmax calipers. Will the calipers on a 2004 fit on the 1985 vmax?

Did you read the earlier posts in this thread? I think not, as this has already been answered.

re: blue spot R1 callipers - is the difference over the standard callipers noticeable?

re: blue spot R1 callipers - is the difference over the standard callipers noticeable?

I have blue spot R1 calipers, the FZR1000 6-piston Sumitomo's, and stock OEM 4-piston late-model (1993+) Gen. 1 brakes. The best bang for the buck, for my type of riding, is the OEM 4-piston late-model Gen. 1 brakes with HH pads and SS brake lines. That's the least-expensive upgrade which gives a change you can feel, for the least $.

Yes R1 blue-dot or gold-dot calipers are better than the Gen 1 OEM, Yes the 6-pot Sumitomos give more swept area than the OEM two opposed piston pairs. However, unless you ride hard, the differences in-use will be minimal. For some people organic pads are best, because they don't ride hard-enough to make the sintered-metal HH compound pads perform as they can.

FM: thanks for the fast update and useful info.
I should be able to pick up a pair of blue spot and braided lines for just under $200 (haven't checked the exchange rate) so it is not crazy expensive ... but being below average rider, it probably makes no difference to me; I may well do it just because....

Incidentally, are R1 and R6 blue spot the same?

I would guess blue spots are lighter than oem - anybody know the difference?

I'm on everyone''s favourite auction site and it looks like FZ1S-Fazer-Brake-Calipers are the same - anyone confirm? (Vmax disc = 298 mm, Fazer = 320mm but they do look very similar)

Attachments

• callipers.jpg
    callipers.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I know its a big ask but can anyone measure the dimensions for the R1 calliper, and alsofor FZS fazer 1000 and 600 (whcih has same disc size but pistons seem to be same size too).

My guess is that Yamaha would use the one calliper (aren't they made by someone else?) and just move the mounting lug holes on the fork lowers for the different disc size .... although the converse could equally apply.

Attachments

• FZS calliper dims.jpg
    FZS calliper dims.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 15
The standard mounting calipers like that are all the same. Different colored and even different type inserts were used depending on the model. The gold center use aluminum pistons with anti stick coating and are far smoother operating then the steel piston versions. Again remember these are not an "upgrade" compared to normal 4 piston 93-07 calipers (most people think they are but that's only because they changed the pad composition).

Attachments

• R1 Calipers.jpg
    R1 Calipers.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Silver Dot Roadstar Caliper.jpg
    Silver Dot Roadstar Caliper.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Silver Dot Raider Caliper.jpg
    Silver Dot Raider Caliper.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Silver Dot Warrior Caliper.jpg
    Silver Dot Warrior Caliper.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Blue Dot R1 Caliper.jpg
    Blue Dot R1 Caliper.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Gold Dot R1 Caliper.jpg
    Gold Dot R1 Caliper.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 8
ok - so are you saying the callipers from Fazer 600 and 1000 are the same as those on the R1 ?

oh, the reason why I ask is the Fazer 600 are cheapest, followed by FZ1S then the R1 callipers - a potential saving of about 30%..

Now I'm getting confused, if it is not an 'upgrade', why do people bother changing them? Is it that R1 pads are better than those available for Vmax brakes making them better?

Last edited:
ok - so are you saying the callipers from Fazer 600 and 1000 are the same as those on the R1 ?

oh, the reason why I ask is the Fazer 600 are cheapest, followed by FZ1S then the R1 callipers - a potential saving of about 30%..

Now I'm getting confused, if it is not an 'upgrade', why do people bother changing them? Is it that R1 pads are better than those available for Vmax brakes making them better?

They THINK it is an upgrade.

Me personally I went with the FZR 1000/YZF 750R 6 pot calipers. 6 pot calipers for an almost 50% increase in surface area of the pad. The thing that most people dont consider. You DONT want more clamping power. That will lock up the wheel, and can make you slide. You want more GRIPPING power. I also have adjustable levers, which helps.

Attachments

• 8072-1372242981-58b8c529b3d75de0d5c622e3e7453f5f.jpg
    8072-1372242981-58b8c529b3d75de0d5c622e3e7453f5f.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 34
It's the "mod", "overclock" crowd. They think if they put something new on the bike, ANYTHING new, it's modded and as such is better. Just like they'll buy a brand new, top of the line video card and overclock it and burn it the hell up for no other reason than they can say, "It's overclocked!"

My number one bike "improvement mod" gripe is Power Commander. I've seen countless people completely screw their bikes up putting that thing on their bike without knowing the first thing about what it takes to make it actually be an improvement.

I actually co-signed on a bike for a friend of mine once. First thing he said was he was getting a power commander. It was a 2008 Suzuki SV 1000. I told him not to do it. He did it anyway. Screwed the bike right up. :rolleyes:

He rode it screwed up until he wrecked it 6 weeks later swearing it was better.

Same with brake mods. If you're a pro and racing on a track against a clock, sure. You will pick up some time. If I had to guess, maybe a couple 10th's of a second.

But we're not pros. We're not on a track. We're not racing against a clock. Odds are, you'll wind up like so many others: spending a ton of money, finding it isn't any better at all, but jumping on the bandwagon of "it's a mod so it's better" so you feel better about blowing all that money.

You would be much better served (as mentioned above) trying out different sets of brake pads to find out which "feels" best to you. Most everything else is just talk and wishful thinking from people with far too much money on their hands.

The Sintered type R1 pads are available for the Vmax. But, people in the past swapped the calipers out and got that pad upgrade and all of sudden it was the best thing they did. They could have done the same by simply changing to the better pads for their stock calipers. The real upgrades require either increased pad surface area (like the 6 pistons have) or increased leverage due to larger rotors. We offer all of these options to our customers.

Back