Pulsating rear break

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marciofm

Reaction score
Last 2-3 months, rear break started pulsating.

Break pads are totally gone now.

I’ve disassembled the whole wheel for power coating it a while before, but cannot precise if the pulsating started short after that,

Any suggestions on how to start looking for the reason as I will change the break pads anyway.

Thank you,

A warped rotor, probably, Chinese replacement is cheaper than NOS OEM part.

Where in Miami are you?

When your wheel was coated, did they mask the rotor mounting surface? If not, and its been coated, that could possivly cause the rotor to sit a bit off kilter. A new rotor isnt going to fix that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Kendall, mear Miami Dade Collage.

Is this one a good choice?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Roto...862358?hash=item3f929f7116:g:P1QAAOSw9p9aa7aN

If you have another one that would be good, let me know, please!

Thanks

That looks OK, cheap-enough. A new OEM is probably $300! I just checked patzilla.com, 'unavailable.' It's listed as the right side, though for the life of me I don't know why either front couldn't work. I think the rear disc is 282 mm, same as the front 1985-1992 rotors. Someone else may comment on that. OK, I checked the spec on ebay you posted & it is 282 mm. I can see that using a front caliper would need to be only one side, when re-purposed for the rear, because of the hose mount point.

The OEM front rotors for the 1993-2007 bikes are $161 apiece at partzilla.com.

It has been a while since the power coating, I cannot be completely sure if they protected the area the rotor seats.
But I’ve done the service in a very good paint shop that makes a lot of motorcycle wheels.
Since my VMAX is a 93 with about 20k miles, and the rotors surface does not look too good, it maybe a good idea to try the new rotor I posted previously.
Once disassembled I can make sure the seating is with not power coated.
I’m gonna order rotor and pads and post the results later.

Thank you all!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back