uk spec calipers on us spec bike?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timster

Reaction score
HI

The piston seals on the front brakes of my 98 US spec vmax all need replacing.

They are different to the uk calipers and I was quoted £132 for the seals from Yamaha !

Was wondering if uk spec calipers are a straight replacement or do I need to suck up the postage charges of usa ebay?

I think you must be getting the pistons and the seals for that price. Here's partszilla.com:
The price after the part # is MSRP, what you pay is on the line below that.

CALIPER SEAL KIT
3HE-W0047-50-00 $35.45 MSRP
$24.41 you pay

1993-2007 all the same, two pair opposed pistons, which is four total pistons per front caliper. 100 mm o.c. mounting spacing for the caliper to slider.

1985-1992, front calipers are a single pair (two pistons) opposed. Two pistons per front caliper. I think the spacing is 82 mm o.c. for these calipers.

You need two sets for two calipers. If your pistons are pitted, replace them. If they aren't, a scotchbrite pad or a brass wire wheel should clean them up for re-use.

PISTON ASSY, CALIPER
3HE-W0057-50-00 $96.70 MSRP
$64.54 you pay

This is two pistons for one caliper. You have two calipers so you would need two sets to replace your four pistons. Again, your pistons can probably be re-used unless they're pitted.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2007/v-max-vmx12w1/front-brake-caliper

I think you must be getting the pistons and the seals for that price. Here's partszilla.com:
The price after the part # is MSRP, what you pay is on the line below that.

CALIPER SEAL KIT
3HE-W0047-50-00 $35.45 MSRP
$24.41 you pay

1993-2007 all the same, two pair opposed pistons, which is four total pistons per front caliper. 100 mm o.c. mounting spacing for the caliper to slider.

1985-1992, front calipers are a single pair (two pistons) opposed. Two pistons per front caliper. I think the spacing is 82 mm o.c. for these calipers.

You need two sets for two calipers. If your pistons are pitted, replace them. If they aren't, a scotchbrite pad or a brass wire wheel should clean them up for re-use.

PISTON ASSY, CALIPER
3HE-W0057-50-00 $96.70 MSRP
$64.54 you pay

This is two pistons for one caliper. You have two calipers so you would need two sets to replace your four pistons. Again, your pistons can probably be re-used unless they're pitted.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2007/v-max-vmx12w1/front-brake-caliper

Believe it or not that price from Yamaha was just for the seals ! I queried it and they gave me the part number that is the same on the link you sent.

Thanks for that that is much more affordable.

Probably the cheapest option to upgrade here in the UK would be some R1 Blue spots and an XJR 1300 m/c plus some stainless lines?

You could always put a Wanted post on V Max Chat

Early Gen 1 calipers are candidates for replacement anyway. Much more, and controllable stopping power, is possible for a reasonable amount. I'm still happy with the lite 4 piston Nissan calipers off of a CB-900F. They were about all that was available when I bought them. Adapters and options are plentiful today. HH pads up front work well under any conditions. Are the pistons good on the OEM calipers you have?

I know you need an adaptor to fit R1 calipers on to early maxs (up to 93?) But do they bolt straight to the later gen 1s ?

Early Gen 1 calipers are candidates for replacement anyway. Much more, and controllable stopping power, is possible for a reasonable amount. I'm still happy with the lite 4 piston Nissan calipers off of a CB-900F. They were about all that was available when I bought them. Adapters and options are plentiful today. HH pads up front work well under any conditions. Are the pistons good on the OEM calipers you have?

Pistons should be ok with a bit of a clean but a couple of them were seriously stuck in there !

I know you need an adaptor to fit R1 calipers on to early maxs (up to 93?) But do they bolt straight to the later gen 1s ?

Yes, one correction, the last date is 1992 models. The early not-radial R1 calipers are the ones that fit 100 mm o.c. mounting bolt spacing. Blue-dot or gold-dot. I think the R6 used the same calipers.

Latest posts

Back