Caliper rebuild

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
This is for purposes of information only, as a discussion of what can be done by the bike owner should he decide to fix a caliper. If this is beyond your skills, pay to have a professional mechanic perform your brake repair. Use new OEM parts, and a new can of brake fluid.

Do you have a sticky brake caliper? Dread trying to pay for fixing it? Did you start to attempt a repair, and get bogged-down? I may be able to help you in your repair.

In my experience, unless the bike has been submerged in water, you can fix the brake caliper(s) yourself,just by disassembly, cleaning, and careful reassembly, and it should only cost you some brake fluid, if you have the appropriate tools on-hand. Even if you don't, you can get what you need inexpensively, and your fix will pay for itself on the first caliper you overhaul.

'Cleanliness is next-to godliness,' it's said. That goes for working on brakes. Remove any corrosion you find. Clean things thoroughly, then clean them again, before reassembly. After all, what depends on your job of repair?

The customary way to remove the pistons from our opposed-piston systems is with an air hose, or removal of the caliper, while still hooked to the brake line, and pumping the lever or pedal until the pistons come-out of their bores.

Sometimes, because of corrosion, one piston may not move, while the other does. You need to hold the moving piston stationary, while in-effect transferring hydraulic pressure to the stuck piston. Usually a C-clamp will be used to hold the moving piston stationary, (caliper removed from the rotor) and a few pumps will force-out the other piston.

Sometimes the stuck piston still won't move. The use of an air hose will sometimes force-out the stuck piston, if you remove the bleeder and use a rubber-tipped air hose to pressurize the stuck side of the caliper. Be aware that if the piston comes-out completely, you're going to have corrosive brake fluid everywhere. Use a shop rag around the entire caliper to contain any fluid.

The lever or the brake pedal didn't work to free the stuck piston? The air hose didn't work to free the stuck piston? Waaahhhh!!!

Here's what I've used in that situation. Buy a metric grease fitting, M8 X 1.25 and remove the bleeder from the caliper side which has the stuck piston. Install the grease fitting into the brake bleeder hole. You don't need to tighten it down, just get it snug.

A tip: the bolt size that holds the caliper to the fork slider or to the carrying bracket in the rear is the same size as the caliper hose fitting. When you unscrew the banjo bolt for the brake hose, you can use the mounting bolt to block-off the threaded hole. You do-not tighten the screw in the hole! Just run it in until you feel it's at the bottom, and stop. This will be enough to use air pressure or my other method to pop loose the pistons.

Now use a grease gun to fill your caliper with-grease! Yes, grease. The grease gun develops much-more pressure than your brake lever or an air hose inside the caliper. The piston will come-out. Again, be aware that when it exits the caliper bore, you will have a mess, so thoroughly cover the entire caliper with a shop rag to contain everything.

If you're careful, you can get the piston to almost remove itself. This will save the big mess if you just squeeze the grease gun lever until the piston pops-free out of the caliper. When the piston is almost out, you can remove it the last bit manually, it's that-loose. Now you have to totally disassemble the caliper halves, they're bolted together. You're the owner of a manual impact tool, yes? If you're working on your motorcycle and you don't have one, get one, now! I prefer a 3/8" drive and a 20 or 24 ox ball pein hammer. Use the impact driver to loosen the two bolts holding the caliper together. See the flat rubber washers in the corners of the opened calipers? Set them aside.

If you used the grease gun to remove a stuck piston, remove the metric grease fitting you inserted into the caliper side with the stuck piston. All grease needs to be thoroughly removed with brake cleaner aerosol.

Use brake cleaner to clean up the grease. A roll of paper towels is good and I use a plastic bag to be my wastebasket for the dirty towels, and they are removed from the building anytime I stop, to prevent spontaneous combustion of petrochemicals from starting a fire. A combustible materials receptacle is a safety item to have, along with a couple 5 lb ABC dry chem extinguishers.

You should have the pistons out of their bores. You should have the caliper halves cleaned of the grease, don't forget the passageways going from one caliper half to the other, and the bleeder passages. Use a good aerosol brake cleaner w/its red plastic wand to clean these tiny passages.

Another tool you should have is a dental pick, to remove the o-rings in the calipers. Be careful using the pick, as you can probably re-use the rubber o-rings that are the seals to the pistons, if you exercise some care in their removal.

Now just look at that corrosion in the o-ring lands (the grooves) of the caliper halves! Now you have an idea of what your dentist sees.

You have a 120 V rotary tool like a Dremel, yes? And a couple of brass round flat brushes to use in it? A good size is about 1-1/2" for the disc brushes. If you don't have a Dremel, buy one! Or, visit Harbor Freight Tools (HFT) and get their generic one, they're cheap, and buy an assortment of brass brushes, they come packaged together, various shapes and sizes. The disc brushes are best for cleaning the o-ring lands (grooves).

Get busy on using the brass brush and the Dremel, or the HFT on the piston area of the caliper halves. It seems that due to water getting into the area of the bottom of the o-ring lands, it sits in there and causes corrosion more-than the top, where water probably won't sit.

Remember that dental pick? You can use that to scrape the inside edges of the o-ring lands to get out any stubborn deposits. When you're done use the aerosol brake cleaner to thoroughly clean all residue from both caliper halves. The paper towels are good for this too. Wipe and discard, grab a fresh towel.

The o-rings probably will have white deposits on them. Use a scotchbrite pad and your aerosol brake cleaner to scrub the o-rings. Get them clean of any deposits. If they clean-up well, you may be able to re-use them. If your o-rings are damaged, replace them. Any doubts about their condition, replace them.

Remember those flat o-rings in the corners of the caliper when you split it apart? If you did the grease-gun trick, they need to be cleaned as they will have grease on them. Grease and brake fluid should never mix! Use a clean paper towel and your aerosol brake cleaner.

OK, everything's clean. Time for reassembly. Install the o-rings into their respective grooves/lands. Take a bit of clean new brake fluid and run it around the inside surfaces of the caliper hole/o-rings where the piston will sit. This is needed lubrication for the pistons and o-rings. Insert the pistons, but don't push them all the way into the caliper half. Leave maybe a 1/4 inch of the piston above the edge of the caliper body. Before you reassemble the caliper halves: the pistons should move freely with finger pressure when you grip the insides of the piston, and move it in and out.

Got both caliper sides done? Now install the two corner of the caliper, o-rings into their recesses on one of the piston halves. The other caliper half does NOT have a recess for the o-ring.

Did you use your bench grinder wire wheel to clean the large machine screw threads holding the caliper halves together? Did you use some brake cleaner to clean the threads in the caliper half which is threaded for those bolts? Snug down the bolts, and torque them appropriately, refer to the factory shop manual for the torque values of that size fastener.

Clean the brake caliper bleeders on your bench grinder wire wheel. Use the aerosol brake cleaner to clean the passageways of the bleeder nipples, and you already cleaned the caliper halves where the bleeder nipples go, earlier, yes? Remember that if you had to use the grease gun method of piston removal, that you installed a metric grease fitting in-place of one of the bleeders, and that now needs to be removed, if you didn't already, once you split the caliper halves and cleaned everything.

Don't forget to clean the brake hose banjo bolt on a wire wheel and with brake solvent aerosol. It's time to re-install your caliper. I suggest filling each side of the caliper at the bleeder nipples (remove them to fill the caliper with fluid, then re-insert the bleeder nipples, and snug them until you are ready to bleed through them) with fresh brake fluid.

I suggest you do a reverse-bleed of the VMax brake system. You can search on the forum for a post under my screen name and 'reverse-bleed.' The same technique can be done with the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder.

If you were doing the rear brake, as I was, you should be done. If you're doing the front brakes, you've done one caliper, and you have another to do.

On rare occasions, a brake hose may collapse internally, and fluid will not flow back and forth. The collapsed hose acts like a one-way valve. It holds pressure on the caliper, and you will need to crack a bleeder to release the pressure to allow the wheel to rotate again. Replacement of the brake hose(s) is the only option. do not attempt to clean them internally to return them to service.

What are you waiting for? Get to work, and enjoy proper braking. This would be a good time to install new HH-rated pads if you're doing the front calipers. If you have oil from a leaking fork downtube oil seal contaminating the brake pads, fix the fork seal(s) before replacing the brake pad(s).

Attachments

• VM caliper.02.jpg
    VM caliper.02.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 68
  • VM caliper.03.jpg
    VM caliper.03.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 67
  • VM caliper.04.jpg
    VM caliper.04.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 60
  • VM caliper.05.jpg
    VM caliper.05.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 62
  • VM caliper.06.jpg
    VM caliper.06.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 62
  • VM caliper.07.jpg
    VM caliper.07.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 61
  • VM caliper.08.jpg
    VM caliper.08.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 62
  • VM caliper.09.jpg
    VM caliper.09.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 63
  • VM caliper.01.jpg
    VM caliper.01.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 69
More pics.

Attachments

• VM caliper.12.jpg
    VM caliper.12.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 40
  • VM caliper.13.jpg
    VM caliper.13.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 45
  • VM caliper.11.jpg
    VM caliper.11.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 43
  • M caliper.10.jpg
    M caliper.10.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 42
("Here's what I've used in that situation. Buy a metric grease fitting, M8 X 1.25 and remove the bleeder from the caliper side which has the stuck piston. Install the grease fitting into the brake bleeder hole. You don't need to tighten it down, just get it snug.")

That is an excellent method to use. I actually used that method to remove a stuck mini-ball from a 1863 Springfield (rifle commonly used by the north in the War of Northern Aggression against the Confederacy) I picked up at an auction. It was stuck in there for who knows how long and no other method would budge it. I welded a grease fitting to a nipple I cut down and drilled out and with an air operated grease gun pushed the thing out with ease. I then had a barrel full grease that I left in for about a week and then heated up the barrel to melt it out. Big mess but saved the barrel.

("Here's what I've used in that situation. Buy a metric grease fitting, M8 X 1.25 and remove the bleeder from the caliper side which has the stuck piston. Install the grease fitting into the brake bleeder hole. You don't need to tighten it down, just get it snug.")

That is an excellent method to use. I actually used that method to remove a stuck mini-ball from a 1863 Springfield (rifle commonly used by the north in the War of Northern Aggression against the Confederacy) I picked up at an auction. It was stuck in there for who knows how long and no other method would budge it. I welded a grease fitting to a nipple I cut down and drilled out and with an air operated grease gun pushed the thing out with ease. I then had a barrel full grease that I left in for about a week and then heated up the barrel to melt it out. Big mess but saved the barrel.

That's good use of hydraulic pressure.

I think the load of the projectile is called a minie-ball. I once read that before cartridges were invented, twists of gunpowder in paper were used to more rapidly-fire long guns. You ripped-off the end of the twisted paper wrap with your teeth to pour it into the muzzle, before throwing-in a piece of wadding and the minie-ball. Those of draft age who didn't want to be conscripted would have teeth yanked so they couldn't use them to tear-off the twist end of the measured gunpowder.

The cartridge made that method obsolete. Young adult males who were toothless either had terrible hygiene, or were dodging conscription, before the cartridge.

Nice write-up Philip! :clapping:

There are a couple different sizes of those small square o-rings which I usually have in stock, send me your old ones for match up .

They are $2.50/ea + $1.50 shipping

Dan-o, thank-you for the referral on those o-rings in-stock. I am always glad to be able to use another member's services whenever I can.

I enjoy being able to do things for myself, but I'm not fast-enough to do it for a living. I do like conquering the non-functioning assembly, and returning it to service.

If someone (a moderator) wants to insert the pics at appropriate points in the narrative, it probably would make it easier to use.

Thank you for this post,excellent warm-up set for the mod monkey. Im getting a chatter sound after releasing the rear brake. I can see the outer piston moving the pad at the rear caliper but can't see the inboard side.
I put a .02 feeler gauge in and it held,when I released the brake pressure the pad still held tight on the feeler gauge.
This rear caliper is the one part on this bike that has not been rebuilt or replaced. Probably an original to the bike 1985 piece. So now's the time.

When you want to go a step further.

Attachments

• IMG_20131016_110216_738.jpg
    IMG_20131016_110216_738.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20131016_113724_139.jpg
    IMG_20131016_113724_139.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20160414_153030564.jpg
    IMG_20160414_153030564.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20160414_154809025.jpg
    IMG_20160414_154809025.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20160414_161632884.jpg
    IMG_20160414_161632884.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20160428_171034041.jpg
    IMG_20160428_171034041.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20160428_173258631.jpg
    IMG_20160428_173258631.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20180624_110953.jpg
    IMG_20180624_110953.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20180624_115653.jpg
    IMG_20180624_115653.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20180624_122902.jpg
    IMG_20180624_122902.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 31
Sean, might as-well throw the SS braided lines in there, too.

When you install the Tokico three-opposed pair FZR calipers, do you keep a 5/8" stock master cylinder, or does it give better modulation going to something bigger-diameter?

I still prefer the stock master. This gives a longer lever throw for more "feel". Bigger difference between starting to stop and stopped too much.

Sean, thanks for the feedback.

Here's the tool I knew I had saved, I just needed to find it. For stuck pistons.
https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0591

md_08-0591_web.jpg

This is good. I just rebuilt my rear caliper after Thunder. Inside piston was ground down and most seals were toast. Did have a problem with the interior seal between the two halves of the caliper. That part number does not exist! Ended up going to a industrial rubber and gasket place down the street from my house and gave them the dimensions of what I needed and POOF! In and out in 5 minutes.

Sean, thanks for the feedback.

Here's the tool I knew I had saved, I just needed to find it. For stuck pistons.
https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0591

That is an interesting tool. Never saw one of those. I wonder if it would actually remove a STUCK piston. I have my doubts it would work any better than the fluid pressure created by the master cylinder.

I think FM's grease idea is the way to go if your piston is stuck. If that doesn't do the trick, I'm not sure what would.

That is an interesting tool. Never saw one of those. I wonder if it would actually remove a STUCK piston. I have my doubts it would work any better than the fluid pressure created by the master cylinder.

I think FM's grease idea is the way to go if your piston is stuck. If that doesn't do the trick, I'm not sure what would.

I bet if you tightened it up inside the piston and used a large crescent wrench on the rectangular end to turn the tool circumferentially, you could break-loose the deposits encrusted in the square grooves of the caliper to then allow the fluid pressure to push it out (caliper together) or just keep turning it in a circle, while using pressure to pull it out.

Latest posts

Back