How many miles are to many miles?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

69Z28RSSS

Reaction score
Hey everybody, New to the site. I don't own one yet , but I will in the spring. I have a friend with a 96 v max he is going to sell me next spring. He is the second owner of the bike . He is getting older and doesn't ride like he used to anymore. Says I can buy it next spring if I want to. Well yeah, I want to !!!! Anyways it has been well taken care of but I'm concerned about the millage . It has just under 60k. What should I be looking at for possible problems? Like I said, Bike runs great. He wants 2500.00 Including 3 new rear tires that he bought on sale . A Yamaha leather jacket and helmet . I have ridden the bike about a year ago and it was a BLAST !!!! Anyways ,what should I look at on this higher millage bike? Thanks Steve.

By the way, It's pretty much stock. Just a switch to kick the v boost in at 3k.

If the bike is in good shape he is giving you an excellent deal. 60,000 is fine if it was cared for.

60k wouldnt scare me away, there are folks rolling around here with quite a bit more. I dont see a lot of high mileage Vmaxes, but there are plenty of Ventures (same engine) with well over 100k. These engines are pretty stout, maintenance history should probably be more of a concern than actual mileage. Still the price sounds decent. Good luck.

Hey everybody, New to the site. I don't own one yet , but I will in the spring. I have a friend with a 96 v max he is going to sell me next spring. He is the second owner of the bike . He is getting older and doesn't ride like he used to anymore. Says I can buy it next spring if I want to. Well yeah, I want to !!!! Anyways it has been well taken care of but I'm concerned about the millage . It has just under 60k. What should I be looking at for possible problems? Like I said, Bike runs great. He wants 2500.00 Including 3 new rear tires that he bought on sale . A Yamaha leather jacket and helmet . I have ridden the bike about a year ago and it was a BLAST !!!! Anyways ,what should I look at on this higher millage bike? Thanks Steve.

It sounds like a solid bike and price is not at all bad. I found this forum a couple months before I purchased my Vmax and reading through the technical sections was a great way to get a feel for what to look for. Questions that you will have will get a friendly answer either pointing you to a informative answer or giving you a link to get an answer. Everything to do with the Gen 1 Vmax service, repair or replacement probably has been discussed but if there is further clarification it will there for the asking. Reading through all the stickies in the technical section would be a great start to furthering your knowledge.

Hey everybody, New to the site. I don't own one yet , but I will in the spring. I have a friend with a 96 v max he is going to sell me next spring. He is the second owner of the bike . He is getting older and doesn't ride like he used to anymore. Says I can buy it next spring if I want to. Well yeah, I want to !!!! Anyways it has been well taken care of but I'm concerned about the millage . It has just under 60k. What should I be looking at for possible problems? Like I said, Bike runs great. He wants 2500.00 Including 3 new rear tires that he bought on sale . A Yamaha leather jacket and helmet . I have ridden the bike about a year ago and it was a BLAST !!!! Anyways ,what should I look at on this higher millage bike? Thanks Steve.[/QU

You're getting a bike with a beast of an engine. Normally driven you'll possibly triple that mileage you have now, or more. My engine has bounced off the rev limiter at 9500 RPM more than anything would have a right to. The rest of the bike is normal maintenance. Read the threads and ride accordingly. Warm her up before pounding on her and you'll be fine.

Welcome to the forum.

I purchased my 91 from a local guy that posted it on CL for $2.3k, over 6 years ago.
It had 43K on it at the time.
Unfortunately the previous owner did not take care of it, and I did not know much about the bike, or what to look for.

I should have joined this forum beforehand. I might have saved me from over 5K hours of wrenching on it, to get it to run correctly. Not to mention all the $$ spent on fixing things.
It's running great now, and does not look like it did when purchased.
The wealth of knowledge from the guys on this forum is what got me there, and is priceless.

If you already know that the bike runs good, + all those extras, + you're getting info on this forum,, you're doing the right thing.
Hopefully, you've had the chance to ride it. If so, you know what power this bike has, and to treat that power with great respect.

Enjoy - Ride safe.

134,000 miles on mine. Never been into the motor farther than a clutch and 2 stators. It's a 1985.

Hey everybody, New to the site. I don't own one yet , but I will in the spring. I have a friend with a 96 v max he is going to sell me next spring. He is the second owner of the bike . He is getting older and doesn't ride like he used to anymore. Says I can buy it next spring if I want to. Well yeah, I want to !!!! Anyways it has been well taken care of but I'm concerned about the millage . It has just under 60k. What should I be looking at for possible problems? Like I said, Bike runs great. He wants 2500.00 Including 3 new rear tires that he bought on sale . A Yamaha leather jacket and helmet . I have ridden the bike about a year ago and it was a BLAST !!!! Anyways ,what should I look at on this higher millage bike? Thanks Steve.[/QU

You're getting a bike with a beast of an engine. Normally driven you'll possibly triple that mileage you have now, or more. My engine has bounced off the rev limiter at 9500 RPM more than anything would have a right to. The rest of the bike is normal maintenance. Read the threads and ride accordingly. Warm her up before pounding on her and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone here for the help. Soon as I get it pic's will be posted. I've wanted into this community since they came out. Till then I'll just keep stalking the forum ......

Latest posts

Back