videos

Go Back   Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum > First Generation VMax (1985 - 2007) Technical Forums > Wheels/Tires

Wheels/Tires Stock, 17 or 18 inch conversion, Fat Max .. post it here!

Re: 145/65-15
Old 07-13-2018, 10:23 AM

My VMax: 1997 black w flames
My other bikes: 87 goldwing 83 kaw chopper
Default Re: 145/65-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire-medic View Post
Hey, Beaumont, I said the car tires are cheaper than a purpose-built motorcycle tire. Most old bikers who rode 5:60 X 15" VW beetle tires were on hardtails, and they ran 'way-lower than stock tire pressures because they wanted to have some suspension in their ride, and low tire pressures would allow some 'give' in the carcass for bump relief. It would allow more flex in the face and the sidewalls of the tire to keep rubber on the road, though excessive flex can cause unwanted heat, and could lead to ply separation. A stock 1200 Harley-Davidson didn't put out much-more than 33 RWHP in the 1970's, so you didn't need to worry about excessive power overwhelming the tire.

The recommended wheel width for a 145/65 15" tire is a 5 inch wheel. Since a VMax is one and a half inches under that, you are seriously below what is considered a safe width, at a minimum. A narrower rim will pinch inwards the sidewalls, creating a distorted profile, and create stresses on the tire carcass it wasn't designed to handle.

Try searching for European VMax pictures, and see the $$$$ they lay-down for their rides. We all have budgets, some are bigger than others. There are many people on-here who chose to budget for a set of Sean Morley's Carrozzeria wheels at about $2,000/pair and who are very pleased with their purchases. The difference in handling between narrow stock bias-ply wheels and tires and the wider forged wheels or cast wheels, and radial rubber is considerable. Ya gotta pay to play, buddy.

The forum has many riders who choose to run Shinkos in bias-ply and stock sizes, and are perfectly-happy with their economical choices, they often report the stickiness is good, better than you get with a touring tire like a Metzeler Marathon ME880, which lasts longer, but is more-prone to break-loose if you twist the loud handle too-enthusiastically. If I was planning a 7,000 mile trip, I think I would opt for the Metzeler, to last me the entire time, instead of getting something soft that is more of a performance compound, which would be displaying wear down-to the bars, and a square profile by half that time.

The mechanic I go to, if there is something I don't want to undertake, has built supercharged VMaxes, turbocharged VMaxes, NOS VMaxes, and big-engined VMaxes, sometimes in combination. There is nothing cheap about those bikes. If a rider has a budget of $3,000 for everything, including the bike purchase, that limits the choices of what can be done, especially in engine work. My machinist charged more-than that for the last big-bore VMax he built the heads for, look at Morley's Muscle engine work spreadsheet to get an idea of what's possible, and what it will cost you. $peed costs money, how-fast do ya wanna-go?
nah what you said was "people are cheap "reff to me but lets just us both be happy we are not on a forum full of sissys who cant take it like say H--da Sc--ter forum after all we are on the same team and we can find a new subject to kick the hell out of i hope everyone enjoyed posts though and everyone aim for that squirrel next time instead of dodging it now thats good advice you can get behind wouldn't you say fire med p.s. i was counting on the profile being changed for the circum of the tire to be more like a motorcycle

Last edited by cwkerr007; 07-13-2018 at 04:46 PM..

Re: 145/65-15
Old 07-13-2018, 10:34 AM

My VMax: 1997 black w flames
My other bikes: 87 goldwing 83 kaw chopper
Default Re: 145/65-15

i'll try to get this stupid ^%%$#&^%$ phone to post a pic or two i'm sorry about the ref to the site that didn't work everybody