engine eliminates camshaft drive

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty-interesting: https://newatlas.com/camcon-digital-iva-valve-system/55827/

From the article:
British company Camcon Automotive has built the first fully electronic engine valve system, uncoupled from the crankshaft, that offers unprecedented control over the combustion cycle.

Variable valve timing is nothing new. It's been obvious to manufacturers for decades that the optimal valve operation is different when the engine's doing different things, and that changing the timing, lift and duration of the valve events on an engine to suit different scenarios can result in power, torque, efficiency and emissions advantages.

What makes Camcon's system different is that it allows complete, instant and unrestricted control over exactly what any intake or exhaust valve is doing, at any time, regardless of what the engine itself is doing. That's because Camcon's IVA (Intelligent Valve Actuation) system is fully electronic, making it the first valve system on the market that has no mechanical attachment to the crankshaft.

There are no timing belts or valve springs, with each valve getting its own miniature camshaft, complete with a desmodromic system that opens and closes the valves precisely and mechanically. And instead of being driven off the crank, each valve's camshaft is controlled by an electric motor.

These motors can rotate either way with total precision, and for a given valve event they can rotate through fully to give 100 percent of the available valve lift, or they can stop part-way through and return back to closed, so you can get literally any degree of valve lift you want, at any time. There's a video at the bottom of the page to give you a better visual explanation.

The system knows the position of the crankshaft at all times thanks to a rotary position sensor – in fact, the whole system runs under real-time, closed-loop control, so that valve events are timed perfectly against what the motor's doing.

Koenigsegg has had this tech as well, as it may not be exactly what’s in your posted article. Other auto manufacturers are dabbing in as well. I’m pretty sure the engine that koenigseg has this tech in makes a pretty large hp number. I remember reading of it a couple years back. Less moving parts, block isn’t as tall, doesn’t weigh as much.

I never remember any talk of the engines being interference or non interference engines. I mean, electrical components do fail....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koenigsegg uses a system like in Formula 1, pneumatic actuation. This is solid-state actuation via electrical motors, which I would believe to be more-precise than pneumatics. It's been 2-1/2 years since they announced the tech, but I don't believe they have released any production engines yet. Renault and others used pneumatic valve actuation in the 1980's in F1 cars, so the technology has been around long-enough to have undergone thorough development, but we don't have air-operated valves yet, anywhere useful or available to consumers in autos or trucks, of-which I am aware.

What's interesting to me is that you have a lot of versatility in your engine, the software can be set to increase valve lift for performance or reduced for torque, same for RPM. Just build a modular engine, depending on how-much output you need, add or subtract cylinders as the application arises, resulting in great economy of scale. Imagine V-2, V-4, V-6, V-8, V-10, V-12, or V-16 where each piston = a displacement of say, 500 cc. So, that's 1000 cc, 2000 cc, 3000 cc, 4000 cc, 5000 cc, or 7000 cc. Oversquare bores allow higher RPM. Bore=stroke gives more torque, less RPM needed.

The 'roaming' cylinder deactivation sounds plausible as-to its advantages. Plus, different software = performance by a program tailored to the necessary use.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...wild-freevalve-engine-runs-without-camshafts/

Here's my favorite mechanical guy Cycle World's Kevin Cameron explaining things having to do with pneumatic valve actuation:
https://www.cycleworld.com/2013/12/28/valve-control-101-pneumatics-part-3-of-3-by-kevin-cameron

Be sure to read parts I and II at the bottom of the article for the links.

Koenigsegg has had this tech as well, as it may not be exactly what’s in your posted article. Other auto manufacturers are dabbing in as well. I’m pretty sure the engine that koenigseg has this tech in makes a pretty large hp number. I remember reading of it a couple years back. Less moving parts, block isn’t as tall, doesn’t weigh as much.

I never remember any talk of the engines being interference or non interference engines. I mean, electrical components do fail....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd almost believe they would be interference, that little motor gives out at full lift, it'll be a bad day for that piston. Buddy of mine had an eagle talon and lost his timing belt sitting at a stop sign, completely snapped off an exhaust valve, and found it stem down in the top of the piston. Had to pull it out with pliers. He got lucky, didn't go all the way threw, so a couple new valves, head gasket, and timing belt he was on his way. Unless it's designed to go back closed if a problem were to arise so it doesn't smack the piston, with the tech today it wouldn't suprise me. Be cool to have, make a stock engine cam like a built v8 with a big lift cam lol

I'd almost believe they would be interference, that little motor gives out at full lift, it'll be a bad day for that piston. Buddy of mine had an eagle talon and lost his timing belt sitting at a stop sign, completely snapped off an exhaust valve, and found it stem down in the top of the piston. Had to pull it out with pliers. He got lucky, didn't go all the way threw, so a couple new valves, head gasket, and timing belt he was on his way. Unless it's designed to go back closed if a problem were to arise so it doesn't smack the piston, with the tech today it wouldn't suprise me. Be cool to have, make a stock engine cam like a built v8 with a big lift cam lol

+1 for the get smaller on the lift, and duration, safe guard if power is lost or in the event of electronic failure.

and found it stem down in the top of the piston. Had to pull it out with pliers. He got lucky, didn't go all the way threw, so a couple new valves, head gasket, and timing belt he was on his way.

So you are saying that he continues to use the motor with a piston that has had a valve embedded in it?

You should start a sweep-stake as to how long before the inevitable big bang.

But moving on, it is developments like that which Mr Fire Medic mentions which suggest that the internal combustion motor still has lots of potential for development.
Another one to consider is using lasers to ignite the fuel such as this or this.

It would seem that rather than encouraging these sorts of innovations our governments are intent on forcing us into electric vehicles.
Be interesting to see how you will be able to charge your vehicle when you live in high rise accommodation...or will personal transport only be for those who have ready access to charging points?

I think it's fantastic. Anything to do away with timing belts and offer the brain more control. A brain which I assume can be updated or flashed if one wishes. Imagine the possibilities of a full virtual camshaft on V8s with variable runners. I'm guessing the first prototype engines are non-interference like the old Ford 2.0 and 2.3.

These are the sorts of advances we need if we want to cling to our IC engines into the future I'm a fan of electric too but there sure aren't to many elec only cars out there anyone would really want to drive, other than a Model S.

One way Ford could make the 11-current V6 Stangs churn out over 300hp and still worth 30+ mpg hwy (first production car in Hx to achieve this btw) is with individually variable int and exh cams. individually actuated valves with both lift and duration infinitely variable within the mechanical limits of the engine itself. I'm excited, this is good!:clapping:

Back