Carb I.D.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought a set of carbs which are advertised as being for a VMax. However, I haven't seen any carbs like this before. They look nearly-identical to other VMax carbs I've disassembled, but there are a couple of things different on them.

There is an extra hose on one carb, and one carb on each pair has an extra screw in the body.

The air cleaner inlet side measures 48 mm I.D., same as a VMax.

The smaller side to the VBoost manifold is 35 mm I.D., same as a VMax.

Main jet is 152.5, same as a VMax.

The big air jet under the CV cap is a 170, same as a later VMax. I see a 1985 lists it as being a 150.

The air jet in the 48 mm side carb inlet is a 90, same as a VMax.

The carb CV caps are smooth, like a VMax and unlike a Ventures, which have ribs vertically.

In the pic you can see the extra hose spigot, one for all-four carbs, not one extra hose per carb.

You can also see the extra screw very-close to the extra hose spigot. Again, there is one extra screw per two carbs.

The air bleed screw beneath the CV cap and not covered by it still has the anti-tamper caps in-place.

The last pic shows the extra hose, and the shiny hose spigot is what it attaches to, underneath the bracket brace for the float bowl overflow tubes, which go through the bracket.

So, are these VMax, very-early maybe 1985? In the last week, I've disassembled three sets of carbs. This is the only set I've seen like this. I'm expecting dannymax or Sean, Kyle, or someone else who works on these frequently will know the answer.

I've used boats.net for parts in the past but they seem to have removed motorcycle fiches from their site. Partzilla.com has prices a bit cheaper than the last place I ordered from. I'll be ordering a few gaskets like the jet block gasket, and the main nozzle gasket/o-ring, the small o-ring under the CV cap, and maybe a float bowl gasket, in-case I rip one sometime.

I'm also on the hook for that T-tube gas line, as mine was rotted when the carbs were being disassembled.

Attachments

• VMax odd carb.01.jpg
    VMax odd carb.01.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 23
  • VMax odd carb.02.jpg
    VMax odd carb.02.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 24
  • VMax odd carb.03.jpg
    VMax odd carb.03.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 24
  • VMax odd carb.04.jpg
    VMax odd carb.04.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 26
+1 They will work fine on any VMax. If you aren't using them on a CA model with the carbon canister remove the hose coming from the #2 carb and cap the brass tube with a sync spigot cap. Also remove the wire hose holder from the cover screw on the #1 carb.

Thanks, guys, you are the best!

I didn't think to check the CA fiche, now I know.

Latest posts

Back