• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

85 for sale

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eugene Brad

Reaction score
Just posted on CL. Let me know what you guys think of the ad, aside from the price being too high. I know that many of you won't touch a second gear issue for over $7-800 or even less. Not many of these bikes in my area, (or at least on CL) and it's just a starting point. But i would like to know if I am disclosing too much, too little, maybe word things differently. If any members are interested throw me an offer, i won't be offended. Also I do have the intake covers, they are on my bench getting cleaned up.
Rode it today for the first time in awhile, she still rips, little cold so didn't stay out long.
d1666b14629bc7acf692ec09b45e1615.jpg

https://eugene.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1985-yamaha-max-1600-obo/6467080034.html

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Well.... I traded the 85 for a Husqvarna...lawn mower. Little bit of sellers remorse but I needed a good riding mower and this fellers brother wanted the v max. Mower is worth $1500 all day, $2400 new. So I recouped more this way than I could have outright selling.
In the long run this will get me more ride time as it should cut down the mowing substatially. Dude was a vmaxer in the past and I could tell it was going to a good home, so good deals for all.
b57d9f172259103b0131a103f4488b8c.jpg
dd90ed9814744c75c9b2fdd491f0f641.jpg

I looked at one of these mowers early last summer for $1100 but didn't end up buying it. It mowed nice but I read online(so take this with a grain of salt, as "they" say) that the transmission can have issues but cannot remember the specifics of the issues. Looks like a good deal for you although those stickers on the hood may have cut down the resale price some, lol!:biglaugh:
Well.... I traded the 85 for a Husqvarna...lawn mower. Little bit of sellers remorse but I needed a good riding mower and this fellers brother wanted the v max. Mower is worth $1500 all day, $2400 new. So I recouped more this way than I could have outright selling.
In the long run this will get me more ride time as it should cut down the mowing substatially. Dude was a vmaxer in the past and I could tell it was going to a good home, so good deals for all.
b57d9f172259103b0131a103f4488b8c.jpg
dd90ed9814744c75c9b2fdd491f0f641.jpg

I looked at one of these mowers early last summer for $1100 but didn't end up buying it. It mowed nice but I read online(so take this with a grain of salt, as "they" say) that the transmission can have issues but cannot remember the specifics of the issues. Looks like a good deal for you although those stickers on the hood may have cut down the resale price some, lol!:biglaugh:
Go figure, one bad transmission for another.

Some manufacturers have had issues w/their hydrostatic transmissions, dunno what yours has.

I don't have acreage so a sit-down rear-engine Snapper is what I use. It's the one which has a large tubular frame member like an upside-down "J." They've made one like that for some time, in one iteration or another.

Looks like that should be a good candidate for a long life. I always thought that Huskies were supposed to be durable machines, whether it was a sewing machine, a motorcycle for enduros, or a lawn tractor. A bit of heat should allow you to remove that decal if it's an adhesive decal, and not a water-transfer.

Some manufacturers have had issues w/their hydrostatic transmissions, dunno what yours has.

I don't have acreage so a sit-down rear-engine Snapper is what I use. It's the one which has a large tubular frame member like an upside-down "J." They've made one like that for some time, in one iteration or another.

Looks like that should be a good candidate for a long life. I always thought that Huskies were supposed to be durable machines, whether it was a sewing machine, a motorcycle for enduros, or a lawn tractor. A bit of heat should allow you to remove that decal if it's an adhesive decal, and not a water-transfer.
Decal stay. Go duck! It is what finalized my decision

Hopefully it doesnt have the Tuff Torq K46 hydrostatic transaxle used in so many mowers. This is a low grade part that is on some models with a mid grade price tag.

It seems to be a very common weak point for folks that are doing more that cutting grass on flat ground. Personally, I would buy a cheap, non-hydrostatic unit before buying a more expensive unit with this transaxle.

Tuff Torq sells parts direct to the public. Repair is fairly easy but quite expensive. I would do some research about upgrading to K57 specs if you end up tearing into one. Its a simple upgrade. But, not much better IMO. I've dealt with this a couple times.

Tuff Torq has some other units that are actually pretty decent. I'd just stay away from the k46/57.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have a mower like that I've used for several years now. I think it's the 2448 model, I've got CRS disease (can't remember shit) so that's what I recall. It has the forward and reverse on the right side toe heel type pedals. No problems with transmission so far and it's taken a beating. Only thing I've done is rewire and replace the headlight sockets as they tend to short out and catch fire, or so I have heard. Flying eyeball hood ornaments look good on them.

Hopefully it doesnt have the Tuff Torq K46 hydrostatic transaxle used in so many mowers. This is a low grade part that is on some models with a mid grade price tag.

It seems to be a very common weak point for folks that are doing more that cutting grass on flat ground. Personally, I would buy a cheap, non-hydrostatic unit before buying a more expensive unit with this transaxle.

Tuff Torq sells parts direct to the public. Repair is fairly easy but quite expensive. I would do some research about upgrading to K57 specs if you end up tearing into one. Its a simple upgrade. But, not much better IMO. I've dealt with this a couple times.

Tuff Torq has some other units that are actually pretty decent. I'd just stay away from the k46/57.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
It does have the k46. Isn't the issue air getting into the system and losing pressure/power? And arn't there simple ways to purge air to gain back power? That was something I recall seeing about these mowers. Hopefully it doesnt give me issues. And if it does I will deffinately look into the upgrade. So far so good though. Mowed front lot of my house in no time flat. I have to modify my gate opening to get to my back lot, mower deck is freaking wide.

Back