Why add a regulator

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Metamucil works good to keep one regular.
Unless you're talking about a voltage regulator. The 1985s had a very inferior unit, which many of us have upgraded. There is a ton of info here about the upgrade. It's simple, and relatively inexpensive to do. I'd recommend the SH775 Series unit over the MOSFET type, but either is a worthwhile upgrade to the early bikes.

Gotta be... The only other thing regulated on a VMax is the insanity factor, and most of us don't do a very good job at regulating that, LOL!

Metamucil works good to keep one regular.
Unless you're talking about a voltage regulator. The 1985s had a very inferior unit, which many of us have upgraded. There is a ton of info here about the upgrade. It's simple, and relatively inexpensive to do. I'd recommend the SH775 Series unit over the MOSFET type, but either is a worthwhile upgrade to the early bikes.
I have an 86 and I had issues with the regulator and starting the bike is this the same issue you mentioned? asking as I'm getting my bike running again and want to ensure I do it right

Can you be more specific regarding the problems you have?

My issue was always the bike starting and charging the battery, especially when the bike had already been driven, the shop in Charleston SC where I bought the bike replaced the Stator/Rectifier I believe but that was back in 88/89 so my memory is a bit hazy unless I can pull the receipt out of the files (yes I have all records of purchase and work done, I'm a bit OCD that way)

It would be helpful if you established if the charging and starting issues are connected or not.
After the bike has been standing for several hours what battery voltage to you read?
You would expect to see 12.5 volts or a little over.

You should also clean all of the earth points and also put an earth lead from the r/r mounting fastener to the main earth point on the frame.
Also work through this to check out the charging system.

Latest posts

Back