450-Mile Ride Today + Possible Fuel Pump Issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thinking out loud here...
I wonder if you could get a boroscope to veiw the pickup in the tank bottom. If its got some crap in there blocking patancy of the line you might be able to get creative with a shopvac and a length of hose while backblowing through the pickup with compressed air. Never tried it but I sure would depending on what I saw resting on the bottom of the tank. At any rate I hope the solution is cheap and lasting. Glad you got some bbq and ride time in.

I drained the tank and nearly no rust or dirt came out.

And the Mr. Gasket fuel pump... I remember there was an issue with no return or something? Maybe someone can chime in and verify.

A quick question: Do any of you audibly hear your fuel pump clicking at idle?
Not only do I hear it click at idle, (I counted it,, about once every 2 seconds, really slow compared to bowls pressurizing at key start), but, because I have a clear glass filter,, I could see the pulse of the fuel going in.. As I rev it up, the pulse gets faster.
Filter.jpg

FUEL PUMP

I installed a BRAND NEW $200 OEM fuel pump today. Turned the bike on... no clicking. Not one. Turned the bike off and on again, and only 2 clicks. Started right up and ran well. I didn't hear any clicking at all.

My old pump (original) would click practically non-stop with key on and while idling. I could even hear it clicking over the idle even with my very loud exhaust.

So I am confident my fuel pump was failing. Glad to have faith in my bike now for longer trips!

Latest posts

Back