First timer 1/4 mile

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmaxnewfie

Reaction score
Finally had a chance to make a few passes for the first time on my '98 Max.
First pass: 12.48 @ 107mph
2nd pass: 12.56 @ 101mph (missed shift into 4th)
3rd pass: 12.38 @ 107mph
Bike is stock except PCW clutch spring.

Launch wasn't that great and I didn't rev past 9000rpm...the track is 120 mile ride each way (don't want to break anything). I know there's more in it if I work on my launch and tuck a little more. I'm going back in September, hopefully better launch then.:punk:

3800-4200 launch and figure out how it likes the clutch let out. Feed the throttle as your letting it out and be full on the throttle when the clutch is out. 9500 is a good rpm and you will never hurt anything.

Strap the front and you can lower your 60 ft. How much do you weigh?

Todd

Agreed. Got to have a starting point and always something to get improvement from there! Weight, location, weather and all other sorts of things affect the performance. Not all bad from what I can see. The MPH is one of the biggest factors that we can tell potential from and you're not terribly off from that.

Sean

I weigh 180lbs without gear. There was a 5mph head wind. Track is about sea level. It is actually an old airstrip, and the track crew won't let motorcycles with street tires do burnouts. They say it tears up the track:confused2:

With cold tires, am I better off to run in the grove or to the side on bare pavement? I was running bare pavement today, and the 180 rear tires was hooking up fine for what I was doing.

I am now hooked and can't wait to do it again!!!:punk:

Next time post your 60ft times. I think these are great times for "first runs".
next time rent a trailer so you can try lower rear tire pressures. If you don't already have one, get a shift light so you don't kill your self looking at that so called tach.

Shaft drive bikes like a bit different launch them chain bikes, so work on that launch.

I used to work on one thing at a time when I was setting up a new bike. I go out and try a bunch of different things on the launch, worrying only about my 60 ft times. Then my shift points, worrying mostly about my 1/8 mile times.

With all that said, I won't take my max to the strip because I would be doing good to get into the 14s. I'm so fat now a days that I doubt I could get my foot to the peg fast enough to get 2nd gear. Good luck!

60 foot times:
1st - 1.979, 2nd - 1.841, 3rd - 1.931

1/8 mile times:
1st - 7.945, 2nd - 7.786, 3rd - 7.884

Looks like I would have had a good pass if I didn't miss 4th gear on that second one.

Shift light will be on my wish list this Christmas. Hard to tuck and still see the tiny tack!

Yep, probably would have been in the teens on that 2nd pass. Got to get that 60' down and the rest will fall into place. I see the potential for a higher 11 pass but don't expect to see much better then that with your current MPH. Most guys will struggle to get into the 1.70's 60' time so you have room to improve but far from the worst I have seen (far far from the worst).

Last week I was getting mid 1.60's 60' time. Stock engine, no strap, 3" extended swingarm, header and jet kit (plus light wheels).

While you are working on launches, here is something you might want to try...

Pre stage, bring the RPMs up to 4000, ease out the clutch until you have to hold the bike from rolling and and roll in (still at 4000- but you have to "hear" that 4000 as you are watching the lights) When the last yellow goes out, let out the clutch and pin the throttle. Try it a few times to get the feel of it and see how you fair. My guess right now is that your slipping the clutch too much on launch

My guess right now is that your slipping the clutch too much on launch

I`m sure you`re right on that. Thanks for the tips:eusa_dance: With the PCW clutch, it should hook up quite well. Like Sean said, I`ll work on getting those 60`times down. Next time I won`t have the first timer gitters either.

Ran the bike again today. Launched a little harder today, rather than fanning the clutch.

First pass: 12.16 @ 111.9mph
2nd pass: 12.18 @ 112.2mph
3rd pass: 12.35 @ 111.0mph (spun the tire)
4th pass: 12.14 @ 112.2mph

Had a blast!

Nice consistency! You're times aren't that far off the potential based on the MPH you're getting. Might make the high elevens but don't expect a lot more then that.

Ran the bike again today. Launched a little harder today, rather than fanning the clutch.

First pass: 12.16 @ 111.9mph
2nd pass: 12.18 @ 112.2mph
3rd pass: 12.35 @ 111.0mph (spun the tire)
4th pass: 12.14 @ 112.2mph

Had a blast!

That is a great improvement! I see an 11 in your future! Its impressive how close the times are. Keep up the great work!

Next time post your 60ft times. I think these are great times for "first runs".
next time rent a trailer so you can try lower rear tire pressures. If you don't already have one, get a shift light so you don't kill your self looking at that so called tach.

Shaft drive bikes like a bit different launch them chain bikes, so work on that launch.

I used to work on one thing at a time when I was setting up a new bike. I go out and try a bunch of different things on the launch, worrying only about my 60 ft times. Then my shift points, worrying mostly about my 1/8 mile times.

With all that said, I won't take my max to the strip because I would be doing good to get into the 14s. I'm so fat now a days that I doubt I could get my foot to the peg fast enough to get 2nd gear. Good luck!

What pressure do you guys air down to?

I run my tires at standard pressure of 40psi front and back, I go around the water box and no burnout, I'm getting 12.0s @ 113 with a stock Max................................Tom.

Correct. Maybe a little lower but not normally needed with a decent tire. mid 1.60's 60' time shows it's hooking up.

I ran 5 passes this weekend at the Bike Bash. My 90 is stock except UFO 4-1 exhaust. I haven't touched carbs( stock jetting), Sean cleaned them about 4 years ago. Wishing I had sync'd them and seen but didn't have much room to haul stuff besides myself to track. Not too bad for me, 1st time on track with my max, it has about 60,000 on it also. My Venom tires hook up great without doing burn out. My issue is trying to keep front end down and launching correct. I missed 4th on one shift but found it was faster not to shift anyhow I was just at redline going across line.

Attachments

• BIke Pass 3 with burn out.jpg
    BIke Pass 3 with burn out.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Bike Pass.jpg
    Bike Pass.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Bike pass2.jpg
    Bike pass2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 44
  • First Run.jpg
    First Run.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 49
eggohead you do have good numbers but if you want to know how good your numbers are you need to weigh yourself in riding gear and add that to the weight of the bike or fill your tank to the leavel you need to race and go to a feed mill and have them weigh you in gear on your bike thats how i did it. Than you can take that number and calculate your hp and weight to see what you should be running and than try to get as closes to that number as you can. I think its nice to have a goal when im at the track.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php

Well since hanging up my soldier boots my belly has grown and I weigh about 240. Add gear and clothes, don't feel the need to ride naked, around 255. Stoke bike is about 650, minus about 25 lbs of old exhaust( new is UFO 4-1 drag) my numbers hit about 112hp. Looks like jet kit will be waiting until after Xmas now, might just check sync out and be happy this year. Still unsure of my solid engine mouts due to highway viberations being too much for my hand anymore. Short track and rides to work are ok. My buddy Donavan has me really thinking about extending my swing arm 3" and getting a wider radial , which also means new wheels not stock. Might be hooked on bracket racing.

Back