• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Looking for a stock 1990 vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That $1600 sounds suspicious. We all know how to blow that kind of money, and a carb sync and brake job won't do it. Even if the guy paid full dealer price for all new parts plus hours of shop labor, it's still high. You could get a newly rebuilt set of carbs from Danny or Sean for WAY less than that (like no comma in the price), and they'd be known to work properly.

Good luck with all this, and I hope you get what you really want.

I know you want a 1990 but Kyle's recent bike he bought for re-conditioning will be one cheaper than this guy is asking & you know the bike will be ready for service.

Guessing this is it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Yamaha...50344781:g:iYkAAOSwB09YPy-6&item=332058085249

This outstanding 1990 Yamaha V Max 1200 has just been professionally serviced, tuned and detailed (including new battery, full carburation system rebuild, clutch and brake system overhauls; more than $1,600 in receipts) after having recently emerged from being in storage for the past fifteen years.

The motorcycle is truly an amazing "time capsule" example of raw street power and muscle.

The bike is completely stock and in original factory configuration and tune, with factory touring package. It needs nothing and is in amazing mechanical and cosmetic condition

s-l1600.jpg

That's probably the cleanest (stock) 1990 left in the country. Other then a few leaks or seals I would not expect anything to be mechanically wrong with it.

Yes, if that's the bike, a very clean example. The front pipes are quick to get pitting if the bike is used, and not detailed after every ride.

Wow, that looks much better than I expected. Looks very nice, especially for the age. A little light buffing on the scoops to bring out the original luster, a bit of shine on the wheels, and it's a looker!

$3300 is the KBB for a 1990 in excellent shape, so the price isn't too bad if it's in good shape.

Me recommendations if you want a 1990 but also are interested in a better/safer bike:
1. Replace the front brakes with 2, 4 or 6 piston calipers. A 1990 is using early 1980's braking technology, which wasn't very good for this level of power even when new. You can talk to Sean Morley about options for your year.
2. When you need to replace the tires, look for a design that is fairly recent. Metzler , Shinko and Avon (others as well) make tires vastly improved over the Dunlops that 1990 has. Remember, with motorcycles grip is EVERYTHING!

If that deal doesn't work out for you, keep in mind that getting a post 1996 gets most of the upgrades of the later years (better brakes, better suspension, screw-on oil filter) and likely won't cost any more if you are patient. If the 1990 color is your thing, you can either repaint to match the 1990 color or scour eBay for the bodywork. Or go lightweight with Exactrep's carbon fiber body parts and then paint them the color you want! :punk:

In any event, good luck. Remember that patience in searching can pay off.

I have a '89 for sale (11/88 production date), 24K miles, dark blue bodywork, all stock except turn signals and K&N filter, engine crash bars, new Briidgestones front & rear, new throttle cables, all 4 new air / fuel adjustment screw kits, carbs synched last night (w/ my new CarbTune Pro 4 - great tool!). If interested, PM me, and I'll get you more details. Located south Texas.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 12
Back