• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

This guy sure is proud of his '85

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneksoldier

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is not my ad and I don't know this guy. I really want to respond to it just to let him know how ridiculous his asking price is. Probably wouldn't do any good, though. I've ran into plenty just like him in other markets. According to the ad, he seems to think NADA quotes the value of the bike at over 10k. Maybe confused with the original MSRP. Check it out.

https://stillwater.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1985-yamaha-max/6293048748.html

Best way to keep something your wife or girlfriend wants to sell is to put an unreasonably high price on it. When she whines about the bike still being in the garage, you can say "I'm trying to sell it, dear.. No takers yet.". Then keep riding it, hopefully she'll give up on the idea.

Maybe there's a method to the guys madness.

To him it's worth that but I got $6K out of my '99 with 7900 miles and ALL of the work I put into it. He might get $5-$6K but not what he's asking.

Best way to keep something your wife or girlfriend wants to sell is to put an unreasonably high price on it. When she whines about the bike still being in the garage, you can say "I'm trying to sell it, dear.. No takers yet.". Then keep riding it, hopefully she'll give up on the idea.

Maybe there's a method to the guys madness.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I'm sure his inbox is full of informative messages RE fair market value. If he really wanted to sell it he would have to cut that asking price in half-ish. Instead of just setting her straight right away when she started making demands he's jumping through hoops and burning all these calories to appease her. It's a dangerous precedent for a grown man to set, to allow himself to be cajoled into doing stuff like this. Another good back story is he's getting ready to divorce, she has no idea, he's trying to clean house and reallocate assets before she finds out whats happening. The less you have the less you loose!

Of course I have no idea who it is either but these will be my made-up back stories. :clapping:

I looked it up too. I was very surprised to see that NADA actually valued the bike higher than what he said. All in the eye of the buyer, I guess. I wonder how they extrapolate that value? Surely it isn't from actual sales.

Probably cause its the first year......that is the only thing that I can think of. Actually Dannymax had let me know how much higher the 85's NADA are vs the other years.

Most people I know of wouldnt pay that much more for an 85, considering how many other years there are, and they are virtually all the same.

Probably cause its the first year......that is the only thing that I can think of. Actually Dannymax had let me know how much higher the 85's NADA are vs the other years.

Most people I know of wouldnt pay that much more for an 85, considering how many other years there are, and they are virtually all the same.

It's the first year and they are quickly approaching the 35 yr old mark....when they will be officially recognized as an 'antique motorcycle' as defined by the AMCA.

The $11,945 NADA value is for a 'concourse quality' bike, they're pretty rare but an all original & complete '85 in excellent condition could easily sell for $8K - $9K in a couple years.

Hahaha....well, I can't reveal that but I do know he used to own a really classy Corvette yellow & chrome '86 with a PCW motor....ring any bells? :confused2:

I dont know, be he sounds like a Helluva good guy. :biglaugh:

I like his collection, Norton 750/850, Moto Guzzi 750 I think, 500 Titan Twin Suzuki & the 'Max. The Guzzi may be smaller, they also imported a 500 twin. The rocker box looks small, so I think it might be the V50 500 transverse Guzzi twin. I had a chance to buy one, but the paperwork wasn't on-hand, I would never buy something w/o paperwork. Oddball Italian twins, like the Moto Morini 3-1/2, a 350 cc inline v twin with Heron cylinder heads/pistons, cutting-edge engine design in the 1970's. Used by Jaguar on their V-12's. Remember that the first modern Ducati v twins were two single cylinder cylinders/heads on a single crankcase. I worked with a guy who had a Moto Morini 3-1/2, and he sold it to another guy, a friend of mine, who is a long-term collector/rider with a lot of British bikes and a BMW Airhead twin as his daily ride.

Ducati tried the same parts-bin multi-cylinder tech in the 1950's, but it didn't do well in development. They had a V8, in development, because Moto Guzzi had a successful V8 for grand prix use. http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/05/03/otto-cilindri-moto-guzzi-v8-grand-prix-racer/

Last edited:
He can ask whatever he wants. Usually reality sets in and he will have to lower his price, but every now and then someone will bite.

Latest posts

Back