Birdoprey's COP (Coils Over Plugs) Mod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the responses tonight i will go outside and jiggle them around to spot any arcing if there is any. If that is not the problem could it be anything else? I just recently moved to a much higher elevation and have no had the carbs tuned (crackling and backfiring before which is why i bought the COP's because i was lead to believe it was a bad coil issue)
thanks!

Sure enough, the coils are arcing to the block, damn. Got the stock coils still so im going to put those back on until i get the denso ones. i think i might go with dyna 3000, and high performance wires and coils, any ideas as to what ones? Worth it? or should i do dyna with denso cop's?
Thanks guys

So the bike gave me serious problems this morning, had to return home and miss work to replace the COP's with stock coils and wires. Runs so much better now, i should have gone with my gut the first time i started her up with the COP's and new something wasnt right. Oh well, you live and learn haha

I just did the COPs, everything went smooth and the bike runs, but.... I have no tach now. Any suggestions? 1997 Max, I used early 2000's r6 coils (mitsubishi). Thanks:bang head:

Sure enough, the coils are arcing to the block, damn. Got the stock coils still so im going to put those back on until i get the denso ones. i think i might go with dyna 3000, and high performance wires and coils, any ideas as to what ones? Worth it? or should i do dyna with denso cop's?
Thanks guys

I don't know about the COP's, but there is an improvement with the Dyna 3000 and their DC3-2 mini coils. great seat of the pants, noticeably, and people are seeing +5hp on the dyno with them. As you already know, the COP's are great for replacements and easy on the wallet. With the DC3-2's it's basically the pain in the ass to install the front two, like the stockers are.

I don't know about the COP's, but there is an improvement with the Dyna 3000 and their DC3-2 mini coils. great seat of the pants, noticeably, and people are seeing +5hp on the dyno with them. As you already know, the COP's are great for replacements and easy on the wallet. With the DC3-2's it's basically the pain in the ass to install the front two, like the stockers are.

Had not heard of these coils....very slick! Are you running them KJ? With a DYNA box?

I don't think anyone is seeing performance gains with cop's, I didn't. As you said, easy on the wallet and realitively easy to install.

Had not heard of these coils....very slick! Are you running them KJ? With a DYNA box?

I don't think anyone is seeing performance gains with cop's, I didn't. As you said, easy on the wallet and realitively easy to install.

No I'm not running them....Yet.
They were going to be next on the bikesponsor list, but we parted ways. I'm going to order a set this fall when I order the winter's mods parts. There is a couple of members that are running the 3000 with the coils. When I talked with the dyna guy, he was telling me about the performance increase. I thought he was just blowing smoke up my ass, but nope. I've had a few people tell me they do help in the performance department. power, economy, starting and their bike runs smoother.

I've got SRAD coils which I believe are 1.8 ohm ish? I'd better check them, ha ha... The newest version COPs are less than 1 ohm I know...

Are 1.5ohm resistors the better option? Are the ceramic wirewound type ok to use?

Cheers :)

So ive read down through this and i'm still curious where
we're at as far as resistors on stock cdi with densos or no?

Gannon makes a good set of COP's, he sells them through Sean Morley, I believe, and you have the satisfaction of knowing your CDI box won't be damaged by the wrong load on the box. You can rattle the dice and try a home-brew, it's like any shade-tree mechanics, it may-work for the short-term, but be expensive over-time. The guys who have run two-strokes know, "it ran great, just-before it seized!"

[email protected]

I have an 86 that I did this on. I started with a higher resistance than stock and backed down until the bike would run. I can't remember exactly, but I think I also ended up using individual resistors for each coil rather than a single resistor. I have an older dyna ignition box, not the stock unit. I also custom made the harness so that it plugged directly into the stock connectors if I ever wanted to go back.

I have the last of Gannon's kits that is ever going to be made and all the connectors to make them with. Once I sell out the completed stuff I will probably sell the kit as a DIY at a reduced price with all the connectors and pins plus the new coils. BUT, I am not sure if I will have resistors at that time.

Stock 85-89 or any year Dyna 3000 I highly suggest WITH the resistors. Some have ok luck without but it's a crap shoot.
Stock 90-07 can go without resistors and hold up better though they can still fail from the additional loads. The boxes are not as "fragile" though and seem to be holding up better.
Ignitech CDI's we sell can run either way as it's self load sensing and durable enough for the extra load of an unresistored kit. They have other benefits too of course.

Some troubles that can occur without resistors is the vboost quits working. Especially if you have a T-boost or other vboost device on there like a sassy.

I have the last of Gannon's kits that is ever going to be made and all the connectors to make them with. Once I sell out the completed stuff I will probably sell the kit as a DIY at a reduced price with all the connectors and pins plus the new coils. BUT, I am not sure if I will have resistors at that time.

Stock 85-89 or any year Dyna 3000 I highly suggest WITH the resistors. Some have ok luck without but it's a crap shoot.
Stock 90-07 can go without resistors and hold up better though they can still fail from the additional loads. The boxes are not as "fragile" though and seem to be holding up better.
Ignitech CDI's we sell can run either way as it's self load sensing and durable enough for the extra load of an unresistored kit. They have other benefits too of course.

Some troubles that can occur without resistors is the vboost quits working. Especially if you have a T-boost or other vboost device on there like a sassy.
I installed cops sold by BLAXMAX years ago on my 85 with the programmable controller. I have no idea if they have resistors or not, I'm guessing not since my vboost comes on any time it wants to. at idle or anywhere up to 6000 rpms.
I hope this isn't killing something on my bike. where would the resistors be located and what value should they be?
I went back and read his response to me,
"I just want to know because I was doing cops with resistors but no more. I did do a few for some that had bought cops with resistors on this site that had gone bad.
Dynatek ignitions are the only that need them."
so probably none on mine?????
later, bill

Last edited:
Thank you very much sir, but I dont understand what means individual resistors for each coil? can you show me picture of any resistor?
one quastion else: you mean ignition coil? (which are on the left side near stator 2 coils)

Our COP kit with resistors pictured

Attachments

• Vmax COP Kit w-Resistors.jpg
    Vmax COP Kit w-Resistors.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 55

Latest posts

Back