Just picked up a 1991 - New member

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdbaugh1

Reaction score
I just purchased a 1991 Vmax with 19,000 miles on it last Friday. I work on all my own junk so am in the initial phase, on the learning curve, where I am not yet familiar with the bike and its quirks. Bike seems to be running well and the first quirk I looked up was if it was normal for the oil level light to come on when I hammer down. Apparently it is though it still makes me uneasy. Is this forum still fairly active? I was wondering if some of you long time owners could let me know what all is good to look over, freshen up, and change. From what little I know I have changed the fluid in the rear wheel gear drive. I have a fuel filter and air filter ordered. It has a fresh coolant change because the previous owner just finished up changing the starter. The previous owner did do a few ricer things to the bike, like the fake carbon fiber wrap, which I intend on removing. The bike also apparently has the V-boost mod whatever that is called. There is a little three position switch. I'm not sure the difference between the back two positions but the front position definitely opens up the V-boost earlier because at a fixed throttle position I can feel it open up when I flip the switch. Seems like all this mod does is make more power with less throttle input which makes it seem faster though I would think the overall power would be the same as just opening up the throttle more with it off. Any opinions on this?

Well I already went on too long so if there is anything I should know or do please let me know.

0923181754.jpg

Start here: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=21240

Lots of good info.

The 3-way switch, set it for whatever makes you laugh the loudest. I prefer the stock setting, though having the VBoost open all the time gives it a rumpety-idle.

Like one guy's post, "if the red light doesn't illuminate, you're not hammering it hard-enough." Ignore the light, for the most-part.

Keeping a good set of tires on it is important. You should get probably 3X the use out of a front, compared to the rear.

Thanks for the reply. I read through that initial post and I wanted to ask if PCW still makes the clutch kits with the stiffer springs?

Thanks for the reply. I read through that initial post and I wanted to ask if PCW still makes the clutch kits with the stiffer springs?

Order 8 OEM plates (7 + 1) to replace the seven full-width friction discs plus another friction disc to replace the 1/2 friction disc w/a full width friction disc, discard the 1/2 disc. PCW will sell you their h-d diaphragm spring, you only need one, like the stock spring shape. The aftermarket clutch pressure plates use multiple springs like most bikes use. PCW will sell you 8 friction discs, the h-d spring, and a gasket for the clutch case cover.

I have not yet installed a clutch on any motorcycle so forgive me for asking for additional clarification but if I am understanding you right PCW will sell me OEM plates, HD spring, and a gasket for the clutch case cover. So I will reuse the stock clutch pressure plate as I assume that is what the single spring is for? If that is true then if I order the discs, spring, and gasket from PCW I will have everything I need to complete a clutch upgrade?

I have not yet installed a clutch on any motorcycle so forgive me for asking for additional clarification but if I am understanding you right PCW will sell me OEM plates, HD spring, and a gasket for the clutch case cover. So I will reuse the stock clutch pressure plate as I assume that is what the single spring is for? If that is true then if I order the discs, spring, and gasket from PCW I will have everything I need to complete a clutch upgrade?

Yes!

Well, congrats, and .. you came to the right place. :punk:

T$

Congrats on your new monster, welcome. Much good advice on this site.
I installed the PCW clutch package on my '95 and couldn't be happier with it.
I ordered the complete package (discs and spring) and installed without any problems.
They send good instructions and will answer all your questions via phone.

I just purchased a 1991 Vmax with 19,000 miles on it last Friday. I work on all my own junk so am in the initial phase, on the learning curve, where I am not yet familiar with the bike and its quirks. Bike seems to be running well and the first quirk I looked up was if it was normal for the oil level light to come on when I hammer down. Apparently it is though it still makes me uneasy. Is this forum still fairly active? I was wondering if some of you long time owners could let me know what all is good to look over, freshen up, and change. From what little I know I have changed the fluid in the rear wheel gear drive. I have a fuel filter and air filter ordered. It has a fresh coolant change because the previous owner just finished up changing the starter. The previous owner did do a few ricer things to the bike, like the fake carbon fiber wrap, which I intend on removing. The bike also apparently has the V-boost mod whatever that is called. There is a little three position switch. I'm not sure the difference between the back two positions but the front position definitely opens up the V-boost earlier because at a fixed throttle position I can feel it open up when I flip the switch. Seems like all this mod does is make more power with less throttle input which makes it seem faster though I would think the overall power would be the same as just opening up the throttle more with it off. Any opinions on this?

Well I already went on too long so if there is anything I should know or do please let me know.

View attachment 58969

That’s a nice bike!! How do you like those straight bars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's been a lot of debate on the V-boost switch. There is no right answer. Per some dyno testing, the stock setting of V-boost kicking in around 6K RPM provide the best power in the low and mid range. As F-M said, leave it where you like it best. No big deal.

Fluids and filters are always my first thing on a new machine.
Are the tires good?
Check the charging system for proper output
Brake pads in good shape?

How does it run? If it runs good and doesn't leak anything I'd say don't fix what ain't broke!

Pay attention to how the front end feels. Does it dive severely while braking? The stock fork springs are weak but they are often upgraded.

An upgrade to your front rotors and calipers may be a good future mod if everything else is up to snuff. You can bolt on some 93+ vmax rotors, buy some caliper adapters from Morleys Muscle, and install some Gen1 hayabusa calipers and you'll increase you're braking power significantly.

Latest posts

Back