COP's Harness pics

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88vmx12

Reaction score
DSC_0018-1.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

:clapping:Ok here is the first set.:clapping: $60 plus $5 flat rate shipping in the USA. They have a nylon sleeve that is rated for about 500 degrees melting point. I chose some good quality materials to get these going. I am the type that I don't like to skimp on materials. Do it once and never do it again! I have a list of those of you had emailed me. I will be soon getting the rest of the materials from the suppliers. I will continue to make small runs of these until there is no more interest in them.
Thanks G

Damn....hopefully there's still interest once I finally get my ass around to installing COPs on my Max. I would DEFINITELY go for some of these.
Might look good as a steel braided sleeve as well, what with the silver trim on the motors and such.

Great work I must say

Would it cost much to put an inline resistor in?
unfortunatly, the resistor is big, akward and ugly

I'll defo be in for a set. But as I'm not even gonna see my bike until next year, I need to be strong and try and keep the mod monkey at bay...

Great workmanship though! My only question, do you know the connectors' heat rating? I ask because a few months ago, I bought similar (although white) connectors to replace my stator output one which was burnt, and the new one I got melted in a matter of days.

VERY NICE WORK!! The Mod Monkey is pleased that you have gone through the effort to provide a reasonably priced and well done mod for your Vmax brothers and sisters!! You are hereby granted a 1 month free pass from your benevolent friends at the MMRB!!!:punk:

Ok guys I am sorry I was on CRACK! or my calculator was..... they are not $60 a set. They are $50 plus the $5 flat rate shipping. for those who have already sent money I will refund you when they are shipped!

Gannon

Ok guys I am sorry I was on CRACK! or my calculator was..... they are not $60 a set. They are $50 plus the $5 flat rate shipping. for those who have already sent money I will refund you when they are shipped!

Gannon

For your honesty we are changing the duration of the reprieve to 1.5 months, no more though:rofl_200:

really top notch work. i may be checkign back with ya!

So, if I want to add a resistor do I add just one resistor after the ignition fuse or do I need one for each COP? I'd love to have these really clean harnesses and COPs but don't want to risk burning out my ignition module. Thoughts?

So, if I want to add a resistor do I add just one resistor after the ignition fuse or do I need one for each COP? I'd love to have these really clean harnesses and COPs but don't want to risk burning out my ignition module. Thoughts?

I am understanding that when running a dyna or aftermarket ignition then a resitor is needed. Sean might want to chime in on this one.

Gannon

Great work I must say

Would it cost much to put an inline resistor in?
unfortunatly, the resistor is big, akward and ugly

you tell me wattage and ohms of resistors needed and I might possibly be able to heat shrink them on the end that the factory coil plug attatches. Also does it take only one per COP? Then I can tell you home much more they will cost. I have a very good electronics supplier locally

Gannon

you tell me wattage and ohms of resistors needed and I might possibly be able to heat shrink them on the end that the factory coil plug attatches. Also does it take only one per COP? Then I can tell you home much more they will cost. I have a very good electronics supplier locally

Gannon

1-1,5 Ohm and min. 25W, non inductice, 1% tolerance.

I have one of these on each COP (1ohm, 25W) and they're butt ugly, expecially after I wrap the wires in electrical tape. I'm looking for a professional kit like yours
resistor300.jpg

First, sorry about this long winded post . . .

As an electrical engineer I'll say that the resistor need not be non-inductive so just select them on their resistance and body style. The gold metal power resistors that many are using are "wire wound" and these are inductive. The caddock brand resistors are non-inductive because they are a "thick film" type resistor. The ignition coil and cops are inductive by nature because they are "wire wound" coils so buy either type.

Another thing, the original coils are around 2.75 ohms. If your cops + resistor are less then more current flow and greater heat is generated in the ignition module. This is why some Dyna modules have failed without resistors. Based on what I've read here on the forum the Yamaha modules seem to tolerate the higher current a bit better because I haven't heard of a factory ignition module dying with cops added. Has anyone else?

A single resistor, properly selected and placed in series with the red/white wire feeding the coils should work. This would keep the cops harness clean and perhaps give us more options of how to mount the resistor out of sight.

I'm waiting on my Denso cops to arrive and I'll gladly be the guinea pig with this single resistor approach. All I need are my harnesses (hint, hint. Gannon, do you have any left?) and I'll get started. You don't want to fry the ignition module or the cops resistor or the cops itself on a hot day or a long ride. The only way to pick the right resistor is with careful measurements taken on the bike while it's running. Too low a resistance and the cops may arc to the chassis due to over voltage (been reported on this forum), and have a shorter life. Too high a resistance and it will produce a weak spark. Because there are different cops with different internal resistances there will likely be different external resistors required on a case-by-case basis. This doesn't lend itself to a one-size-fits-all cop harness solution.

One final thought, the wattage of the resistors that is printed on the case is not what the resistor can handle unless its securely attached to a proper heat sink. Without a heat sink, or even worse, insulated in electrical tape or other wrapping, the actual wattage that the resistor can safely handle is reduced considerably.

The C oil O ver P lug set up powers the carb chains to a hyper excited state resulting in nearly 100% fuel burn thus extreme power boost and nearly double the gas milage. Also known to cure bunions in some riders.
Modmonkey made me do it!

Latest posts

Back