Radiator cap

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I just wanted to mention that there are threads on here about the replacement of your radiator cap w/an easier to get domestic part. I got mine at NAPA.

I replaced the radiator cap on both my V!Max and my FZR1000 which were o.e.m. parts original to the bikes. One was 19 yrs. old and the other was 25 yrs. old. The FZR had been running a bit hot in traffic lately. When I removed the cap, the reason was obvious because the rubber was swollen and deformed, so it probably wasn't pressurizing correctly. Now that I got a NAPA replacement it runs where it should, and no problem in traffic. I wired a switch for the fan motor long ago. I also replaced the VMax cap, it wasn't failed like the FZR's was, but preventative maintenance. Sure beats paying the factory price for the cap.

The thermostat is in good shape on both.

i recall reading months ago about twisting on a higher pressure rated cap. any insight? any bother?

Mine was leaking so I got a new one from an auto parts store.
It was also leaking (from the top of the cap!) so I took it back and got another one.
It leaked too.

I pulled the cap off my old '89 nissan 4cyl car. That works just fine!!!

Just make sure its rated for 1.1 bar relief (engraved on lid)... if it fits you are golden

Back