“New” ‘86 - Multiple Issues (carbs, Vboost, oil leaks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_max

Reaction score
Just picked up a ONE OWNER 86. Cosmetically pretty nice, but been laid up for several years. Battery dead, did not hear it run, but got an outstandingly good price on it.

It is turning into a handful! Carburetors, questionable fuel pump, Vboost inoperative, two massively leaking valve cover gaskets, fork seals.

The thing that has me most puzzled is that it only runs on the two rear cylinders. Do the two front cylinders have anything in common? The feeds from the TCI appear to be individual for each coil, so that unit might be ruled out. However the pick up coil’s impedances measure in spec, the ignition coils primaries and secondaries both appear to be intact as well. That really only leaves the TCI. Does that sound right? I suppose I could coincidentally have two dead front carburetors, but the slides are working well, they are receiving fuel, but still don’t work either at Idle or up on the mains.

I am lucky enough to have a bucket full of spares from previous Vmax’s but I don’t want to start throwing parts at this thing indiscriminately. Trying to put a little science behind it. But this one has me stumped. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 870F9EBD-813D-4E0A-ADE7-C9BD1F504BA1.jpeg
    870F9EBD-813D-4E0A-ADE7-C9BD1F504BA1.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 58
'85-'89 TCI boxes are the same, '90-'07 is another style/type. The '85-'89 TCI boxes are known to go-bad after time, more-than the '90+ TCI system. I think the Ignitech box can replace the early box, and I think Sean Morley has them ([email protected]).

The early ignition system can be replaced with the later system, but you have an expensive process, unless you have a 1990+ donor bike with good electrical parts. Pretty-sure that route requires the replacement of the stator, rotor, pick-up coils, wire harness, TCI box, and probably more.

Last edited:
I would agree. Most likely a bad CDI box. I have one remaining early OEM box and just a few Ignitechs on hand.

Well, two things.

One, I am not smart enough to figure out or remember how to PM on this board.

Two, I just remembered that my spare CDI is from an 85! I was thinking 94. So, I'm good I hope. Don't fret, though Sean. I'm sure we will still do some of that bidniss for this beast. It is a little needy. You probably wont remember, but we have done a few transactions in the past. I think you even bought a pair of scoops from me.

Glad to see the Vmax community still has its pillar!

I'm not going to make this a blow-by-blow for this bike's come back. You guys have seen and heard it all before. But, I feel compelled to complain bitterly about accessing and removing the electrical tray containing the TCI, front two coils and Vboost servo. What a pain. I have invented several choice new four letter words. So far, that hasn't been enough. Currently having lunch and licking my wounds. Literally. Finish later.

Sheesh.

Maybe go a step further and remove the valve covers, adjust the valves, and install new cover gaskets. You've got half the work done already.

Maybe go a step further and remove the valve covers, adjust the valves, and install new cover gaskets. You've got half the work done already.

Oh yes! Valve covers are high on the list. They’ve been leaking a couple of decades I think. Quite the mess.

Absolutely! Those are very high on the list. The things been leaking for a couple of decades I think. What a mess.

Shoot Sean and email and see if you can get one of his loaner valve adjustment kits. It has the tool to compress the bucket, a magnet for the shims, and plenty of shims.

If you do borrow it,be sure to get some OEM head gaskets from him too.

Send Sean an email asking about a valve adjustment loaner kit. He had a couple floating around. They have tons of shims, the bucket tool and a magnet. He will sell you some OEM gaskets too.

There is a great write up in the how to section on adjusting the valves.

I couldn't get the part out with the front coils on either, when I needed access to them I found it easier to release the radiator, the manual says just undo the bolts and slide it out......yeah right :confused:
good luck with yours

Sure helps if you disconnect the Vboost servo...

Got a few parts on the way from Mr. Morley. Handy fellow to have around.

A67E0DAE-7DDF-4695-810E-3C5CF56F07DA.jpeg EAD0FE51-6B28-4EC6-BA1A-3CCE745ABB7E.jpeg
This old girl has actually cleaned up rather nicely. As noted, this is my third Vmax. The first one was a mildly modified machine Decades ago. The second, was a 94 I acquired in 09 and enjoyed for six years. I had a lot of fun with that one, but spent way too much money on it. This latest one was one owner and absolutely unmolested but with a stack of maintenance receipts dating back to the 80s. I really think I’m going to keep it that stock. Mostly. Truth is, I’m really torn…. I have already taken liberties with the seat, courtesy of Mr. Morley. I may steal a couple of styling cues from the later machines on the scoops. I’ve already begun the polishing process on the upper half, and may very well paint the lower portion. Perhaps paint the side covers‘ lower halves as well. It’s hard not to do SOMETHING to these motorcycles. They respond so well to just a little love.

Still need a battery and need to do the fork seals and detail the front end. I believe when it’s all said and done I will have about $1600 or so into it as it sits - including the battery and seals. I also have a good friend who is an excellent painter, but it would no longer be original. The problem is, it is original with a few dings here and there. Messes with my sense of aesthetic’s…

Last edited:
Are you either willing to loan me your front fender or take it somewhere with an optical scanner to get a good color code for it? I think that's the correct color for the nines bike I have here.

Latest posts

Back