“New” ‘86 - Multiple Issues (carbs, Vboost, oil leaks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m really starting to feel guilty now, Sean. Hope I’m not holding you up on this build. I struck out with one of my favorite custom paint houses here. Guy wanted to match the paint, mix it and spray it. Wasn’t really interested in just doing a color match for me. Called another place and will swing by there tomorrow on the way home from work. Taking my airbox skin with me.

Not an issue. Won't be getting much done on this for awhile. I did get the carbs cleaned up just in case we want to try and fire it but still have to clean the tank (or replace it).

OK, Sean, do you use liner products, once the tank is scoured, and if-so, whose? Thanks.

I have bead blasted tanks clean and held up well. I should have a good used early tank with teh right sticker on it anyway. Will know more as I get into it. This is possibly the oiliest bike I have had come through here lol.

I've used a 4000 psi pressure washer (no, not-set that high!) to scour the insides of a tank, and that worked well. I haven't tried any liner products. I've heard good reports about POR-15 tank treatment, POR-15 is a rust inhibitor/treatment I've used on other stuff besides gas tanks, and it seems to hold-up well, and do what it's advertised to-do.

For your bead-blasting of tanks, do you have a long narrow curved nozzle to reach into the corners? I don't think I've seen one.

I got lucky on the tank on this 86. Although idle for quite some time, the tank was remarkably clean. Maybe the desert air, maybe luck. Either way, I'll take it. I hate dealing with scrogged fuel tanks.

Yes, the plastic media shop I use has a variety of homemade tips and extensions to reach into all the hard to get to places.

I have pressure washed tanks, cleaned them with vinegar tried the electrolysis with a battery charger they all seem to work just some faster than others. I have sealed my share to the only thing I use is KBS tank sealer. I have been using it foe years & it holds up really good just make sure you follow the instructions & do not get in a rush !

333A4A9D-685F-47B7-9DE5-24F13201383D.jpeg So much for unmolested one owner first generation Vmaxes. It ain’t like these things are rare or anything. And I don’t think I’ve ever had a motorcycle that I didn’t do “something” with. I had every intention of leaving this thing original, that intent lasted for about two weeks.

Finally got the exhaust on… The Dale Walker Holeshot full setup I picked up from Kyle. Had it ceramic coated. Sean’s mid cut seat and superbike bar. Happy with not having the heavy, too quiet stock exhaust system. Runs way better too. I raised the needles probably about .005 of an inch (a washer) and backed out a turn and a half on the idle mixture screws. The mains are still stock. Nearest I can tell, they will work fine. I don’t spend too much time above seven or 8000 RPM. But the Bike seems pretty happy with no apparent dead spots. In fact, I’d go so far as to say it runs like a scalded dog. But that’s just me.

Still plan to paint this thing, (but not before I get that code for Sean and the Nines bike.)

Last edited:
Nice! It's likely a little rich on the mains but should still run well. Looking good so far for sure.

This is the '86? Looks clean. Phoenix being < 1,100 ft above sea level, you can probably gain a bit more HP by dropping the main jets to 150 or 147.5 Mikuni.

I think your washer under the needle must-be very-thin! A stack of 200 of them would be an inch, at a thickness of 0.005" and a 1/8" high stack would be 25 of 'em. Regardless, I've found living at sea level that I enjoy the VMax performance more, when I lean 'em out a bit.

Yep. The 86.

And oops on my dimension...too many zeros. I just spouted a quick guestimate, didn't mic the darn things. Motor seems pretty happy right now and, for sure, the pilot is...

Thanks for the counsel you guys on jetting, for now I would definitely rather be rich than lean. Speaking of which, it's counterintuitive to put a freer flowing exhaust on there and yet still need to lean it out...? I'm not getting that one. Seems bass ackwards.

It does seem that way but, its the nature of the vmax.

Probably because the slightly-rich condition with-which it leaves the factory helps the longevity. A rich engine is going to run cooler than a too-lean engine. Those of us who grew-up around two-strokes know the lament, "man, it was running so-well, just-before it seized!"

View attachment 71851 So much for unmolested one owner first generation Vmaxes. It ain’t like these things are rare or anything. And I don’t think I’ve ever had a motorcycle that I didn’t do “something” with. I had every intention of leaving this thing original, that intent lasted for about two weeks.

Finally got the exhaust on… The Dale Walker Holeshot full setup I picked up from Kyle. Had it ceramic coated. Sean’s mid cut seat and superbike bar. Happy with not having the heavy, too quiet stock exhaust system. Runs way better too. I raised the needles probably about .005 of an inch (a washer) and backed out a turn and a half on the idle mixture screws. The mains are still stock. Nearest I can tell, they will work fine. I don’t spend too much time above seven or 8000 RPM. But the Bike seems pretty happy with no apparent dead spots. In fact, I’d go so far as to say it runs like a scalded dog. But that’s just me.

Still plan to paint this thing, (but not before I get that code for Sean and the Nines bike.)

Bike looks great! I have the holeshot exhaust as well at 1900' above sea level with 147.5 main jets. No worries about running lean, the free flowing exhaust causes it to draw more fuel and air. I noticed it pulled a lot harder on the highway in steeper gears.

View attachment 71004 View attachment 71003
This old girl has actually cleaned up rather nicely. As noted, this is my third Vmax. The first one was a mildly modified machine Decades ago. The second, was a 94 I acquired in 09 and enjoyed for six years. I had a lot of fun with that one, but spent way too much money on it. This latest one was one owner and absolutely unmolested but with a stack of maintenance receipts dating back to the 80s. I really think I’m going to keep it that stock. Mostly. Truth is, I’m really torn…. I have already taken liberties with the seat, courtesy of Mr. Morley. I may steal a couple of styling cues from the later machines on the scoops. I’ve already begun the polishing process on the upper half, and may very well paint the lower portion. Perhaps paint the side covers‘ lower halves as well. It’s hard not to do SOMETHING to these motorcycles. They respond so well to just a little love.

Still need a battery and need to do the fork seals and detail the front end. I believe when it’s all said and done I will have about $1600 or so into it as it sits - including the battery and seals. I also have a good friend who is an excellent painter, but it would no longer be original. The problem is, it is original with a few dings here and there. Messes with my sense of aesthetic’s…
I hear ya brother about leaving her stock. Your bike is only stock once and that is a nice one, its clean and straight. here are some pics of my 85 when I first got it, first got it running
and first rode it while waiting for the seat to be done.
I dont know why I didnt just leave it stock but at the same time cant imagine leaving it stock. One thing for sure is youll enjoy the Max no matter what you decide.
1b.png080712094240.jpg080612195126.jpg

Not to resurrect the dead, but this 86 has me smitten. A one owner bike that had been sitting up for years, it needed a lot of love, but has turned out to be really sweet. I was going to stay very close to stock with it, but that didn’t last long. Looks like it is definitely the keeper. Solid, very well preserved, runs like stink. It even won out over the 05 anniversary bike.

But what started out as a budget build… I picked it up very cheaply… Has become anything but. Little by little, it has become a full priced Vmax. Frame braces by Morley, and now something totally frivolous - Busa brake kit from the Captain (on the way). The only thing left from my perspective (yeah right) are solid motor mounts. And paint or wrap for the second set of skins that I already have.

So what had the potential for being a very nice, well preserved 86 lost that opportunity.
But what fun would that have been? The Holeshot exhaust alone was worth the price of admission. I think I like it better than the Kerker 4-2-1.

The only problem is I’m racking up miles on it faster than I had expected. But if it’s a keeper, that’s hardly a downside.

Carry on...

Back