'01 V-Max vs. Concour 14

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CB2DMax

Reaction score
My buddy recently purchased a Kawasaki Concour 14. He challenged me to a race and my '01 Max won. My Max has Stage 1 carb kit, K&N air filter, and Kerker slip ons. From a 10 MPH roll, I pulled 1.5 bikes in 1st, 1/2 bike in 2nd, 1/2 bike in 3rd, and was pulling him in 4th when I shut 'er down. He wouldn't run me in high gear roll on, but did agree to run me in 5th with him in 5th (he has a 6 speed tranny). We stayed side by side until we got up to 70 MPH, and I began pulling him! Interesting! :eusa_dance:

My buddy recently purchased a Kawasaki Concour 14. He challenged me to a race and my '01 Max won. My Max has Stage 1 carb kit, K&N air filter, and Kerker slip ons. From a 10 MPH roll, I pulled 1.5 bikes in 1st, 1/2 bike in 2nd, 1/2 bike in 3rd, and was pulling him in 4th when I shut 'er down. He wouldn't run me in high gear roll on, but did agree to run me in 5th with him in 5th (he has a 6 speed tranny). We stayed side by side until we got up to 70 MPH, and I began pulling him! Interesting! :eusa_dance:

Well sir, I will be the first to congratulate you. I always like hearing stories of a Max skull dragging other bikes into submission. I especially enjoy reading about an unsuspecting Harley tard getting spanked but in this case, a Concours will do fine. What year is your Max and how many miles?

I believe I remember a Concour 14 at the Sportbike dyno pulling horsepower numbers in the high 130's. The ZX14 engine must have been seriously revised for touring duty in the concour b/c the same engine is rated for about 170 hp in the Ninja.

Blaine Williams
Ontario, Canada

The V-Max weighs about 90 lbs. less than the Concour. The gearing is better too, which explains how I was able to pull him 1.5 bikes in 1st gear.

Odd you do this comparison. I have two bikes, one a new to me 2000 Vmax and the other a 2008 Concours 14. From the little I have ran the Vmax it seems once the quarter passes the Kawi would shine. It seems to pull strong a lot longer than the Vmax. That ZX14 motor was tuned down a bit on the HP but it has a much nicer torque band for every day cruising. Anything short of the drag strip and I'm glad they went the route they did.

The Concours wasn't detuned that much from
what I understand. Gearing may be different for
sport touring but thought the 6 speed would give
him the edge. He should have been able to pull the
Max, aren't the Concours rated at like a 150 + hp ?
Anyway a kills a kill,
Congrats

Back