1st Gen V-Max 04 vmax.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross L

Reaction score
VMax Year
Bought this 04 off the forum. Didn’t seem to get much attention in the ad and I’m thankful. Rode it about 350 miles to get home, including rain, heat and traffic. Had forward controls that I couldn’t really reach which made it more interesting. It’s got several Morley mods that the original owner added. It’s a higher mileage ( if you consider 31k high) bike but rides better than new, IMO. I did the DD mod and changed all fluids. Happy to be back on a VMAX!

Attachments

• 5D887D67-8696-41F3-884A-3345280FFE82.jpeg
    5D887D67-8696-41F3-884A-3345280FFE82.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 121
  • DF960180-D4FD-4FEC-83B3-25BD43FBFEBC.jpeg
    DF960180-D4FD-4FEC-83B3-25BD43FBFEBC.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 3ACB6634-9B1A-4B5E-80D4-05A0EBEFF703.jpeg
    3ACB6634-9B1A-4B5E-80D4-05A0EBEFF703.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 111
Those wheels are no-good, I'll swap you a good set of OEM wheels for them, so you don't need to worry any-more about 'em! o_O

Thirty-one thousand miles is nothing, if you pay-attention to the bike, don't overheat it, and change the oil regularly. If it doesn't have an aftermarket ignition box on it, getting one for the use of its rev-limiter if you like to wring the throttle is a wise move for ensuring longevity. They don't like to be over-revved.

You have a good ride there, take good care of it.

Those wheels are no-good, I'll swap you a good set of OEM wheels for them, so you don't need to worry any-more about 'em! o_O

Thirty-one thousand miles is nothing, if you pay-attention to the bike, don't overheat it, and change the oil regularly. If it doesn't have an aftermarket ignition box on it, getting one for the use of its rev-limiter if you like to wring the throttle is a wise move for ensuring longevity. They don't like to be over-revved.

You have a good ride there, take good care of it.

Ha ha thanks for the offer. I don’t know much about them( wheels) other than pretty rare, light and awesome. Forgot to mention the Venture rear gear. It’s a cruiser for me so the slight loss of acceleration( if there is one) is worth it for the slight rpm reduction on the highway. I’ll keep that in mind on the ignition! Thanks.

Sean Morley was likely the source for the wheels' original purchase, Marchesini from Italia! [email protected] to contact Sean if you want to feed the Mod Monkey.

Correction Carrozzeria (thanks to Sean Morley)

Last edited:
Bought this 04 off the forum. Didn’t seem to get much attention in the ad and I’m thankful. Rode it about 350 miles to get home, including rain, heat and traffic. Had forward controls that I couldn’t really reach which made it more interesting. It’s got several Morley mods that the original owner added. It’s a higher mileage ( if you consider 31k high) bike but rides better than new, IMO. I did the DD mod and changed all fluids. Happy to be back on a VMAX!

In reference to the second photo:

At 31k miles it's not broken in yet. They won't make the best power until they get to 50-60k at least. We've dyno'd nearly 100k mile bikes and they just keep making more and more power.
Good information! I added a fan switch today after reading your “how to” post( after watching the needle creep up while stuck in Houston traffic)This is my second VMAX and I don’t think I’ve ever heard the fans run before. It seems to really move some air!

Are those wheels a direct swap and same tyre size as original?

Do you have details, maybe a link, to the website?

Italy being in Europe could mean they are not ad eye wateringly expensive if imported from the US.

https://www.coremoto.com/product_p/yamr12vsgd.htm
They’re 18” wheels. The rear tire ( 180/55-18) diameter is about same as stock tire. My front tire is a little shorter. I believe they were a direct swap. I’m not sure you can buy the wheels “new” so a used set would be your only option. Could be wrong.

As I recall, the 18" low-profile wheel/tire combo of 55 series is about 1/2" shorter in height than the OEM 15 inch but much-taller tire profile. The height difference for a 17" low-profile wheel/tire is considerable, from the OEM, and it costs you top-end, considerably. I've posted before about that.

Very nice looking bike, man.

The 180/55-18 appears to be .2” taller than factory 150/90-15 according to the tire calculators. The front 120/70 -18 is 1” shorter than factory 110/90-18. Id like to run a taller front tire due to speedometer being off about 4 mph at 70.

The Rims and tires? Have you any idea the cost? And are they Factory Mount? Would Love them for my 07

Sean Morley had a group buy on them a while back. Think they were close to $2500. Along with the extended swing arm I “think” they bolted right up. Best riding VMAX I’ve personally ever ridden. Contact Morley, maybe he can set u up although I don’t believe they’re available “new” anymore.

Id like to run a taller front tire due to speedometer being off about 4 mph at 70.
Why?

I'm pretty certain that here in the UK, by law a speedo had to over read, usually by up to 10%. I'm not sure why but if the speedo is showing a speed faster than you are actually going, then less likely to get speeding tickets.

Yours is well under that 10%.

Why?

I'm pretty certain that here in the UK, by law a speedo had to over read, usually by up to 10%. I'm not sure why but if the speedo is showing a speed faster than you are actually going, then less likely to get speeding tickets.

Yours is well under that 10%.

possibly to allow for people to use different size tyres and change of gearing on some machines 🙃

Back