09 ABS Module is blocked

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wrote in an earlier thread that I could not bleed my rear brakes. Tried forward and backward. The issue is that the ABS block must have a stuck solenoid. It won't allow the brake fluid to flow into it from the rear master cylinder. I hear nothing from the unit when I start the bike and there are no error codes whatsoever. I believe there is a stuck solenoid in the unit. I have no blown fuses and I have taken off the electrical connection and cleaned it. The service manuel gives instructions for self tests but nothing helped. The rear brake is rock hard but doesn't work the rear caliper. A new unit is almost $1000 discounted. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I just don't want to go to the dealer, spend a couple of hundred dollars yet for them to tell me the unit needs replacement which I can easily do myself. I can't be the first person to have this happen to.

While anything is possible, I personally have never seen a "stuck" solenoid on any manufacturers ABS hydraulic block. Where do you have fluid that is operating normally? If you press on the brake and crack open the line say at the master, Is there fluid? If you move up the line to the ABS block inlet and crack the line....is there fluid? After the ABS block and so on. I would like an internally collapsed rubber hose before I would assume an ABS block would be bad. BUT.....remember....just cause I havent seen this particular type of failure before, doesnt mean it isnt happening to you right now.

I disconnected the fluid line from the rear master cylinder to the abs inlet on the abs block. No issues with fluid to that point. It is from there that there is no fluid. As far as I can see the lines are metal so I am not sure how a line could be crushed. I guess I could disconnect the line coming out of the abs unit to see if there is any fluid coming out and if so I would know that the issue is between the start of that line and the brake caliper.

Yes, you gotta keep cracking lines open to see where the fluid stops coming from. Line from master, line to ABS, line from ABS, line to rubber hose, line from rubber hose, line to caliper. Its messy, but it will save you money from the dealer.

The ABS units can and do go bad on these bikes! Used are hard to come by and I sell them not long after they come in.

I know fluid is going into the unit. I disconnected the line out of the unit that goes to the rear brake caliper. No fluid when I push brake pedal. The pedal is still hard. Also the service manual says when I turn the bike on I should hear the unit go through a self check mode. Totally quiet. No ABS codes either. I checked all 3 fuses ECU, solenoid and motor fuse and they are all good. Sounds to me that the unit is not powering up like it should. Are there any other fuses I should be looking for?

how did you check the fuses? did you check there is power going to the fuse, and if the fuse is whole, power on the other side and also power atthe abs unit itself?

Do you have the wiring diagram (I assume there is one in the service manual).

In case you don't below is a wiring diagram found on here: cvvmax's Garage

Attachments

• yamaha_gen2_v-max_wiring_diagram_bw_with_colored_tags_v1_0-u1.pdf
    779.2 KB · Views: 0
I just pulled the fuses and they were not blown. I guess if I took my multimeter and checked the two contacts I should get voltage at each of these points correct?

Exactly, if there is no power going to the fuse, even if it is intact, no power out. You would set the multimeter to volts range, (20v), black lead to an earth and red probe to measure the voltage.

I will take a closer look at the wiring diagram to see how the ABS is connected. (I have gen 1 so doubt I'll be able to help much but electricity works the same on all models).

I tested all three fuse points and I have proper voltage at all points. Next I am going to check the wheel sensors. I was reading in the manual that this can cause an issue as well.

Right. Manual contains stern warnings to keep magnets away from the sensors too. I thought the chances of accidentally getting a magnet in that area were slim till realizing brake bleed catch bottles are often fitted with a magnet.

I replaced the front wheel sensor which was giving me an ABS11 and ABS25 code. Cleared the codes and it is still not working. When I do the self test I am only getting pulsing from the front brakes not the back. The service manual give no direction as to why this is happening or what to do about it. Bottom line is I have no ABS light and no codes now and I still have no fluid flowing through the ABS block and back to my rear caliper.

Back