09 vmax sputtering

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaleb_corn

Reaction score
Hi, newer gen2 owner here. I recently bought a used 09 vmax with following mods: air box mod with K&n filter, cat delete with stock mufflers, gurued ecu. The issue I am having is that around the 2500-4500 rpm the bike gets a little "sputtery" and sluggish. You can hear the difference in the left exhaust. It doesn't seem to backfire much but you can hear the difference around the 5k mark when everything kicks in as it should and she screams. It's almost as tho you can hear and feel a cylinder kicking in?
I changed the plugs, checked my filter and checked the throttle bodies with a digital synchronizer I bought. I'm not sure where else to look here as this is my first fuel injected vmax. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Let me know if there's something I missed or need to try.

Last edited:
can you bring it back to stock and see if it clears up? that would help with diagnostics. it being fuel injected i wonder if you can pull codes.

can you bring it back to stock and see if it clears up? that would help with diagnostics. it being fuel injected i wonder if you can pull codes.
I havnt tried pulling any codes yet. I will look into doing that after work. Do you mean bring the ecu flash back to stock? Is it possible without having it sent back in?

Tune is off either have it reflashed or put a power commander on it.
Thank you for the feedback. It's been pouring rain here last cpl days but supposed to be nice tomorrow. I'll get out there and check but I might have seen a power commander hiding behind my RH side cover. Never messed with one before

Thank you for the feedback. It's been pouring rain here last cpl days but supposed to be nice tomorrow. I'll get out there and check but I might have seen a power commander hiding behind my RH side cover. Never messed with one before

Unfortunately with the PCV, you need to have a good STARTING point, to know where to go. The pcv deals with percentage of fuel. 1%.......2%......etc. If your not using an autotune or having it on the dyno at the time, its strictly a guess, as to what the A/F readings are, or what the throttle position is. Now, the work around as far as throttle position, is you can put the bike into diagnostic mode for that information.

Latest posts

Back