• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

09 won't start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank09

Reaction score
Help Please!! Just a little back ground information, i'm the original owner of my 09 and it has 6800 miles. I keep the bike year round in a dry attached garage and don't ride it in the rain. Went to start it this year and the 5 year old battery was dead. Hooked up my battery charger that has a jump start option and attempted to start it. It cranked strong and it fired several times but wouldn't start. After a while trying to get it started, i did smell fuel coming out of the exhaust so definitely getting fuel. At this point i figured it's time to change the original plugs because they are probably fouled by now, and they were wet. So changed the plugs, and o yes it was fun, and also replaced the battery prior to attempting to restart the bike. So with new plugs and battery, battery charger not connected and put away, i tried to start it. The bike again fired several times but wouldn't start. I did notice every time it fired and tried to run, the headlight would turn on for a second or two and go out when the bike continued to crank. If i remember correctly from years past that the headlight stays out when the bike cranks and turns on when it starts. Anyone have ideas where to start on troubleshooting this? Thanks!!

First thing to do is to go into the diagnostics mode and check for codes. Most electrical components are monitored.

Since you were in around the battery you might want to check that the lean sensor is in the proper orientation.......I'm not sure the bike would even crank if it isn't but it's worth taking a look at.

lean.jpg

Thanks for the response and valuable info!! The lean sensor connection looks undisturbed and ok. Thanks for the on board diagnostic info, I had no idea the bike had that. I do remember the odometer was displaying a 2 digit number, I didn't know it was displaying a fault code. I don't remember what the number was though. I'm at work now and will look when I get home tonite....thanks!

Thanks for the response and valuable info!! The lean sensor connection looks undisturbed and ok. Thanks for the on board diagnostic info, I had no idea the bike had that. I do remember the odometer was displaying a 2 digit number, I didn't know it was displaying a fault code. I don't remember what the number was though. I'm at work now and will look when I get home tonite....thanks!

The code was 60. The manual says defective throttle servo motor or malfunction in ECU for the servo motor driving system. Sounds like a whole lot of money to me.

The code was 60. The manual says defective throttle servo motor or malfunction in ECU for the servo motor driving system. Sounds like a whole lot of money to me.

Ewww....that's not one I've seen before. Has your ECU been re-flashed?

It may be worthwhile to unplug the ECU and reconnect to re-seat all of the connections.

So in the diagnostics mode if you go to D:01 this is the throttle position sensor output. When you turn the throttle you should see the numbers go from approx. 15-100. That is the full range of the throttle driven by the servo.

Any chance a mouse might have chewed a wire or 2? I'm just making guesses now....kind of strange a part like that would just fail.

Last edited:
I'm sure the fuel quality is good and the wiring is intact(no mice eating there). I did reseat the 2 plugs on the ECU and the same code popped up. I will check the throttle position sensor output on D:01 when i get home from work tonite. Is it possible when i 1st tried to start the bike using the battery charger start feature, that it fried the ECU from a voltage or current spike? Thanks for the suggestions and info...keep them coming!

Forgot to mention that the ECU has not been flashed and is original.

I'm sure the fuel quality is good and the wiring is intact(no mice eating there). I did reseat the 2 plugs on the ECU and the same code popped up. I will check the throttle position sensor output on D:01 when i get home from work tonite. Is it possible when i 1st tried to start the bike using the battery charger start feature, that it fried the ECU from a voltage or current spike? Thanks for the suggestions and info...keep them coming!

Unfortunately a good spike could conceivably have that effect although I haven't heard of happening on a VMax.

I have a friend that knows these ECU's quite well. I'll see if I can reach him tomorrow and get his opinion. If it's just been bricked, then it can be re-flashed back to stock or better. If not it'll need to be replaced.
There was/is one for sale here that I considered buying as a backup earlier this year.....

Hey Itgoes, would you be open to talk on the phone at your convience? D:14 and D:15(Accel position sensors) both go from 16 - 100 when i swist throttle from close to fully open. Think throttle servo is good.

D:61(malfunction history code display) is showing 20 and 70. I'm not sure if this would keep the bike from firing?

Hey Itgoes, would you be open to talk on the phone at your convience? D:14 and D:15(Accel position sensors) both go from 16 - 100 when i swist throttle from close to fully open. Think throttle servo is good.

D:61(malfunction history code display) is showing 20 and 70. I'm not sure if this would keep the bike from firing?

PM sent

Latest posts

Back