09'Vmax stalling intermittently on idol / Gurued Gear

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 16333

Reaction score
2009 Vmax mods: Gurued Gear ECU Re-flash ~ Akrapovic exhaust.
Recent replacement of air filter, battery, stator, rectifier regulator, starter motor, coolant.
__________________________________________________ _________

My bike is stalling intermittently on idol, it's been progressively getting worse over the last 6 months.
It has never stalled when shifting. It'll stall after about 3 seconds after the clutch is engaged.

A little more info regarding the intermittency, I do not see any real pattern.
It may have this problem for an hour straight, (have to keep the R's up when coming to a stop) then
park for 30 minutes and it will run perfect. But, other times shutting down does not help.
When it runs right, I do not hear or feel any inconsistency at idol. When it's in problem mode
its hard to start, you have to regulate the gas, otherwise it will stall.

Any ideas?
Are there periodic adjustments required on the Gurued Gear unit?

The reflashed ECU shouldn't need any adjustments, it is working off of the feedback from the sensors. My first thought is a faulty sensor such as the O2 sensor or throttle position sensor.

Thank you for the response.
The issue has turned into a full blown stalling situation. On the highway, I felt a couple of power losses. Pulled over, all fluid levels good. Headed for home, she ran fine for some 10 minutes, got off the highway onto access road and stalled out. Let her rest for 20 minutes and I was able to ride home, stalling out a couple more times. Ran it the next day for 30 minutes, she ran perfectly. Stalled again today..
Ran diagnostic codes.

TPS are with-in values D1 = 15 to 100.
D61 = 11
D62 = 1 - Looks to be displaying a malfunction, just don't know how to track it from here.

Not sure how to test the O2 sensor.
Maybe fuel filter or fuel pump, throttle body ~ Where to start!
Any ideas?

Last edited:
D61 is the Malfunction history code display in your case #11 (If more than one code number is detected, the display alternates every two seconds to show all the detected code numbers. When all code numbers are shown, the display repeats the same process.)

D62 is the Malfunction history code erasure; No malfunction code = 00;
Malfunction code exists Fault code 24
• (If more than one code number is detected, the display alternates every two seconds to show all the detected code numbers. When all code numbers are shown, the display repeats the same process.)
Section 8-40 of the Service Manual refers.

The Service Manual has the following to say about Code 11 (Section 8-43 refers)

Fault code No. 11 - Cylinder identification sensor: no normal signals are received from the cylinder identification sensor.

Fail-safe system:
Unable to start engine
Able to drive vehicle

Diagnostic code No. —
Meter display —

Probable cause of malfunction
1 Installed condition of cylinder identification sensor.
• Check for looseness or pinching.
2 Connections
• Cylinder identification sensor coupler
• Wire harness ECU coupler
• Check the coupler for any pins that may be pulled out.
• Check the locking condition of the coupler.
• If there is a malfunction, repair it and connect the coupler securely. 3 Open or short circuit in wire harness
• Repair or replace if there is an open or short circuit.
• Between cylinder identification sensor coupler and ECU coupler. (blue–blue) (white/black–white/black) (black/blue–black/blue)
4 Defective cylinder identification sensor.
• Replace if defective.
Refer to “CHECKING THE CYLINDER IDENTIFICATION SENSOR” on page 8-139.
Reinstatement method Starting the engine and operating it at idle.

If you don't already have suggest you get a copy of the Service Manual

That's really good information, I have a service manual and checked the procedure for testing.
All I’m in a position to do is physically inspect the harness for any pinching/damage, ECU couplers, connections and try and
locate the sensor to inspect it. I’m thinking coincidence, but seems the stalling happened the same day or with-in a day
or two of washing. I'll see what I can find and update.

Upon inspection and cleaning, I could not rectify the fault code.

More interesting, my VIN falls within a recall effecting the Accelerator Position Sensor & TPS.
I just got the repair for my bike verified from Yamaha.. A sub-lead wire gets installed that bypasses
the problem area of the wire harness. Since they will have to R&I components to repair, I should get
a decent break on the labor, whatever the fix is. I have 30K on the plugs, may be a good time for that too..

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2010/RCRIT-10V327-9786.pdf

After all that went down, my bike is finally fixed.
The Accelerator Position Sensor was replaced. They also did the recall that involved the sub-lead wire install.

I get on the bike, and within 2 mi, it stalled out. Took it back to the shop.
They had it for another week, the technician cleared the code and supposedly that action took care of problem.
Strange to me that the bike has the same stalling problem and when the code is cleared, it's fixed!
Sound right to you?

When I picked up the bike, on top of my bike having coolant splashed on one side of the engine, the tech should have
cleared the code to complete the repair (Yes, its an authorized dealership).

ReallyMax1.jpg

After all has been said and done, I'm glad its fixed, I'm ready to move from this mal-function.

Latest posts

Back