• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

10 new Gen 2 1700 Crate motors with ECU

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you guys feel for the right price? I think he's looking for $7500 per engine averaged out over the batch of 10 ($75k) or maybe a little more one at a time. He's not interested in $2500 or even $4k for one (which is what I offered for all of them). I don't blame him as they are $9k new and nothing most can even get from Yamaham.
As Ouchez stated though, why spend $7500 on an engine when a couple grand more gets you a whole new bike? Itgoes states that these engines rarely fail as well. I dont think Yamaha makes another bike with this engine either. So that makes the market dwindle down to more like a niche market really. He is gonna have to come to terms that flooding the market with 10 engines is gonna drive the price down all by itself. $2500-$4000 is not unreasonable for a mass lot of engines. Expecting full dealer pop simply wont happen.

One of two things are gonna happen with this guy....well maybe 3....One....He will sit on these engines for years and years and years trying to get next to retail pop for them. 2....he finally realizes economics will always win and he has to sell at a discounted price to move them. Or the highly unlikely scenario....he manages to find someone who will pay his full pop on all 10 engines.

As they say, every seat finds an ass.

The odds are against him but I happen to witness a purchase similar and that person is somewhere out there. Good luck to him I suppose. Unless? Does anyone know how to shove this into a golf cart. It’s a Yamaha to so they should have some sort of engine swap available wouldn’t you think??? Just chain yanking. I’m new and was looking through old posts for answers. Definitely had to respond I’ve been reading and reading and I like it!!!Keep up the good work

You can spend $7500 and up building a 200 rwhp gen 1 engine alone. You can't get a "NEW" complete bike for $9k. His price will be met but it will be few and far between sales. He might get a few fairly quickly but after that he'll own them for awhile. Good luck on the sales!

You can spend $7500 and up building a 200 rwhp gen 1 engine alone. You can't get a "NEW" complete bike for $9k. His price will be met but it will be few and far between sales. He might get a few fairly quickly but after that he'll own them for awhile. Good luck on the sales!

True, but I got my 2011, albeit used, for 7250.

The odds are against him but I happen to witness a purchase similar and that person is somewhere out there. Good luck to him I suppose. Unless? Does anyone know how to shove this into a golf cart. It’s a Yamaha to so they should have some sort of engine swap available wouldn’t you think??? Just chain yanking. I’m new and was looking through old posts for answers. Definitely had to respond I’ve been reading and reading and I like it!!!Keep up the good work
THAT would be something to see!!!

I find it totally neat to hear about these. I agree he'll be waiting a looong time waiting on one of ours to fail, but maybe someone with the same original intention to use in other customs would be more interested. Even then I'd bet against him getting that price. I personally wouldn't trust them and at that price, I'd try to get one from yamaha with an intact warranty.

I find it totally neat to hear about these. I agree he'll be waiting a looong time waiting on one of ours to fail, but maybe someone with the same original intention to use in other customs would be more interested. Even then I'd bet against him getting that price. I personally wouldn't trust them and at that price, I'd try to get one from yamaha with an intact warranty.
You cannot get one from Yamaha as a general consumer. It was many many phone calls for me to get one for a Warranty replacement and the regional rep had to come down and get it all worked out with Yamaha. At the time I got the only one available in North America!

Attachments

• Gen 2 Crate 1.jpg
    Gen 2 Crate 1.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Gen 2 Crate 2.jpg
    Gen 2 Crate 2.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Gen 2 Crate Engine Part Number.jpg
    Gen 2 Crate Engine Part Number.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 41
If you look at it another way, how much do people sink into PCW,s gen 1,s that don't come close to these. In that light they are worth the $7500 easily. If you wanted to fab a big project or new drag bike project.

If you look at it another way, how much do people sink into PCW,s gen 1,s that don't come close to these. In that light they are worth the $7500 easily. If you wanted to fab a big project or new drag bike project.

That is a valid point.

I think everyone would agree that its a decent value, it's just that they haven't been breaking so there is no market.

$7500 is a significant discount, they were 10K from the factory.

I have seen a pristine very low mileage used one sell for 4K. That was a good deal, they don't often come around however.

If you keep an eye on the salvage yards, occasionally a wrecked Gen 2 will show up cheap........they are usually wrecked real good with an intact engine.

Exactly but it's still "Used". New never comes up and depending on your project and budget it can be justified. BUT, as you pointed out the average guy riding or wanting a gen 2 will never likely need one. So, the market is going to be pretty soft from those guys limiting the number of guys wanting one.

kirk,

I know I will be losing money but make a reasonable offer. Remember they are new. Email me or call me 321. 747. 8164.

What is the price for just one? I assume it’s the full unit, transmission?
I would like to get 7k that is a couple grand less than they cost. Freight included. Make me an offer.

I would like to get 7k that is a couple grand less than they cost. Freight included. Make me an offer.
Honestly man....Here is where I think about the deal....If.....IF my engine pops.....I would either source out a new bike for a few grand more, find a cheap engine online, or rebuild. All are extremely cheap options. With the exception of a new bike, all other options will cost substantially less than $7000.

Mind you...this is just my opinion on it. Supply and demand is basic economics. You have an over-abundance of engines for a rare bike that rarely have engine problems. A couple grand less than retail pop is not gonna entice people. Maybe a couple....but not enough to move all your engines.

I said it before....to move those engines....you will need to sell for at below bargain basement prices. Otherwise you will be holding on to those engines for a very long time. Good luck man.

Latest posts

Back