1300 or 1500?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

great white

Reaction score
Bear with me here as this engine is going in to a 1st Generation Venture, not a VMax.

My current plans were to take the VMax heads and plop them down on my 1983 Venture, drop in a 2002 transmission and a VMax final drive and call it done.

But I have a few "opportunities" pop up recently and am now re-evaluating my options.

Option 1: carry on as planned above

Option 2: Snap up a 1985 Venture that is for sale locally (CHEAP!), buy the 1500 kit and drop the VMax heads on it. Transmission and final drive as above.

Option 3: drive about 14 hours away and pick up a 1300 (engine only, questionable mileage). Drop the VMax heads on it. Transmission and final drive as above.

If I were to build the 1500, I've got lots of time to spread the work (and cost) out as there is nothing wrong with my low mile venture as it sits. I'd just pull the motor this winter and slip in the transmission. Maybe drop the VMax cams in also.

I'm a power junky, no denying it. The Venture moves out decent for what it is, but I want more. That's why I'm kind of liking the 1500 option. I could build it as heavily breathed on as I want and take lots of time to do it.

The Venture is also my around town and back and forth to work ride. It's not really used as a long distance tourer, but it does do a couple good highway runs a year for 4-5 hours at a stretch.

Around town is where I would think the extra CC's a 1500 would give me would get the nod and make up for a bit "softer" bottom end using the VMax heads/cams might give me.

But it's got to be liveable on a daily basis. IE; no overheating, run out past 100,000 miles, decent fuel mileage (mid 30's would be fine), be tractable and easily ridden (ie: the missus goes with me sometimes and I need to be smooth for her to enjoy it), etc.

There's also the fact that the 85 is a complete (used but not abused) bike. Lots of useable/sell-able parts and that's always a good thing with an old bike in the stable.

So, any opinions?

The more I think about it, the more I lean towards riding the 83 1200 for a few more years and taking that time to build a 'Max'd 1500...:hmmm:

Depends on your pockets if i had to do it all over again i would not do it i paid 7k for my pcw 1500 i wish i would have put that money towards a zx1400 my 1400 is awesone it handles its has gobs of torque and power and its reliable, dont get me wrong i love my vmax and would never part with her. Its great to have these 2 bikes vmax is like an old muscle car and the zx1400 is like a ferrari

Depends on your pockets if i had to do it all over again i would not do it i paid 7k for my pcw 1500 i wish i would have put that money towards a zx1400 my 1400 is awesone it handles its has gobs of torque and power and its reliable, dont get me wrong i love my vmax and would never part with her. Its great to have these 2 bikes vmax is like an old muscle car and the zx1400 is like a ferrari

I fly helicopter Search and Rescue and, unfortunately, I am busted up to the point that I can't ride anything that crunches me over. Even My FJ1200 is painful more than about 10-15 minutes.

That's why I have the Venture.

Why do you regret your 1500?

Price? For 7 grand, I would think you have more than just the big bore kit done.

If I were to build the 1500, I would just order the PCW kit and have the sleeves installed locally. I have a top notch shop almost in my back yard that builds NHRA engines. Not a problem for them and I know the guy who owns the shop pretty well...:biglaugh:

You'd be surprised at how quickly prices can add up. That price would have included larger cams and some other misc work at the same time.

A 1428cc will leave more wall thickness and still run excellent. Do it without head/cam work (using Vmax heads/cams at least) and you'd have around 150 rwhp potential with a good exhaust, 1300 venture carbs, custom header and jet kit.

Sean

You'd be surprised at how quickly prices can add up. That price would have included larger cams and some other misc work at the same time.

A 1428cc will leave more wall thickness and still run excellent. Do it without head/cam work (using Vmax heads/cams at least) and you'd have around 150 rwhp potential with a good exhaust, 1300 venture carbs, custom header and jet kit.

Sean

That sounds like a pretty good recipe for a good engine for my uses.

Thanks, I'll look closer at it.

:)

That sound close to my engine spec, 1420 cc with profiled camshafts, stronger valve springs and three stage valve lap.Stage 7, Kerker and entirely docile until the hounds of hell start pulling at around 7000 rpm. Forget boost (mine is enabled) but I never feel it. 148.5 hp measured RWHP. Not too shabby for an engine designed when I was thirteen years old (44 years ago for you whipper snappers) and still punching it's weight easily :)

Chris

Back