1428cc Beast, Own one or larger?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmakatt

Reaction score
I'm highly considering purchasing a 1428cc VMax. I will also be prepared to have it looked over and do what work is necessary and than some. I'm looking for guys who've owned or own Big Block VMaxs and would like to share their experience with others.

Thanks,

KarmaKatt

I owned a year 2000 Vmax , bought new and had PCW do their 1500 Tourmaster at the 37000 mile mark. I ran it as a 1500 for about two years and never had a problem. Made 165 RWHP and never took a back seat to any bone stock Gen 2 Vmax. I did have a larger capacity radiator and manual fan switch to address the tendency to run hot in town. Glen Bears now owns the bike. I would be interested if he has had any issues?

rick rash

Cheers Rick...
Was she a monster to ride?? Tell me about the acceleration and highway speed...

1540 with a 5mm stroked crank, 13:1 CR, 03 cams and mildly ported heads here. Still running the Mikunis, no flat slides.
Did the 5th gear swap too so cruising RPM is a lot less now as well.
Completed last year.
Sean did all the "figuring" for me and I did all the wrenching.
Have about 1500 miles on it so far (I'm away from home most of the year)

No issue at all so far, thing is a beast and ridiculously fast compared to stock. The torque feels out of this world.
Haven't had it to the track or on a Dyno so no numbers to offer. If i had
to guess (or wish) I'm hoping its gonna be somewhere around 170hp and maybe 110-115 tq, but that just my wish till I get it on a Dyno one of these days.

I didn't do anything special for cooling, the stock system handles it just fine. Highway temps are the same as before, it might climb a little faster in traffic but the manual fan switch takes care of that.

Have had it to Bandera and back so that's two days of 300 miles hard riding each direction there and back and then one day of about 250 miles of "hard as fuck" riding in the Texas Hill Country.
So I figure that 850 miles of hard riding would have shown me if there were any problems and there weren't.

Sean told me stroking it 5mm and therefore boring it less (its bored to 83mm) leaves more cylinder thickness and keeps the temps down some as compared to the larger bore Tour master.

I will say that my tendency to just beat the crap out of continuously is not like when it was stock; I'm always worried about something breaking since I built it and could have made a mistake somewhere. Its my first Vmax motor to have built.
Peace of mind is not the same as it was with a stock motor.
But isn't that always the case with a hot rod and did I mention holy fuck its fast.

You guys with the big maxs, just wondering, what kind of mileage do you get. Just thinking because I fill up an 100 miles on a stocker- how much range do you guys get?

Pure highway riding at 75-85 is right around 30-32, checked it the other day across Houston riding at 60-65 no traffic and it was upper 30's
Hard riding like we do in the hills brings that down to about 25-28, that's riding the piss out of it in the twisties.

I owned a year 2000 Vmax , bought new and had PCW do their 1500 Tourmaster at the 37000 mile mark. I ran it as a 1500 for about two years and never had a problem. Made 165 RWHP and never took a back seat to any bone stock Gen 2 Vmax. I did have a larger capacity radiator and manual fan switch to address the tendency to run hot in town. Glen Bears now owns the bike. I would be interested if he has had any issues?

rick rash

Rick, Glenn moved out to BC so last time i saw him was Thunder 2012. He was having some charging issues but nothing engine wise. He let me take his bike for a test ride. I was surprised how smooth and fast she was. One could easily get into some legal trouble with it. Very nice bike.

Dale

look up Jims "thevmaxrider" posts. He had a 1428 built and loved it. The quest for more power is never ending though lol

I own a Pcw 1500 tourmaster /Flatside carbs i pulled 167hp an 111 on torque as far as gas millage on the hiway i got 40 mpg on a trip a few yrs ago. Ask jim for the build #s on the block an call John Gainy at Pcw he will tell you all about the bike. Good luck and or welcome to the winning side if you choose to buy.

I have an 07 punched out to 1420. Stage 7 jet kit, K&N filters, ported and polished, 4/1 Kerker and V Boost enabled. According to the dyno she makes 146.5 RWHP and is ridiculously fast. Idles smoothly @ around 800 RPM and pulls like a train. I get 25/28 mpg and I don't care :eusa_dance:

Chris.

Bump.
Tell me more!!!!
Please!!!

Looks like somebodys got it bad :eusa_dance: This is the work of more than one monkey. Looks like the 2014 monkeys have been activated. Be afraid, Be very afraid:eusa_dance:

I'm surrounded by them... And those banana's are expensive as f--k....

"First you got the money..."
"Then you got the power..."

Just as fun as it is costly.
I love my Maxx and hopefully things come together for all of us in 2014!!!

Looks like somebodys got it bad :eusa_dance: This is the work of more than one monkey. Looks like the 2014 monkeys have been activated. Be afraid, Be very afraid:eusa_dance:

And just think.....your Vmax probably has 110-115 HP...Just imagine what it would be like with 140-165 HP...and ALL THAT TQ...(LOL...just trying to help you spend the money...)

And just think.....your Vmax probably has 110-115 HP...Just imagine what it would be like with 140-165 HP...and ALL THAT TQ...(LOL...just trying to help you spend the money...)

I'll keep in touch Eric as I still plan on making that trip to KC to visit Sean... Hope that new Rim is working out...:eusa_dance:

They are a blast, pulls like a train anytime, first gear is kinda useless when getting on it just smokes it and revs so quick, mine runs cool all the time but in traffic and alot of stop lights am running Engine ice for coolest and put on a manual fan switch, constant 30 mpg, cruises all speeds with no problems and behaves well

Had 1428 built by pcw racing never had temp problem guy bought it in Canada

rick rash
IAM GLAD I SAW YOUR MESSAGE AS I ALSO HAVE A 1428CC PCW VMAX CONVERSION & BETWEEN YOU AND I I WASNOT VERY HAPPY WITH HIS FINISH WORK , YES HE DONE THE CONVERSION BUT THE OIL FILTER COVER LEAKED & HE HAD GONE MAD WITH GASKET SEALER TO TRY & SEAL IT ALSO THE OIL BREATHER LEAKED & A MIRIAD OF SMALL THINGS LIKE INCORRECT CARB JETTING. IT WAS LUCKY THAT I KNOW MY WAY AROUND MY VMAX VERY WELL SEEING AS I HAD REBUILT IT TO STOCK SETTINGS ONCE BEFORE BUT ONCE IT WAS CONVERTED I FOUND IT RAN HOT & IF I WAS TO GET CAUGHT IN TRAFFIC THE TEMP WOULD JUST KEEP CREEPING UP DESPITE THE FAN HAVING BEEN ON CONTINUOUSLY ONCE IT KICKED IN JOHN AT PCW BLAMED INACCURATE TEMP GAUGE ON THE VMAX & NEVER ADMITTED THAT HIS CONVERSION RAN HOTTER THAN THE STOCK MOTOR BUT I KNOW IT IS RUNNING HOT SO I HAVE FITTED A MANUAL FAN SWITCH AND ORDERED A NEW ALLOY RAD DID YOU REPLACE OR REMOVE THE THERMOSTAT TO CURE YOUR PROBLEM ?

Latest posts

Back