1500 finally put together!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowprophet1

Reaction score
Sorry for no dyno charts at this time, but long story short, I (with the help of Sean of course) finally got my vmax made into a 1500! With the new higher compression pistons, I got the assembly balanced, ported my heads and v-boost manifolds, and used Sean's bigger 5th gear. I started it up, drove next door to my dyno and carefully (warming up the motor) loaded the motor harder and harder while watching the afr. After a dozen or so pulls now hitting as high as 8,000 rpms, I decided it shouldn't stick a piston if I go on the road for a test run. From the get go, the afr is in the 9's when floored until 6,500 or so. Knowing that I'm more than safe, I put on the helmet etc, and hit the road.
While already driving away in first gear, whacking the throttle will totally shread the tire and/or sky the front end it a split second (careful who you let drive it...skilled buddies only). In second gear (being extremely rich) starts to float the front end. I was not beating the crap out of the bike. I'd go in 4th gear, crank it up to about 7k, shift to 5th while coasting back down, down shift to 4th and do it again, and again, and again with little gentle cool down cruizing for a half minute in between.
I think every gear from 1st to 4th takes the same amount of time in between shifts. Very quick acceleration! When shifting into 5th, I just start to laugh because it is such a great match for the highway and it's new found power! I'm not claiming the hp is going to be as high or higher than the average 1500's, but whatever it's at now is more than satifactory. The fun factor is exactly what I was hoping for already! Once broke in and then jetted correctly, I think it is going to be quite a handful.:punk:
Thanks Sean for all your parts, guidance, expertise, etc! I'll try to leave you alone for the time being while I break it in and play with the jetting little by little. Marc Matczak.

Riding that baby for the first time is a little astounding isn't it.

I'm still half as scared of mine. Can't just whack it open like a madman anymore!

Congratulations!

Oh, just a thought, but if you have an a/f telling you 9:1, some instruments can't read lower than that. Mine won't.

You could possibly be even richer than that.
While we commonly hear that richer is safer, there's a limit to that called "ring wash" or "cylinder wash" where the massive amount of unburnt fuel washes away the lubricating oil from the cylinder walls and destroys the seal, resulting in lost compression, high oil consumption, and possible cylinder galling.

I accidentally did it to my wife's 350Z that I installed a Procharger blower on.

The blower discharge tube came loose from the manifold, the air flow sensor that was upstream from that was still seeing all that air flow but the engine wasn't getting that air, went super rich and pretty much ruined the engine.

Not saying your approaching that limit but just trying to give you a heads up.

:ttiwwp:

Grats on completing the overhaul and turning your max into a complete beast!

Oh, just a thought, but if you have an a/f telling you 9:1, some instruments can't read lower than that. Mine won't.

You could possibly be even richer than that.
While we commonly hear that richer is safer, there's a limit to that called "ring wash" or "cylinder wash" where the massive amount of unburnt fuel washes away the lubricating oil from the cylinder walls and destroys the seal, resulting in lost compression, high oil consumption, and possible cylinder galling.

I accidentally did it to my wife's 350Z that I installed a Procharger blower on.

The blower discharge tube came loose from the manifold, the air flow sensor that was upstream from that was still seeing all that air flow but the engine wasn't getting that air, went super rich and pretty much ruined the engine.

Not saying your approaching that limit but just trying to give you a heads up.

+1 get it closer before you ride a bunch and keep changing the oil, better safe than sorry!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

WOW.. Sounds like so ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much fun!!

I'd love to be the guy to throw a 1570 long rod motor in an 85 to show up at bike night with and pick off the wannabes. Probably have no problem picking off even the Destroyer that shows up. Of course I'm not divulging my new found cc s to any of them. Total sleeper unless I bump up to a 170 rear skin. LOL

I'd love to be the guy to throw a 1570 long rod motor in an 85 to show up at bike night with and pick off the wannabes. Probably have no problem picking off even the Destroyer that shows up. Of course I'm not divulging my new found cc s to any of them. Total sleeper unless I bump up to a 170 rear skin. LOL
LOL, that would be fun! But wouldn't you need something a little bigger just to have some traction? 'Shor would be fun going sideways wherever you went! I'm sure a 1570 would even give a 200 Shinko Verge a blister or two after just one run!

LOL, that would be fun! But wouldn't you need something a little bigger just to have some traction? 'Shor would be fun going sideways wherever you went! I'm sure a 1570 would even give a 200 Shinko Verge a blister or two after just one run!

The verge on my bike hooks hard, hell I can't even spin it on the street but I'm a heavy guy and my bike isn't that fast lol later in the season I'm going to find the limit on it though with my progressive nitrous controller, hoping it'll hold 40% initial hit and 1.5 seconds to full power (at the track) but gonna start lower than that... I can't wait to build a new engine, got the combination all thought out already :)

Btw, congrats on the new build Snow!! :)

Back