17/18 Inch / Radials : Discuss!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostntheshell

Reaction score
Hey there. I am seriously thinking about the options on this conversion.
Just looking for some experts to chime in and give some opinions on the pro's and con's of the available options.

I am researching the subject - just looking for some input that may add to my list of things I need to find out before I invest in some rims / tires.

17 inch gives you the biggest tire selection.

as noted the 17 has more selections. Raises RPM's due to shorter tire height. Increases acceleration for the same reason.

18's maintain RPM (or lower them depending on the size) and acceleration. They also fill the fender up too which is purely cosmetic.

Sean

IMO 17's are the best setup for this motorcycle.

My buddy use to ride on 18 and hes planning to change it to 17.
He have lowered suspension and he have clearance problems.

If you will decide to 17 i may offer you preaty chepo conversion.

I also think that cosmetically, the 18" is WAY better than the 17" on a Max. The 17s just look wrong to me - too small. But then again, to each his own..

does anyone have any pics of a lowered max with a 17" rear, would there be any adverse effects running a 17" rear and 18" front? My bike is lowered 1.5" in rear and I am wondering how it would look with the 17" rear, I dont like the 17" in front because it just looks small with such a gap between the front fender and tire.

I like my 18's, especially with the bike stretched 6" and lowered 2". Not having put 17's on it I do wonder how it would look, but like anything else it is a personal choice and up to you what you put on your bike.

I played around with the idea of getting radials. They look really good and you do get improved handling and grip. However, on my last ride on the Cabot trail my Max and its stock wheels had no trouble keeping pace with the guys riding radials tires.

As a daily rider, my Max can get through 95% of riding situations just fine with stock wheels. The other 5% of the time: track days, moose-avoidance, knee-sliding, or just looking damn good while parked, radials are better.

However, if I had an extra 2 grand for rims and a few more bucks for rubber I'd go with 18's to try to capitalize on the lower RPM effect.

Blaine

I run the r/c's 18" my bike is lowered 2" all the way around the only time i had clearance issues was when i ran the metzler 200 and that was due to the width, now i run 180/55/18 metz. no prob.NOTE I DONT HAUL FAT CHICKS .The 18s are closer to stock gearing, the 17s make the max look like a motocross bike without fender mods,but more selection of tire width. Which ever size you chose its going to make your bike handle like nite an day. JIM#3933

Pic of 17" setup. 2" lower front, 1.5" lower rear. 3' stretched arm. Will have pics of the same bike with 18" later to post.

Sean

Attachments

• Shannon 117.jpg
    Shannon 117.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 113
Must've been fun getting the bike into that space between the walls.. lol

Actually looks pretty good lowered, but that would be way too low for me.

Also a question - wouldn't be that low kind of negate the handling advantages of going to radials, considering the lesser ground clearance?

The bike actually still handled well but maybe not as well as something not so lowered. We wanted a more dragbike look. It's about as low as you can go with that setup. The only thing i have lower is my dragbike and we even milled off the oil filter flange of the early engine for more ground clearance.

I turned the bike that way using the lean on the sidestand and turn it method that was discussed in another thread.

Sean

Same bike,

18" carr wheels, 1" shorter 430 shocks, Warrior front end with similar drop as before but maybe 1.5" instead of 2".

Sean

Attachments

• Kevins Max 1.jpg
    Kevins Max 1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 118
man i love cazz's. i love that warrior front end too. how much of a pain is it to do a warrior front end?

You want stretched?? Here's out most recent project. 18's and 6" over with mono shock.

Sean

Attachments

• P1014870.jpg
    P1014870.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 91
Back