17" or 18"? That is the question...............

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rénier Jonas

Reaction score
Hi guys

Newby here. How easy is it to change from stock wheels to either 17" or 18" inch superbike wheels? also, which size is best? Then lastly, what is the widest tyre that will fit front and rear with stock swingarm and between forks?

Thanks for any advice.

I sell 17" and 18" conversion rear wheels. I don't have conversion's for the stock front without a completely different wheel. The 17's have more tire selection and sticky race compounds while the 18's have more diameter for less highway RPM's

Hi guys

Newby here. How easy is it to change from stock wheels to either 17" or 18" inch superbike wheels? also, which size is best? Then lastly, what is the widest tyre that will fit front and rear with stock swingarm and between forks?

Thanks for any advice.
You have the right avatar

Hi guys

Thanks for any advice.
took a while, must use 17mm spindles, if you chose Yamaha rims Thunder Cat in front and XJs900 EU Police bikes mostly see the Bourne Movies. 5 spacers required in the rear. I'm not supposed to share the machinists drawings. I chose Aluminium sleeves on eBay called axle spacers. The 3 spoke rims are what the 85 Vmax Conceptual
drawings show along with '83 Venture slider covers (3 verticle lines on either side of the cover).

Attachments

• IMG_20211022_094710004_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211022_094710004_HDR.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20211022_094710004_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211022_094710004_HDR.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Less hwy RPM ? Really! the tire wheel Combo are the same height so wtf?

I sell 17" and 18" conversion rear wheels. I don't have conversion's for the stock front without a completely different wheel. The 17's have more tire selection and sticky race compounds while the 18's have more diameter for less highway RPM's

Less hwy RPM ? Really! the tire wheel Combo are the same height so wtf?
a 180/55-17 vs a 180/55-18 for example is 1" shorter total height or diameter. You can offset the height difference of the wheel but running a different aspect ratio to make up the difference between rim diameters.

How much different ram. 17 18 and what a 55, 60, 65 tire. A drop in rpm would nice. Another gear would too.
You have a website or something?? Thanks

You can see some stuff at MorleysMuscle.com
More stuff in the various photo albums (named for product type or customer build) in the Morleys Muscle Facebook page
And best to contact me at [email protected]

The wheels for gen 1's are usually 5.5" width and the 180 width usually fits best but 200's on an 18 or 190's on a 17" will usually fit (though may require some notching of the arm or what we call the "washer swap" done.

18 inch will put you very close to the RPMs with a stock 90 series 15in Tire. Going to a 17in with a 50 or 55 is going to noticeably increase your RPMs but the bike will accelerate quicker but cost you top end. As our bike is more about acceleration than top end that may be a worthwhile trade-off.

We just had a family vacation in Asheville & went to the Pisgah National Forest and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Be careful riding there! Plenty of places you wouldn't be found for a long time, should a moment of distraction or inattention put you over the edge of a cliff. One thing I noticed is there are practically no shoulders to the roadways. In the Pisgah National Forest, with its corkscrew narrow roadways, sight lines are often limited, and it would be easy to imagine a vehicle crossing the center line because of the tight turns. The pic below was the driveway to our 5 br. rental in Franklin. It doesn't do justice to the steepness, which I would estimate at a 30 degree slope.

Asheville NC.01.jpg

I'm gonna recommend several things. https://ashevillepinball.com/ If you like pinballs and early electronic games, this is a fun place to attend, you get to play the majority of games for the cost of admission, there are a few 'premium' ones. From ages 4 to ? (Social Security +) you can find multiple games to play.

Asheville NC.03.jpg

The S&W Market is within walking distance of the pinball arcade/museum, there are multiple food vendors and on the second floor is a brew pub The S&W Market: Downtown Asheville Restaurant & Asheville's Food Hall

https://swmarketavl.com/best-downtown-asheville-brewery/
There are many well-maintained older buildings in Asheville, this is one of them. The brew pub is worth visiting if you like beer. If you don't, the choices of food make it a worthwhile stop.

If you've never been to the Biltmore Estate, I suggest you take the cheaper tour. Yes, it's expensive to get in, but the house and its grounds, developed by a 'captain of industry,' George Vanderbilt, in the late 1800's, is very impressive. I can't imagine the cost to maintain this property. For us, it was worth the cost of admission. Biltmore Our Story We did a wine tasting and enjoyed the experience after touring the grounds and house.

A H-D rider enjoys the wine choices and waits to enter the wine tasting.

Asheville NC.02.jpg

One of the downtown murals. This one was by the pinball museum.

Asheville NC.04.jpg

We just had a family vacation in Asheville & went to the Pisgah National Forest and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Be careful riding there! Plenty of places you wouldn't be found for a long time, should a moment of distraction or inattention put you over the edge of a cliff. One thing I noticed is there are practically no shoulders to the roadways. In the Pisgah National Forest, with its corkscrew narrow roadways, sight lines are often limited, and it would be easy to imagine a vehicle crossing the center line because of the tight turns. The pic below was the driveway to our 5 br. rental in Franklin. It doesn't do justice to the steepness, which I would estimate at a 30 degree slope.

View attachment 83643

I'm gonna recommend several things. https://ashevillepinball.com/ If you like pinballs and early electronic games, this is a fun place to attend, you get to play the majority of games for the cost of admission, there are a few 'premium' ones. From ages 4 to ? (Social Security +) you can find multiple games to play.

View attachment 83645

The S&W Market is within walking distance of the pinball arcade/museum, there are multiple food vendors and on the second floor is a brew pub The S&W Market: Downtown Asheville Restaurant & Asheville's Food Hall

https://swmarketavl.com/best-downtown-asheville-brewery/
There are many well-maintained older buildings in Asheville, this is one of them. The brew pub is worth visiting if you like beer. If you don't, the choices of food make it a worthwhile stop.

If you've never been to the Biltmore Estate, I suggest you take the cheaper tour. Yes, it's expensive to get in, but the house and its grounds, developed by a 'captain of industry,' George Vanderbilt, in the late 1800's, is very impressive. I can't imagine the cost to maintain this property. For us, it was worth the cost of admission. Biltmore Our Story We did a wine tasting and enjoyed the experience after touring the grounds and house.

A H-D rider enjoys the wine choices and waits to enter the wine tasting.

View attachment 83644

One of the downtown murals. This one was by the pinball museum.

View attachment 83646
Thank you Phil. Tips and suggestions are always welcome.

Biltmore's wine was very nice on my visit 15 years ago. I bought 4 bottles...

Reminder , I am not a wine connoisseur by any means.

Back