17" & Radial

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mungry

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the forum and to the Vmax, and sizing one up with a view to it being a project. I've moved from the country to the city and as such the twisties are going to be a rarety, so something that goes like stink in a straight line and looks brutal is the order of the day - hence the Vmax. I'd like to end up with upside down forks, chain drive conversion and some frame bracing, with an aspirational view to a highly tuned (Maybe FI?) engine.

BUT, while I am not being motivated by cornering prowess (and thus not buying an R1) I would like to get to reasonable handling as quickly and cheaply as possible while saving up for the elements involved in achieving the above. So, as I understand it the quickest and most effective upgrade in the handling department is to get to a set of 17" wheels and radial tyres. I have been looking at other 17" shaft driven wheels that could fit straight on with minimal tinkering have come up with some that look ok.

I understand that diversion rear will fit, but is only 4" wide and thus will only take a 150 section rear tyre - not wide enough. The BT1100 is wide enough, but I'm not sure about the final drive and fitment.

Any suggestions for the best, quickest and cheapest route to 17" with 120 at the front and 180+ at the rear?

Thanks for your advice!

Hi guys, new to the forum and to the Vmax, and sizing one up with a view to it being a project. I've moved from the country to the city and as such the twisties are going to be a rarety, so something that goes like stink in a straight line and looks brutal is the order of the day - hence the Vmax. I'd like to end up with upside down forks, chain drive conversion and some frame bracing, with an aspirational view to a highly tuned (Maybe FI?) engine.

BUT, while I am not being motivated by cornering prowess (and thus not buying an R1) I would like to get to reasonable handling as quickly and cheaply as possible while saving up for the elements involved in achieving the above. So, as I understand it the quickest and most effective upgrade in the handling department is to get to a set of 17" wheels and radial tyres. I have been looking at other 17" shaft driven wheels that could fit straight on with minimal tinkering have come up with some that look ok.

I understand that diversion rear will fit, but is only 4" wide and thus will only take a 150 section rear tyre - not wide enough. The BT1100 is wide enough, but I'm not sure about the final drive and fitment.

Any suggestions for the best, quickest and cheapest route to 17" with 120 at the front and 180+ at the rear?

Thanks for your advice!

Id check with kosman. They can do a weld up on your rims. Probably for under $1500 all said and done. However, id also talk to sean about his cazz deal.

That sounds good, I'd seen something about the Kosman option online. They take the inner part of the wheel and weld a new rim on, that's right isn't it? Only problem I can see is that I'm in the UK (London) and Kosman is in the US, right? not sure about sending wheels around the world, that's kinda why I was asking if there are any stock wheels anyone knows about that might work.

Forgive my ignorance, but who is Sean and what is his Cazz deal?

Thanks for replying!!

ah yea they either weld up new lips on your rims or as you said remove the hub. shipping from UK to cali would NOT be cheap. i'm sure someone could help you out if you wanted to buy a donor pair on ebay and have them send it to kosman then out to you to cut down on shipping or similar. Sean i'm sure has some potential beat up rims.

also Sean (one2dmax) on the forum owns morley muscle who i believe is getting another run of carrozeria rims (spelling?). here's a pic:

YAMGallery63.jpg

Welcome to the wonderful world of the meanest looking bike on the street.

If you're on a budget. May I suggest the 17" rear tire from Cycle One Off and the front wheel off a Yamaha YZF 600

Both tires will accept a stock Vmax brakes and rotors.

The Cycle One off tire will require that you bolt on your existing drive shaft hub.

The front tire setup will require some shaving at the end of your forks [regardless of year]

Attached is my setup

Attachments

• DSCF2547.jpg
    DSCF2547.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 75
A member here sold the bike you are dreaming of for a song with all invested. Look up Rick Rash in the gallery section

Contact prez (Satariel666) he may have some rear wheels left or possibly make one for you (he did one for me and it came out super nice and I fit a 190 tire in the stock swingarm). That would be the cheapest for you since you are in EU as well shipping should not be that much. Otherwise you're looking at about $100 shipping each way from U.S.(I know from experience) Once you get the rear wheel, you can put a radial tire on your stock front wheel and you're done. This is the CHEAPEST way which is what you asked for.

However...in my opinion the bike will not look right with two different looking wheels on it. If this doesn't bother you than you're pretty much done, if it does read on... :)

If I had to do it all over again, I would go with Carrozeria wheels and progressive springs front and back (contact one2dmax, he's working on a deal now). I understand budget is a big concern but in my opinion it has to look right as well and I don't think there is a better looking wheel for the vmax out there. The only thing with the carrozeria wheels is that the rear would be 18" not 17". At the time I converted my vmax to radials it was pretty much impossible to find used Carrozeria rims plus I had most of the suspention parts laying around so it way way cheaper to go that route.

If I was starting from scratch and had no parts to use, Carrozeria wheels would be the only option I would consider. After all set and done, you can expect to spend anywhere from $2500 to $2800 (very rough calculations)

Best of all, the parts bolt right up with no modifications required and you can do everything yourself.

I think this is by far the best mod you can do for the vmax, yes even better than power adders :)

Is there any how to somewhere explaining the shaving of the front fork for setting up a Yamaha YZF 600 rim ? I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to do it.

Not too bad. Just requires machining the inner portion of the leg down to handle the extra hub width of the sportbike wheel. I want to say .250" has to come off it. Not the whole leg - just the area where the axle passes through and is "raised". It's been a long time for me though so I am not sure I have any pics.

Sean

Since you are in the EU i can set you up with some of the mods you need. Pics follow below and if interested send me an email...

Freshly polished ZX9R forks, stepped billet triples and front wheel and fender (used)

img4434d.jpg

img4438zn.jpg

img4436r.jpg

img4440gy.jpg

Rear 17x5.5 rim adapted for the Vmax in any powdercoated color (click here for further info)

img4422b.jpg

Looks good! Weasel, can you do a rear R6 wheel? Going to be updating a front end with a 2006 R6 front end and may need a converted rear.

Sean

Yea, but we can get them cheap here and ship one!

Sean

That will probably be more expensive. Thats why i prefer not shipping bulky items across the pond. Here in Portugal a rear rim from an R6 will run for about 200 euros. I haven't done any R6 but Prez says its doable. As long as the hub is at least as wide as a Vmax one its doable.

EDIT - Sean can you give me the wheel specs? rim width and hub diameter and cross-section? I don't know how much those wheels cost there, but if including shipping you can make it less than €200 its cheaper. Send me an email and we can sort it out through there...

Probably get one here for $50-$100 and then would need to ship. I'll see what we can find.

Sean

You need to turn it into transmission drive type rim... Do a search on it and you'll see lots of examples. You can check for my thread (new wide wheel) on "CNC, fabrication and projects" section for you to have an idea

Latest posts

Back