17" rear wheel options? FJR wheels?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedz

Reaction score
Greetings!
New here but not so new with Motorcycles and working on them. I ride 8 months a year or +30K miles on all my motorcycles annually, I find that working on my own motorcycles is the only way to (affordably) keep my machines on the road.
So in going with that I was very upset to find after the first rear tire was toast that there is little no good options for rear tires. Don't get me wrong I'm satisfied with the Shinko 011 however I swear by the Michelin Road series. When the front Dunlop kicked I replaced it with the Michelin Pilot road 4 GT, very happy with that tire and how well it works with the Shinko. However It's not as good as having both front and rear Road 4 GTs.
So back to the original question. Is there any 17" rear wheel options for the Gen 2 VMAX? Would a newer FJR1300 rear rim work? I do understand the gearing would be slightly affected with a 17" rear rim however it is a price I would pay to run exceptional sport touring tires. I have already put close to 4K miles on my gen 2 and really enjoy riding it as a touring rig. I think with a 190 55 ZR17 I'd only be off by 2.5% difference in size or the speedo would read 65mph at 63.3mph (IE).
I would love any reference ya'll might have for getting a 17" rim on the rear so I can run tires I have over 100K miles of experience on.
Best,

I do manufacture a custom VR-1 17 x 6" rear wheel for the V-Max. It is a V-Max original hub centre from a stock wheel, machined down and mated to the rim and spokes of a 17 x 6" Yamaha R1 wheel.
It aint cheap, but professionally built, fully balanced, freshly powder coated and shipped worldwide.
I am also working on a 17 x 3.5 R1 front rim conversion. The VR-1 rear looks natural enough on a Max, but nothing would be better than a matched pair. The front will NOT need to be welded.

Hit me up at [email protected] if you're interested.
They are made to order, but I am fixing to do a couple soon.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• 2658D10B-F20B-4FBE-B7AB-05DD58F3040E.jpg
    2658D10B-F20B-4FBE-B7AB-05DD58F3040E.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 103
I just fitted a yamaha 600 diversion 17 wheel to the rear years ago no problems.

I must be losing the plot as it was over 15 years ago i did it . Ok every one is saying its a 900 wheel and the spindle is not the same . Yor better checking on the vmax club site

Fixing to make 4-5 of these, if anyone is interested. Also going to make matching VR-1 front wheels(no welding) so you can go full 17" if you desire. Fit Gen 2 only.

Attachments

• IMG_8803.JPG
    IMG_8803.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8811.JPG
    IMG_8811.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8813.JPG
    IMG_8813.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8820.JPG
    IMG_8820.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_8822.JPG
    IMG_8822.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_8824.JPG
    IMG_8824.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Fixing to make 4-5 of these, if anyone is interested. Also going to make matching VR-1 front wheels(no welding) so you can go full 17" if you desire.

Wow- your welding work looks phenomenal- Is this your hobby or profession?

I may be interested for sure- What price range are we talking and I presume you are affixing the VMax specific hub to the wheel in this way?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

VmaxIslandKai, I have been TIG welding (and other welding) for over 30+ years. Always loved making cool custom stuff.
The stuff I currently do is only for the Gen 2 Max. I use the centre from a factory 18" wheel, and the outside is from an R1 wheel.
It's a lot of bits to get together, then CNC machine the parts to fit, then weld, balance, test and powder coat.
$2K will get you a Rear wheel, ready to put your bearings and cush drive into. another $500. will get you a matching R1 front rim.
A set going to Canada in the coming months, so you'll see the finished work in a custom colour.
Cheers
Mike

Latest posts

Back