17 yr. old son

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bud7680

Reaction score
Looking for a first bike for my 17yr. old son. He is 5'10"/250.:moped:

I taught him on my GZ250 last year and he rode a moped for 2yrs before that. This is his experience on the road with bikes thus far.

I think something like the Vulcan800, Drifter800(cool)
honda magna 750 or super magna
yamaha maxim 650(had an 81 myself,sold it:bang head:)

there are others I have been looking at but was hoping to get your input as I seem to be limiting my options for him with my knowledge.

Trying to stay within a budget range of free-2000.00 or so!

Dont want to get too old or have to fix too much. i looked at a Kaw. Eliminator for 1500.$ (4th gear was out) but , just thought it was too much bike for him at this time , hope you would agree!

Sooo, what are your ideas----HELP!

Trying to stay away from crotch rockets, although if they are the ones that sit more upright I would consider.Thanks

Last edited:
Yam 650 series , bulletproof motor , plenty out there for parts.

Lots of sites devoted to the models over the years. From stock to bobbers to cafe racers to ( choppers , not recommended )

Here's my '70 , first year.

Attachments

• DSC01104.jpg
    DSC01104.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 13
I have a '94 Magna for sale in that price range, but I'm in California. Getting it to you might be a bit of a problem.

Harley 883 Sportster :biglaugh: U can pic um up cheep

He said that he's already learned on a scooter.

The Magna's are great learner bikes, go for the V30 (500) or V45(750). Both are v-4's and powerful given their size. My '85 V30 was absolutely bulletproof, nothing ever broke and it ran like a swiss watch. Plus that 500 was a lot of fun with a 12,000rpm redline, it would scoot around pretty good. I picked mine up in MINT shape for like $1500. Nighthawk 650's are nice as well, and can be had on the cheap.

If he wants something sportier a used Ninja 250 or older 500 isn't a bad choice either.

An older Suzuki GS series is fine too....I taught myself to ride on a GS450. 22hp, flat out top end of about 85mph. Good learner though. Light, easy to handle, power most definitely was not overwhelming.

If you don't want to work on it, buy a Honda. I love my Vmax, but IME Yamaha's just aren't built quite as well and tend to need a bit more attention over time. I've seen the most neglected, trashed Hondas fire up with a bit of TLC and everything still works perfectly.

an sv650 might not be a bad choice. could probably score a really nice deal around $2k.

WHAT ABOUT THIS ONE?

1998 Suzuki Intruder VS800. Great running cruiser. 16000 miles. Runs and drives great. Had complete rework 5 years ago.

Has starting issue. Replaced battery with brand new one but it did not correct the issue. Will start with a jumpbox but I think it needs a starter relay or starter. Outside of that. Really nice machine. Just don't drive it enough anymore to keep it around. Comes with cover for it as well. Price 1300 obo and Cash. Clear CO Title. Sorry the girl is with me and is not included. We have to move this as soon as possible

WHAT ABOUT THIS ONE?

1998 Suzuki Intruder VS800. Great running cruiser. 16000 miles. Runs and drives great. Had complete rework 5 years ago.

Has starting issue. Replaced battery with brand new one but it did not correct the issue. Will start with a jumpbox but I think it needs a starter relay or starter. Outside of that. Really nice machine. Just don't drive it enough anymore to keep it around. Comes with cover for it as well. Price 1300 obo and Cash. Clear CO Title. Sorry the girl is with me and is not included. We have to move this as soon as possible

Sounds like it could be a winner. The starting issue sounds weird, why it would start on a jumper box but not a new battery..... as he said could be a bad solenoid or something. Those are not expensive and they're fairly generic, any starter relay will work on pretty much any similar vehicle.

I suppose I got my Vmax at 18, after about 5k miles on the GS450 and 10k miles on the Magna V30.

+1, these are great starter/intermediate bikes.
'01's and 02's in decent shape go for $1800-$3000

they seem to be pretty forgiving down low and very popular bikes. easy to resell or get nice goodies for.

if you only want to spend say $1300 and find one for $2300, i'd ask him to put up the difference or pay u back, i think you'll find he'll get more out of it.

but hey thats my $.02

Got any pics? Which magna is it? lemmee know!:punk:

It's a 1994 VF750C. Right now it's getting new front fork seals and a new drive chain installed. Already has new ME880 tires, front & rear. It also has the centerstand, offset brakestay rod, and 4" risers, all of which I make and market for the 3rd-generation Magna. I used this bike to develop all the parts I make for the Magna. You can see several pics of it on my website
http://www.cycle-istic.com/
It has high miles, but has many more miles left in it, than it has on it. Check it out on my site, then e-mail me if interested. Links are on each page.

Awsome bike for beginner or experienced riders!!

http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/2563283913.html

+1 on the SV650. Honda had a nice naked 600 too for awhile (I think they called it the 599). If he is looking for something a little more 'cruiser' I would recommend a Honda Nighthawk or Shadow. You should be able to score any of these bikes around your price range if you look around and be patient.

I bet I can find a nice motorcycle here in CO. And since you're moving here soon you wouldn't have to transport it. Sv650's are definitely a nice more upright sportbike and the nighthawks seem to be very popular here in CO. Can't go wrong with a 750 shadow either. Cheap and look nice with a few chrome accessories. Let me do some digging on the local CL and see what kind of treasure I can find.:ummm: Sincerely, your son, Hunter( the 20 yr old with the sick-ass VMax.):punk:

I bet I can find a nice motorcycle here in CO. And since you're moving here soon you wouldn't have to transport it. Sv650's are definitely a nice more upright sportbike and the nighthawks seem to be very popular here in CO. Can't go wrong with a 750 shadow either. Cheap and look nice with a few chrome accessories. Let me do some digging on the local CL and see what kind of treasure I can find.:ummm: Sincerely, your son, Hunter( the 20 yr old with the sick-ass VMax.):punk:

Cool, and lookin forward to riding that "sick-ass Vmax" in a couple weeks when Mom and I come out for the GREAT AMERICAN BEERFEST! :eusa_dance:

Last edited:
I've read all the posts here...lots of great ideas but......my son is 17 and I purchased him a used SV650S, a fuel injected 2008 model. All I can say is "wow" when it comes to the SV. Has great power...surprising I might add, very light weight, great handling, and when it was stock, 55-56 mpg ( son rides pretty easy until we get together :biglaugh:, ). Overall great machine and so "light" feeling. I'm 5' 11" and weigh 240.....pulls me like crazy. Anyway, thought I'd jump in here. Let us know what you decide......later

Last edited:
Back