18" radial tires for front and rear

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

427FE

Reaction score
Looking at doing a converted stock/factory (to 18") rear Gen I wheel and running a 180/55-18 radial tire. Looks like I would have to run a different front radial for the front 110/90-18 either from the same tire manufacture or different tire manufactures - ? Looking for suggestions....

Thanks,
John

I am not a tire expert, I am not an engineer.

I suggest you run the OEM size front radial tire (though the VMax Gen 1 didn't come with radial tires). Also, use the same brand and type of tires, as mixing manufacturers, types of construction and compounds can make for an evil-handling motorcycle. I've posted and contributed to numerous threads about this.

I have this bolt-on wheel, a 5-1/2" X 18" size available. PM me if interested.

5 one-half inch X 18 inch VMax rear wheel.jpg

A better front wheel to have would be a 3-1/2" X 18" which is wider than the OEM. Also, you probably won't find a same as OEM aspect ratio sized tire, and will have to go with a lower aspect ratio, as that's all that is available. I run a 110 radial on a stock front wheel, and while the width isn't optimal, it works.

Last edited:
I suggest you run the OEM size front radial tire (though the VMax Gen 1 didn't come with radial tires). Also, use the same brand and type of tires, as mixing manufacturers, types of construction and compounds can make for an evil-handling motorcycle. I've posted and contributed to numerous threads about this.
I agree! But I cannot find a matching radial set, 110/90-18, 180/55-18

Also, you probably won't find a same as OEM aspect ratio sized tire, and will have to go with a lower aspect ratio, as that's all that is available. I run a 110 radial on a stock front wheel, and while the width isn't optimal, it works.
What front tire are you running? What is your rear wheel / tire specs? Thanks

I am also a big proponent of using the same brand and type of tires. But it can be difficult to find them, as we already know it.

After a lot of consulting and researching, I chose these two pictured below. Bottom line was, they must be of the same brand and as close as possible design.
I also tried to stay as close as possible with the size, not to affect speedo readings and engine rotations relative to normal per factory gear changing. I even called Avon and their representative said these would be a compatible match.

This was a few years ago, maybe 15k km? Not sure as I don't really keep track of this, and switch riding between 3 bikes. The tires are still nice and soft and lots of thread left on them. The bike is very stable, even when I took it up to the limit just a bit shy of 240 km/hr (even without intiminators and Progressive 444 at the time). It would be nice and be able to experiment, but if available, I'd buy these again when the time comes. 0h, and the swing arm is stock, and nothing wider would fit (and I don't want anything wider). I had some rubbing on the rear brake m/c stay bar, but I ground it a bit and no more. Nothing drastic and it was just showing as a shiny thin 'chicken strip', and riding with a passenger. So, really just a really light contact like maybe in polishing, nothing more, no adverse effect on the tire.

my-vmax-radial-Avon-tires.jpg

I had some rubbing on the rear brake m/c stay bar
There are offset brake stays you can buy to prevent that.

I applaud your research to find compatible f & r tires. There's less possibility of problems from incompatible tires.

As I've pointed out in other threads about radial tires on a Gen. 1, yes, there are a few times when the manufacturer mixes a radial-ply rear with a bias-ply front. Harley-Davidson is one of those. Of course, the company has a staff of engineers to design the bike's geometry for such a use.

There are offset brake stays you can buy to prevent that.

As I've pointed out in other threads about radial tires on a Gen. 1, yes, there are a few times when the manufacturer mixes a radial-ply rear with a bias-ply front. Harley-Davidson is one of those. Of course, the company has a staff of engineers to design the bike's geometry for such a use.

The offset brake stays - I was researching them at the time. There are some nice fancy ones out there! All aluminum CNC etc. Eye candy. Would love to have one but the price just doesn't justify it for me. Perhaps if I had no other interests and hobbies beyond Vmax. I think eventually I will simply notch the stock one more and reinforce it by welding extra piece od steel on the opposite side. It really doesn't need much.

Just a piece of information that I remember on the mixing tires subject. If done, I was told not to put radial in the rear and ply in front. If ever really doing it, and I really don't know for what reason, if there would be any benefits, the radial should be on the front wheel and ply on the rear. I actually talked to just one guy who had done it, and he said he was fine. But he said he rides mostly in straight line, not a big twisty road person. I know pretty much nothing about Harley, but from what you are writing this is exactly what they do.

No, don't mix! Bias-ply f & r, or same method of construction, same manufacturer of radial f & r. Preferably the same rubber compound.

I’ve been running this combination for some time now with no ill effects. Only problem is the front tire is shorter so the speedo is off a bit.

Front- Bridgestone Battlax sport touring T30F. 110/80-ZR18.

Rear- Bridgestone Exedra
G850 radial. 180/55-18 rear

Ho
I am not a tire expert, I am not an engineer.

I have this bolt-on wheel, a 5-1/2" X 18" size available. PM me if interested.

View attachment 89399

A better front wheel to have would be a 3-1/2" X 18" which is wider than the OEM. Also, you probably won't find a same as OEM aspect ratio sized tire, and will have to go with a lower aspect ratio, as that's all that is available. I run a 110 radial on a stock front wheel, and while the width isn't optimal, it works.
How much for this rim?

Latest posts

Back