1983 Yamaha XJ900 Seca

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles Long

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with this bike?
A friend of mine is thinking of purchasing one. Attached find an actual photo.
Looks to be in great shape, only 15,000 miles.
Would this be classed as a "collector"? I believe they had a very short production run.
Cheers!

Attachments

• 1983 Seca.jpg
    1983 Seca.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 45
Bike is in excellent shape. Only made one year so very very rare. I have a spare engine here I am planning to use on my turbo seca at some point.

They were excellent bikes at the time and I am sure will be a great bike still.

Sean

I owned a 82' SECA 650. Very reliable. I'd imagine a 900cc would be a blast to ride. I was about 190 lbs and rode two up often. I rode through rain storms and she NEVER stumbled. As she was my first ride (19 yrs old) i dropped her a few times. I had a buddy drop her. She never hiccuped or gave me problems.
I adjusted the Carbs and slid out the baffle cores not knowing what was what and she never ever gave me a hard time. Grab what you can for the right price.. History is fun to ride..

-KarmaKatt-
5652km

I don't expect you will sell it for big $$ in the future, so buy it for the right price & enjoy it as-is. I think something like that would be a $2K bike, any more than that & I would look for a KZ1000 because the aftermarket support is much stronger.

I looked at the pic & doubt they want to sell it for my low price mentioned, it is v. clean! But, I still think he would be better-off w/a KZ1000 for parts availability. I looked in the National Powersports online inventory & didn't see it. Those bikes were a sporty, downsized version of the XS1100 w/cafe styling. I think one of the period reviews referred to its styling as "spaceship." Sadly, they probably gave someone $800 trade-in & want $3800 for it now. But, they are the ones w/the overhead for insurance & bricks & mortar, employees, & inventory.

The 1980's inline 4 DOHC Yamahas were overbuilt.

Last edited:
I remember those bikes. Very beautiful and I would love to have one. They didn't sell well because its competition was 1000cc or larger and were faster. Believe they were popular in Europe though. That and the 1982 Seca 650 (silver and blue) are great bikes.

One thing, the head pipes are blued badly. If that is the stock exhaust system with double wall pipes then it has been run very lean and/or very hot. If aftermarket single wall pipes then probably no problem.

For an older bike it sure is in great shape, for a second I thought it was a stock photo.

One thing, the head pipes are blued badly. If that is the stock exhaust system with double wall pipes then it has been run very lean and/or very hot. If aftermarket single wall pipes then probably no problem.

Aftermarket Vance&Hines exhaust. Sure is a beauty of a bike!
Being so rare, wonder if my buddy will have trouble getting parts?

Attachments

• Seca.jpg
    Seca.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 19
Any idea how many were made and / or where they were shipped t?

A one year only , 30 year old Jap bike that was not at the top of the bike food chain will probably have a few issues with NOS / and / or used replacement parts. Does look good though. :punk:

If I had the money and space, I would buy it just to have it. I loved it when it came out but we were all in a horsepower race those years and went for the fastest every year. Has a shaft drive and as I said was very popular in Europe. Yamaha thought since it was so popular there it might sell here. Bad decision....

Parts would be a problem with any Yamaha of that period, even more so with this bike. May be some stockpiled in Europe if can find a club/website for that bike.

Supposedly made in the 90's on hp. Light (for it's day) and respectable handling. Nice lines and a classic bike that won't look out of place anywhere he rides it. Parts are going to suck to find for "hard parts" but maintenance stuff should still be no problem. There are a couple of really good XJ support groups out there.

When I got my spare engine to use I looked for probably 5 years before I found it. Then the pecker heads broke the damn head while taking it apart to ship. I'll have to weld it up at some point if I use that part.

I have my first bike still which is a 1983 Seca Turbo (also a rare bike). My plan is to make a modern fire breather out of it! Currently working on installing an inverted front end. I have a bunch of different engines I am going to make a hybrid out of.

85-86 Maxim "X" - Possible Head Donor
87-88 FZR1000 - Possible Lower Block Donor
83 Seca 900 - Possible Block Donor
86-87 Fazer 700 - Possible Crank Donor
83 Seca 650 - Main Block to Match UP

Got to make a hybrid version of these to use the 5 valve setup and watercooled with as much CC"s as I can get. Then lower piston compression for maximum boost. Goal is over 200 rwhp at 15psi which should be VERY easy to get with the components available.

Sean

Back