• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1985 vmax black, 16k miles, #0245

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killjoy

Reaction score
Just wanted an opinion on what the bike is worth and I'm considering letting it go. For the right price. Located in southern Colorado
Just rebuilt the carbs with overhaul kits and installed two new slides and diaphragms and have been synchronized, oil just changed with Bosch filter and castrol 10-40, has a brand new gel cell battery, fresh premium has tboost, cobra slip ons that I knocked the center out of so they are wide open, has K&N air filter in the stock airbox, just put on the emgo broomstick bars and new grips, has billet mirrors. Metzler 880 tires front and rear, front was new, rear at 90%. I'm waiting on my title from the state but it is clear. I would rate it about a 9/10
No 2nd gear issue, was told by P.O. that it had a Double diapragm in the clutch.
Runs excellent as you would expect. Rode it once and it kinda isnt my ideal commuter bike so I would rather it go to someone who really wants it.
My local dealer is convinced since he booked it for 9000 that I should put in on consignment so he gets a piece of the action. Nope. Just want an honest opinion from you guys.

Attachments

• 20170418_162123.jpg
    20170418_162123.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 20170418_162353.jpg
    20170418_162353.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 20170418_163348.jpg
    20170418_163348.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 51
Also has a new voltage regulator and mini turn signals.
However, it is missing the tool kit, the little reflector under the passenger pillon, and the center stand. Includes a VMX1200c-n 1985 factory service manual.

The value would be more with nice stock mufflers, the original color. And the bars and mirrors back to O.E.M. As is, it's a nice clean Vmax. $9 k isn't realistic. It's best value is as an unmolested vintage 1985. 2nd gear on this year is a detriment, unless upgraded. There are other issues with early models also. I've got to think about what I'd pay for this bike. If I were looking to buy one right now, it'd be a low mileage 2005-2006. A nice one can be found for $5k.

Unfortunately it is a fact of life, that it doesnt matter what something is worth, it matters what someone is willing to pay for it. I know that the 85's have a higher book value....but some one would probably only be willing to pay around 3500 for it, and more likely closer to 3000.

A serious Vmax person might be will to pay a bit more for an 85.....but to the average person, a Vmax is a Vmax.

Here is Daves for 2800.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/mcy/6117528778.html

This is why I asked. Book value means nothing to me because every market is different. Is far as what its worth to me, I feel the sentimental value is worth more than 3000. Doesn't hurt me to leave it sit in the shop as a conversation piece and just buy a beater to commute on. Thanks for the honest opinions. It seems the vmax is somewhat of an obscure beast.

If you could return it to original condition it would be worth more....altho the 1FK pipes, in good condition, are difficult to find if you don't already have them. As for becoming obscure....the '85's will soon be 35 years old, and eligible for 'antique motorcycle' status according to the AMCA (Antique Motorcycle Club of America).

I believe The VMax is going to generate considerable interest in certain circles at that point.

Why wouldn't you just ride it? Motorcycles aren't built to sit in a shop or to be conversation pieces.

If you're not gonna run it, consider draining the gas tank, it has a plug for that, and empty the carbs' bowls. Cycle the gas pump until it's drained by turning on the key, w/the gas line to the crabs disconnected, do that outside and have a fire extinguisher standing-by for your protection.

As a static display it would be a conversation piece in any collection. The more stock, the better. if you're gonna run it a couple times a month, use gas stabilizer, find an ethanol-free gas source and use that.

As to price, $3K would be an average price, $4K would be 'higher than normal.' First year unaltered bikes in really-good shape might pull more than that, but I don't think you're gonna see $5K in this market. Realistically, there are decent VMaxes hitting the market now for <$3K so I think we are probably at the lowest point in the depreciation cycle. Owning a bike like this for an investment of <$3K is a screaming deal. As I've mentioned before, you see all-sorts of people trying to sell 'brat-bikes,' 'bobbers,' and whatever other cute names they use for hack-jobs, cutting off rear frame loops, installing tractor saddles, throwing-away the front & rear fenders, and other butchery, and they ask $5K for a bastardized CB350; that doesn't mean, they get it.

If your bike is in good shape, I suggest keeping it that way, enjoy it, and try to find the OEM equipment if you don't have it. That's how it will be worth the most, even if it's not mounted on the bike.

I just looked at the bike pics, a clean example of our favorite bike. If you want to sell it, I'd ask a bit above $4K and take whatever cash offer comes closest. Even if you choose not to sell, you have lots of riding in southern CO to enjoy. You might open the fork tubes to see if you have Progressive Suspension springs in there, anyone who takes the time to do the double-disc clutch diaphragm springs probably did something about the front forks too. Run about 10 psi air pressure and your springs will work better. Keep your brake and clutch fluids clear, and flush them completely every couple of years, to reduce the deterioration of the components due to water and corrosion.

You're all talking me out of selling it. Besides the fact That it was a gift... And its not that dont genuinely want to ride it. Its just if and when i drop or crash a motorcycle, I wouldn't want it to be this one. Its hard to own nice things. I never thought twice when lowsiding my old dual sports and even my virago. But I couldn't forgive myself is some careless driver took this bike away from me. Know what I mean.
And yes I totally understand. There's a cafe style cb500 4 on craigslist for like 7500... What we want we dont always get. But I'll most likely ride it to chama or the red river ralley and play during the summer. Then stare at it during the winter.

You're all talking me out of selling it. Besides the fact That it was a gift... And its not that dont genuinely want to ride it. Its just if and when i drop or crash a motorcycle, I wouldn't want it to be this one. Its hard to own nice things. I never thought twice when lowsiding my old dual sports and even my virago. But I couldn't forgive myself is some careless driver took this bike away from me. Know what I mean.
And yes I totally understand. There's a cafe style cb500 4 on craigslist for like 7500... What we want we dont always get. But I'll most likely ride it to chama or the red river ralley and play during the summer. Then stare at it during the winter.

I bought my 85 new. Rode hell out of it until 2002, when I bought me a new RoadStar. The Max was set up for storage and moved into the basement, where it was to sit till about 2006. I woke it up in 06, and it has been on the road ever since. I joined this forum and learned a whole lot more about the bike than I ever knew before. A few mods to it - COPS, Series voltage regulator, headlight relays - and its just as sweet a ride as it was when it was new.

Keep the bike. It costs nothing to store it, and the day will come when you want to ride it again. If you sell it, chances are you'll never get another one.

If you could return it to original condition it would be worth more....
I believe The VMax is going to generate considerable interest in certain circles at that point.

I agree with the Original 85 being worth more...... And be of more Interest to Collectors....

For someone looking to add a decent icon to their collection, yours looks like a good candidate. The price isn't too-bad either.

I know there are people who come to the states from the Far East, looking for certain bikes. A good shape 1st year VMax should be something they would be interested in, the closer to stock the better. I don't know how you would reach that market.

I have an acquaintance who has decided to invest in things besides Italian and German sports cars, and cool old bikes. He has a couple VMaxes, they are maintained by a couple of Yamaha factory mechanics who will now probably be looking for work as the herd is thinned. His stuff is really, really, well-maintained.

I'm going to accumulate as many stock bits as I can, and put it back to original as I'm not missing much. It really is in great shape with no mechanical issues.

Latest posts

Back