1985 w/cracked chrome on forks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickvoodoo

Reaction score
I have inherited a 1985 Vmax from my cousin which needs work, some cosmetic and some mechanical. My first major issue is what to do with the front end. Prior to my owning this the bike the forks were straightened but I see one of the tubes has radial cracks in the chrome plating. My cheapest option is to find replacement 40mm fork tubes but I am interested in other possibilities as well? I am no corner carver but my last max was a '93 with the larger forks and it took alot of work on my part to eliminate the death wobble and keep it tight at 150+. Now I have a bike with an even less stable frontend, would it be better to upgrade to a '93+ front or USD or...? Being married with two kids limits how much I can spend, but I do have a milling machine and a lathe to make/alter parts. If need be I could call in some favors and get access to a CNC mill. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I do mostly freeway riding 60 miles minimum each way to work.:ummm:

Sounds like with your skills a USD setup would be easy. Triples for the USD aren't that hard to make. I'll be making some up and will share the drawings sometime in March... busy right now. The newer radial brake R1's are the ticket and can be had for a reasonable price. Check out this post... FRAME You can get an idea on parts and prices. Maybe you can post it up as a project and save me some work.

Or get a hold of Sean Morley (one2dmax) and he can set you up with everything you need to put her back together. I have stock (late model) forks and no wobble. If you set it up right you'll be fine.

Chris

Latest posts

Back