• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Motorycle For Sale 1985 Yamaha VMAX for Sale

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed that right off myself. Reason is my Gen 1 V-Max is also a 1985. When I purchased it I was the second owner of the bike as well and the original owner never had any problems and the bike was mint with 4,800 miles. The bike was solid with no overheating and the bike had the original exhaust pipes on it. Anyway....

My exhaust shield was just like that in the picture as well. I asked one of the lead mechanics at the local Yamaha shop why it looked like that and he told me it was because the aluminum under the clear paint that came from the factory had oxidized underneath over the years. What I did was sanded down the aluminum flat sides of the aluminum pieces and it shined up just fine with some Never-Dull. With the black paint recessed down inside the grooves and the shiny part showing, it looked amazing and still does to this day.
Ahhhh.... Never-Dull. Love that stuff. Did the same here. Been using that stuff for 50 + years.

Agree. If memory serves thise (sic) are plastic and can change color. The headers in the rear are single walled so get damn hot.
Would that be, "plastic-coated?" As-in a clear-coat? I assume you're referring to the rear header connection to the cyl heads, vanity covers?

Mine also turned a slight tint of gold, it's been that way since I had it in '93, I just assumed that it was color-coordinating with the other pieces on the engine like the round covers that are a light gold color in the segments for the stator/rotor left side insert, and the valve covers. Maybe Sean knows something about this? Is/are all the engine covers mill-finish aluminum and clear-coated, and they 'turn color' from heat cycles, over-time?

I always presumed that the slight gold finish on parts was just to break-up the black engine block and engine side-covers.

Last edited:
Would that be, "plastic-coated?" As-in a clear-coat? I assume you're referring to the rear header connection to the cyl heads, vanity covers?
Probably, too hot back there for that too be all plastic. I haven’t seen one of those in 10 years.

I agree, seems like there is a clear-coat that has oxidized over time combined with heat produced a slightly goldened discoloration.
Thanks for the comments and input from all.

Back