1986/1987 Yamaha Fazer aka "Mini-Max"

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u6crash

Reaction score
Hey folks, I mentioned in the introduction thread that my first bike was a 1987 Yamaha Fazer. I'm curious if any of you VMax fans have first hand experience with one of these. I did a search and only found a few threads where people talked about buying on on Craigslist.

The reason I ask is that I'm contemplating the purchase of a 1st Gen VMax, but I've been out of the motorcycle game for over a decade and might be a little rusty, especially given that I wasn't that experienced to begin with. So i'm wondering if the VMax is going to be more power/weight than I would be comfortable with.

I'm attaching a picture just for kicks. If you're not familiar with it, you can see why they call it the Mini-Max. To be fair, it's not mine I stole it from Jim Downey's Restoration Page. I actually like the way a Fazer looks a little better than the VMax, but I bet the VMax is a little more comfortable for longer rides and the parts are easier to find as the Fazer was only imported into the US for two years.

I really appreciate any insight you folks can give me. Thank you!

Attachments

• fazer.jpg
    fazer.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 79
They pop up now and then. Sean one2dmax had a couple forsale.. sweet bikes.. vmax all the way lol more comfort unless your a wheelie poper and knee dragger.. to bad you weren't looking last year.. this one popped up and was a good deal... there's no pic but you will get the point just reading

http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=25590

You can ride a vmax light or hard. So if you take your time to get the feel for it you will be ok. The bike isent crazy fast but in a straight line it will get up to 120 mph fast so you need to make sure you have enough realestate to back it down. The vmax is built for a straight line so you dont want to push it in turns until you get a feel for it. Its a very fun and cool bike. If you open the exhaust up it sounds like a v-8 and when you show up on bike night other rider will ask about your ride. I hardly ever see other vmaxs and when you show up with a swarm of them it even more fun. The coolest thing about owning a vmaxs is all the cool friends on this forum.

In trying to answer your question, the Max will be markedly harder to manuver while parking or around the twisties. I think you'll find the increase in power intoxicating. If you felt comfortable or even bored with the Fazer, a Max will be right up your alley. Fazer is not as well supported parts/mods wise so you might feel limited in what you can do with it but the Vmax screams, Mod Me ! Lastly, you can probably buy a decent Vmax for what some guys are selling clean low mile Fazers. Good luck which ever way you decide.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I'm not really looking to get another Fazer unless one came along for the right price. Actually, I think one just went locally for about $2k. The best price I'm seeing on used Vmax's is about $4k. I kind of think I might like to try something with a more relaxed riding position some day, but I'm still young enough that I can sit upright instead of leaning back. I wouldn't say I was bored or too comfortable with the Fazer, but I could manage it.

Thanks for all the insights, folks!

The Vmax is mean, agreesive, and a bigger statement. BUT, I can make your Fazer wax the Vmax in handling AND power! It won't be cheap though it will be cheaper then a new bike would be.

Most vmax's make mid 120's rwhp with a header and jet kit. I can make your Fazer make in the 130's with an engine swap. That's on a bike that is 200lbs lighter. Bascially, you'd need 180-200 rwhp to keep up with it.

We have a few different upgrades for brakes, as well as wheel/tire conversions to get radials on the bike. I have a solo seat body set conversion we're going to be selling too. Even have a lockup clutch and nitrous system for the Fazer.

Sean

I owned an '86 FZX700 Fazer for 13years. I purchased the bike in 1989, a pristine example with 5100miles on it. I must say it was and is one of my favorite motorcycles I have ever owned. You just don't keep a bike for 13years if you don't love it. Last year I got an '07 Vmax,one owner bike,low miles,still had the original tires on it. In some ways these bikes are remarkably similar. The biggest difference in the bikes is simply the extra mass and weight of the Max.Its a relatively large and heavy machine to push around the garage or maneuver in a parking lot.But if you can physically handle the extra mass, I think you would love the bike. There really isn't that much difference in the acceleration between the two. The Max is somewhat faster in a straight line, the Fazer is much better in the twisties. But by all means if you can deal with the weight buy a VMax, I think you will be like me and love it!

You make a Fazer look even more Max like with a round headlight and getting rid of that fugly rear plastic tailpiece on the Fazer. When Sean says he can dump a liter sized motor into a Fazer means he has already done it I think by dropping an FZR heart in there so he has worked the bugs out. Chain drive sure does help things too.

Yea, the 1000cc fixes any acceleration issues that some think they may have!

Sean

Back